1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California is Burning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 10, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love when 99ers destroy newbs

It's so beautiful

Yeah H-town has ALWAYS had flooding, but it's been historically worse and that goes for EVERY CITY IN THE WORLD THAT HAS WEATHER RELATED ISSUES.

Yeah, everybody in America isn't going to move to bunkers in New Mexico.

@Os Trigonum

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My niece and nephew are in Sonoma County. Their whole city got evacuated, but eventually the fires near their city got under control and they were allowed to go back. This keeps happening every year. They'll turn off power in large areas to prevent near fires from starting, but the fires start again anyway.

No damage to their house, but good lord is it stressful. These two kids have already dealt with enough.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unleash the goats.

Uprising and Xerobull like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. KingCheetah

It's probably already totally under control and extinguished with nary an ember in sight.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

California is burning is pretty much the norm now from June to December..

9. Xerobull

I was thinking about this during my workout and I see some flaws. It's pretty obvious that the people in this film are Luddites and are disdainful of technology in general. That's great because it informs their solutions, but to sell this to people better, a merged solution involving some technology would be more appropriate. Add in a brush hog to expedite the path-making for the goats rather than throwing logs or plywood on the stickers and manually trimming them down would go so much faster (one of the guys even says the grunt work is the path making). Then implement a gating system that would allow you to release the goats into the proper 'cells' of overgrown areas to maximize goat efficiency.

The goal for our world, when you look at sustainable solutions, is to take advantage of existing technology while using ages-old techniques (like goats) that help sustainability.

Brush Hog:
    [​IMG]

By the way, the youtube channel this piece is on is great but the videos all have that 'modern society and technology is the enemy' vibe. I love the ideas that they espouse like sustainable natural gardens and urban gardens, but at my age I realize that mixing in technology for efficiency's sake makes much more sense.

Uprising likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The people in the video aren't a part of the channel, that being said yes the people who run that channel are eco hippies who focus on green alternatives.

I don't think you're going to able to get a brush hog around the majority of forested terrain, but yeah point taken technology has its place, the question is how much is smart in what places, and at what point are green alternatives smarter.

My view is that we are in an age that has put technological advancement above all with absurdly little regards for the greater picture - the health and vitality of our planet and it's inhabitants. I'm all for the movements of living simpler, more sustainable, and having a decision-making process that includes much greater respect and thoughtfulness for the health of our environment. At the same time, technology has its place and if managed properly, is absolutely going to be for the betterment of civilization.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Xerobull

We agree then. I watched a few videos from that channel and they don’t have the same people but the subject matter is all similar. Living with less, but most of their subjects are very idealistic rather than realistic. To each their own, but I need my internet, air conditioning and amazon, although I can live with three day shipping.

Oh, I do think you can get the brush hog in if you work your way in like pac-man. Wakka wakka wakka

#151 Xerobull, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    ThatBoyNick and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amazon is awesome
    Prime!

Xerobull likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

Did they grow weeds on a golf fairway for that ad?

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Yep. Woke up to a weird orange colored light coming through the window this morning. It was just the sunrise amplified through the smoke. We're a good distance away, but Pasadena CA is just filled with smoke right now. There's little flecks of ash coming down everywhere. I understand what "Sweet Brown" meant when she said that she woke up and thought that someone was barbequing. It smells just like that.

Gonna reach 100° today. Not a fan, but just happy the fires aren't close.

15. KingCheetah

If they do get close you definitely don't want to fan the flames.

@rimrocker

OmegaSupreme and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

17. Xerobull

I’ll be 97 so I guess I won’t make the future lottery for the future planetary exodus ships. I guess my wife and I will dress in our silver future Sunday best and smile at the blasting off future Dragon-X rocket ships while giant future waves engulf us.

18. KingCheetah

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looks like Satan farted again.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Flight simulator 2020 is off the hook.

KingCheetah likes this.