1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California High School Students: Not Racists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

It was an 8 second clip how do you know they are memorizing hymns and songs?

I just think we sometime overreact to things we have little information on, you are doing some serious projection.

#61 biff17, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    dachuda86 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

projection of what exactly? People through that term around a lot without explaining themselves.

Also the tweet literally says he "sang Nazi war song behind closed doors". Have I seen kids jokingly do the Nazi salute out of context as joke? Ya. Have I ever seen kids learn a Nazi war song to sing? Nope.

Dude, kids prank. Not many prank as Nazis. It's perfectly acceptable to be curious with their state of mind when doing something offensive and stupid at that level. You can't pretend that none of us also experienced high school here. I never saw that ****. So why should I think it is so common?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally, never. Through my years of education, never.

It's possible though. But I think too that while it is fair and right to say that they are just kids it is also fair and right to call them Nazis.

That's my first impression of them and thats what they will have to live through for the rest of their lives. When you are a young black kid you are sometimes taught that first impressions are everything. Some of us don't get the benefit of the doubt. If you wear braids and baggy jeans that sag and Jordans in the 90s people think you're a thug. That's their first impression of you, fair or not, and for many black people first impressions are deadly.

My first impression of these kids is that they are racist. If it was just a Nazi Salute I probably would be more likely to fully absolve it..but learning songs and marches and...nah, they researched this, or at least someone in the group did and its possible that the rest of them fell into it due to peer pressure.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

You are projecting what their media habits are and YouTube views.

That clip is evidence of nothing but boorish behaviour, you can't even tell what song it is.

Nook, King1 and Silent_Bob like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I also think a lot of people have really been underestimating the recruitment drive from white supremacists online in the past few years.

It's very real and all the recent shootings and Ch'ville and this stuff isn't all some big coincidence.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well I don't know any Nazi war songs so probably not.

I'm not projecting them. I'm making an assumption. This isn't a court of law so I'm comfortable speculating. We all do it on this forum. It's conjecture based on how popular these "anti-sjw" youtube channels are and how they specifically target young adult and teenage males with gaming content. Someone is making those channels generate millions of views.

It's a reasonable assumption to make and a thread to follow. If I'm their parents, I would look at their internet history just to make sure that they aren't being brainwashed.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It definitely was a Nazi song and one of the guys posted it to his instagram, lyrics and all.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pacifica-high-school-students-sang-nazi-song-and-gave-hitler-salute

CometsWin and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People don't do things just because they are taboo and you don't like authority and whatnot. There are many taboo things, that you choose to do this very specific thing indicates that you just might enjoy it like Jeffrey Epstein and Larry Nasser with teenage girls.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just scanning my memories of high school. My senior year history teacher was really big on WWII history, hated the Nazis, etc. So on a test I had to write an essay on appeasement, of which he obviously was not a fan. So I made my thesis that the Allies gave up on appeasement too soon, partly to troll him and partly to have a thesis that stood out as different. I got a bad grade on that one and a little re-education session about the evils of appeasement.

Another time, maybe 9th grade, I was experimenting with drawing logos. I made one that could, I suppose, be misconstrued as a swastika. I put it at the bottom of a quiz for my french teacher. She didn't grade it, she asked me to explain the logo and I did, and then she tore it in half and gave me a zero on the quiz.

I was never in any danger of being radicalized. But in both those instances, the strong rebuke was probably useful in helping me find and understand where the boundary of acceptable behavior is. I felt (and kinda still feel) like I was wronged in both cases by teachers assuming the worst, but I also learned that you can't always enjoy the benefit of the doubt and sometimes people will bring the hammer if you get too close to the line. Of course, the internet complicates things for high schoolers nowadays. I'm pretty sure a national shaming is not what they need if they are just naive high schoolers testing the boundaries. At the same time, given there is also more risk today of online radicalization and there is more of a demonstrated threat from actual white nationalist terrorism, they need to stay much further away from the line. There won't be much benefit of the doubt extended.

(I also recall from high school how we had a freshman slave auction where seniors would buy a freshman for a week with the proceeds going to the PTO. I was auctioned in the ninth grade; it was all good fun (for the white students). But in my senior year a contingent of the teachers got it shut down. Remembering it now, how effed up and insensitive was that?!?)

fchowd0311 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If that's true then wouldn't there be more minority boys making nazi salutes trying to be edgy. How come it's just white boys that do it, and then some end up going on shooting rampages later in life.

11. JuanValdez

The description of it being obscure made me go and try to find it. None of the articles seem to identify which song it is. Herms Niel's most popular song is called Erika. Not sure it fits the "obscure" criteria -- it was a famous Nazi marching song and was featured in Shindler's List -- but composed early enough to have been in use by 1935, as described. The other song I was able to find English lyrics to was Edelweiss, but that was written much later. If it is neither of those songs, a simple google search doesn't readily give you the lyrics. You'd have to sing in German or else have a more custom delivery of the lyrics.

Also, those two Niel songs I found with English lyrics are some wussy songs. Maybe he wrote some other, manlier stuff. Both of these though are songs about longing to go home to see your woman, who is compared to a flower. I can't really imagine a high schooler being attracted to such a song if he wants to troll with some Nazi propaganda.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sounds like their alma mater and the hand symbol is their school alma mater... maybe some made it a hitler salute to be offensive and make a joke of it but it is fuzzy video... definitely not the full video either. You are biting on the wrong bait. This is a nothing burger.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

The thing that is fuzzy is your logic.

While I can say this incident does not prove they are radical, there is no doubt about what they were doing.

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Did you goto school in Alief? The same thing took place the year before I was in 9th @ Elsik.

15. JuanValdez

No, it was a private school. One on the hand, I'm glad we weren't alone in this; on the other hand, I wish we were. :(

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Uh... out of context?

What is this but you attributing Nazi behavior to the left? What the what?

When I was in school, everyone did stupid things, sometimes incredibly stupid things. Do you know how many kids in my school years did Nazi salutes and sang Nazi songs? None. Zip.

17. Buck Turgidson

The "accidental Nazi" defense is a new and amusing one.

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like some people have been doing lots of Yoga and have become really good at stretching.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You never heard people make anne frank jokes? Helen Keller jokes? Kids are assholes man. How old are you? Being offensive was default for most boys. Especially those in sports. You get entitled little assholes at private school and it triples. Also do you know german? That kid doesn't lol. His pronunciation is awful and obviously a dark humor joke. They cut the clip because I bet the kids were laughing their ass off. I am leaning that it is in bad taste but definitely not a secret nazi meeting like you all are making this out to be. It is far more likely they are pushing the limits on humor... because that is what they see comedians do. Push limits. Not saying it was pulled off.. but that is the most likely scenario.