1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California passes more progressive legislation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Aug 31, 2020.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well the really frightening thing is that this is just the tip of the ice berg. Think about how many dozens or hundreds of times a day Baffled encounters bullshit like this and just integrates it into his world view. Based on this example, he obviously doesn't have the capacity to critically analyse the info he is viewing. Now realize that 30-40 percent of the population are just like him. It's terrifying.

Reeko and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

People are sloppy on a BBS -- or I sure as hell am -- and I don't think we have to make this place like some sort of law school class.

To add to what some of the critics are saying: I don't think the human brain is a good match for the internet, at all. This isn't just old-man talk either. Parsing that much information and that many human voices is simply not what our brains evolved to do every day. So, we can say some people can't handle it and that they make these terrifyingly poor choices, but I think we all have to keep in mind that none of us are really fully equipped to parse all these data sets and voices. As I've said before, research shows confirmation bias isn't a flaw that just some people have; it's a design feature of the brain, (very unfortunately for the 21st century). Hopefully awareness is half the battle. I dunno. How many people want that kind of awareness though? Sigh.

rocketsjudoka and ElPigto like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't fall for that crap, he knew exactly what he was doing by posting that incendiary title on the original post.

And then once again he feigns ignorance and wants a mea culpa.

He does it all the time, its O's alter ego.

Reeko and CometsWin like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He wants the attention and then can play it off as not really researching the study.

He does it all the time, it's how he trolls.

Reeko and DaDakota like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

There's a wide gap between doing deep-dive research into a topic so you feel like you're an expert on a topic, and literally believing and posting any tweet you see on the internet from a person you know nothing about about a topic you have zero background or knowledge in.

I knew nothing about this topic either and within 5 minutes, I had a ton more information and expertise than the OP. My original post explaining the bill literally required a 4 second google search "SB 145 California", clicking a link, 1-2 minutes of reading that link, and then copying and pasting elements of that link here. I don't think that's too high a bar of expectations to set for people.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you actually believe he knew nothing about the original tweeter?

And he did not care about the actual law it was just something to stick it the libs.

I can't believe people are still falling for his act.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Speak for yourself ancient human.

B-Bob, Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  8. KingCheetah

I can't believe you are not more respectful to people trying to learn new information on internet.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

For the purposes of this discussion, I am taking him at his word that he's ignorant and gullible rather than a fraud.

ElPigto and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And I respect that.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob, I think is correct and I'm well aware that confirmation bias is an issue for me personally. But, what we're seeing with the citizens like Baffled is on a whole different level. This is how we get Q-anon and frankly, how we got Trump.

rocketsjudoka and B-Bob like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mega-lulz

13. KingCheetah

He is indeed extremely old... just look at that cheap hair die errrr dye.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like 80%. We live in a specialized society, are overworked, over consumed and over saturated. Anti-vaxxers, 9/11 truthers, and flat earthers are home to people of both parties, with income not a distinguishing factor. What's the use of a doctor's degree to think critically of news when you put in 10-12 hr shifts with kids waiting for you at home?

Just wait until there's a TikTok for phone generated deepfakes. Should be possible within the lifetime of another presidency.

Post truth world is a hard place to sift through. I can't see that many external rewards or satisfaction sifting through everything.

#SexyTedCruz has entered the chatroom

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. B-Bob

You are creating a hostile bulletin board environment.

(cc: @HR Dept )

Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.
  16. B-Bob

Yeah, there's definitely a spectrum. Let's put some distance between me temporarily believing an Onion headline about the Trump boys, (hasn't happened yet, but plausible, given my bias that the Trump sons seem to be idiots), and someone thinking Aubrey Huff is a source for legislation review, and then again between that and Q-Anon and flat-earthers (both of which are growing in numbers).

Also, I have heard some disturbing rumors about the government changing the regulation on what can actually go into prune juice. Anyone hear this? Asking for an... older friend.

jiggyfly and ElPigto like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Twitter is horrible. Pretty much all sensational headlines without the context. Its like the front page of CNN, Fox and the national enquirer without being able to click on the articles.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

OP definitely has a history of blindly believing whatever garbage he wants to believe.

To your point, and I think it merits discussion outside of OP's intentions, it truly is difficult to have knowledge on everything. However, some individuals need to better learn to read information first, do a little bit of research, rather than just posting garbage. We live in a society where beliefs and news are based of headlines and memes and some relatively well spoken douchebags (i.e. Ben Shapiro) that spew out a bunch of data to appear like know it all's and peole eat this **** up and don't bother to check the sources.

It truly is difficult, but I do my best to read what I can and do whatever research I can. I'd like to think I am well informed. Unfortunately, society doesn't like conversations right now, they simply want to throw lame insults and not engage in discussion. We'd all be better if we just engaged in civic discussion and actually tried to learn about WTF we are talking about.

Frustrating world to live in right now.

#58 ElPigto, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  19. KingCheetah

Your hair dye is causing monitor burn-in and ghosting.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How many times has @B@ffled called orgs like CNN, NY Times etc. fake news and not credible? Only to post tweets from random Twitter users and believe them without doing any research on his own.

SMH, do better and be smarter. You are just like all other Trump supporters. Not very bright.

Reeko, jiggyfly and ThatBoyNick like this.