1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

This might sound stupid but its just a thought. What if Yao started to drink/eat a ton milk or other high calcium drink/food? Would it be able to strengthen his bones? I looked it up briefly and this is a quote from wikipedia:

"Calcium plays an important role in building stronger, denser bones early in life and keeping bones strong and healthy later in life."

We all kinda knew that already but maybe we should force feed Yao a bunch of calcium to see if it might help. Worth a try at this point right?

p.s. this is my first thread so go easy on me please

2. CoolGui

CoolGui Member

I would assume the trainers and dietitians or whatever they have would have him on a proper diet and supplement. I think the wear on his bones is just natural for someone his size and how many minutes he plays. We need to get a good backup so he wouldn't have to play so many minutes. Deke was great, but did not really provide much relief over the season.

3. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Brilliant !!!!

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

1. wikipedia is not a credible source

2. im pretty sure its more complex than drinking milk...this is a 7'6 guy with 310 lbs resting on his feet... he jumps, shoots, rebounds...it's not that easy to get away with...

3. conditioning is key and he just has to train harder nxt season...

5. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain that Yao has a legion of trainers/nutritionist to make sure his max-contract-dollar-earning body is in tip-top shape...

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

hahah, nice suggestion but milk really doesnt do much for you after your a young kid. Despite those adds your bones stop absorbing the calcium from milk. We're the only creatures that drink milk after childhood...animals probably think we're gross.

7. Seth

Seth Member

I would like to think that our medical staff is already doing everything within legal drugs and stuff to get Yao as strong as possible.

It´s just very difficutl for a guy that big to be healthy while playing as much as he plays.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Learn Jeet Kune Do like Kareem did. Be like water. Absorb what is useful; disregard that which is useless.

9. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

East Asians have some of the highest rates of lactose intolerance

10. HueyNewton

HueyNewton Member

milk being good for bones is a myth, just made up for money in dairy industreies, thats not the right kind of calcium you need. We are the only species who drinks milk after they are babies, also the only species who drinks milks from another species(cats are fed cow milk from humans, not on their own).

anyways, accidents are accidents, just a mystery of life that can't be prevented

11. dafranchise0309

Fire Keith Jones and hire this guy ASAP!! If they ask you about your education tell them you slept at the Holiday Inn last night

12. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

true, wikipedia isnt always credible but calcium is known to build strong bones. milk is just one of the intakes.

13. halfling131

halfling131 Member

It's very possible yao was lactose intolerant / didn't drink much milk as a child, considering he's chinese.

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I've always wondered if his shoes have anything to do with his foot problems. Is one brand better than another or are they all just about the same?

15. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

okay, i had poor word choice in saying "milk", i was aiming at calcium in general.

16. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

im sure he does and im sure they do. sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What if they prescribed osteoporosis drugs to Yao? Wouldn't that work?

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Actually former Rockets trainer Anthony Falsone is Yao's trainer.

19. Crush

Crush Rookie

The structural part of the bones consists mainly of calcium, so yes you do need calcium intake. Whether or not you like milk or from milk or whatever.

20. Crush

Crush Rookie

Your muscles and nerves also use calcium and calcium can be removed from bones. So you might want to prevent that.