1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California is Burning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 10, 2017.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You telling Americans where they can and cannot build their own houses....how ironic.

tinman likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

They have those...they're called sprinklers....

arkoe and BigM like this.
  3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So your analysis is that they should limit building in Houston, too. Got it. You say "reading is good" and then link audio.

Let's avoid building in any area affected by climate change, hurricanes, flooding, fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, and tornadoes. That's definitely a feasible solution.

tinman likes this.
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's raining this morning in northern California. Thank god.

tinman and B-Bob like this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Air Langhi and Surfguy like this.
  6. Senator

Senator Member

Don't get it.

Reading is good - but you have to click on the link to be able to do so! When in doubt, look for the link! There is a huge difference between sustainable, regulated development and unregulated overdevelopment because of lobbying power from builders and govt. It's not rocket science.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Do firefighters do back-burning in the US?

Where they pre-emptively do control burns through bush/scrubland to kill some of the potential fuel for fires.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yes all the time.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Backburns, more commonly known among wildland firefighters as burnouts, are done all the time to control fires. You burn out ahead of the main front, thus removing the fuels that drive fire spread. You do this from any defensible line such as a ridge, road, or river and secure the non-fire side as you go. There are numerous ways to do this under different and difficult conditions. Technically, backburn is a specific and extremely rare procedure done only under extreme duress, but the media likes the hard consonants of backburn and use it all the time, so it has become a common public reference to burn outs. (Imagine a whole segment of the public calling dunks “sink shots” and you get some appreciation of how we feel about backburn.)

Prescribed fire or managed fire or controlled burns are what we do to strategically remove fuels in anticipation of a wildfire when the fire danger is low. These typically occur in the spring and late fall or early winter. You might do a burn on a defensible ridgetop, around a community, or even to stimulate certain kinds of vegetative regrowth. These are done under optimum conditions for both fire behavior and smoke management and can take place in any veg regime.

11. KingCheetah

California is exploding again.

@rimrocker how bad is it?

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

They cancelled all Los Angeles west of Sepulveda

13. KingCheetah

Hurricane force winds predicted for tomorrow -- first ever extreme red flag warning.

14. KingCheetah

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm not rimrocker, but it's pretty bad out here. Mass evacuations -- 200,000 people or more -- mass power outages to try to prevent extra fires starting. The Kincaid fire in NoCal is just an absolute monster. And I've never seen winds out here like those hurricane force dry gusts we've had. It has burned up now to the scars of one of the last mega-fires.

In Sonoma county, a gust topped 100 mph. Really impossible to control a fire in that situation. I'm just amazed that (so far, as far as I know) nobody has died yet.

Buck Turgidson and KingCheetah like this.
  17. KingCheetah

I've been watching some of the coverage and it really is like a fire tsunami -- Reagan Library is in serious jeopardy. The leading edge of some of the fires is constant fire whirls racing across -- it's really surreal.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

[QUOTE="KingCheetah, post: 12684086, member: 4419" -- Reagan Library is in serious jeopardy. The leading edge of some of the fires is constant fire whirls racing across -- it's really surreal.[/QUOTE]

I'd feel horrible if his monument went up n flames but then I remember the lives you ruined during the McCarthy hearings via snitching.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I for one will never forget @KingCheetah and his sketchy McCarthy era behavior.

Also, this just in: Lakers forced to play half court versus Grizzlies.

BigM and KingCheetah like this.