1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have great hope for KPJ. I really hope the Rockets support system keeps him healthy and in line. I think he can be a 20/6/6 guy. I agree with the earlier post pegging him as a pick and roll guru more than a point guard. I think if you feed him touches in those situations, isos and in transition and he will be fine with a point forward like cade. Just need another marksman in the backcourt and a rebounder next to Wood and the Rockets would be good to go.

saleem, Caesar, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Agree, I feel Porter can be point SG and do much of what Harden did.
    Step back 3's and poor defense for years. Must surround him with shooters
    and defenders though.

Too many facilitators/scorers can be like too much icing on a cake also. Some
    players are like Vinny Johnson the microwave (heat up fast) while others need
    to work up a lather and get a feel for the game.

Too many people here on CF's think it works on paper so it must work in real life.
    In real life basketball doesn't work that way. Egos, demeanor, temperament, desire
    to succeed, stat padding for free agency often can derail team success.

CF's need to work Wall and Eric Gordon into the equation for next season. I know
    they don't want to, but that is very much the probability. Each will need minutes
    to build up trade value. Problem is the market is getting saturated with PG/SG
    Combo guards. I counted about 20 going in the first round this season thru mock
    drafts and that goes without saying the T Maxey, Halliburton, Quickly players
    developing fast from previous years.

saleem and Caesar like this.
  3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Cade excels in the PnR game too. It was OSU's primary offensive set.

The other thing we need to remember is that whoever comes will be young. Those first few seasons will be key for these young guys to develop chemistry in the backcourt and understand what each other can do and play off of it. The benefit of tanking and getting them so early is allowing them time to develop that.

saleem, cheke64, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

U see how bigs can be taken advantage of come postseason?

then we got a whole bunch of perimeter players just dominating these playoffs

D-rock, Rudyc281, Caesar and 3 others like this.
  5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

What the NBA is showing is that length + athleticism >> natural size. As Rockets fans, we kind of already knew this in the 90's with Hakeem vs all the 90's centers and the stretch PF Big Shot Rob.

Issue is that those guys are even rarer; but have not typically required early lottery picks or max contracts to acquire. As more teams come to realize this, they will cost more.

I just don't think Mobley will really be this type of player. He just doesn't move around the court smoothly enough. I get that he is super young and could develop.

I just think the chances he hits that ceiling is super low; and I don't anticipate the Rockets getting that many chances in the top 5 to draft potential gold/silver star level talent.

I would rather take Green or Suggs. Not sure on Kuminga yet. He has the frame to be that elite 2-way guy but if he showed the natural BB IQ, I suspect he would be in the discussion for No.1 with Cade. Seems more like 3rd guy, elite 3&D guy.

Corrosion, Rudyc281, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s just not a big man’s league…Mobley would have to Embiid or Jokic caliber for me to truly be excited about taking a big with a top draft pick

AD could rarely take his team to the playoffs as the guy…Towns puts up monster numbers, and his team is still garbage every year with him as the best player…Ayton taken #1 overall, and while he’s pretty good, no one would want him as their best player or someone to build around…Wiseman just taken #2 overall, and he’s meh

skinny bigs like Mobley can also be injury risks

I’d take Mobley over Kuminga…Kuminga has the biggest bust or disappointment potential IMO because he simply can’t shoot…he could find a jumper and be very good when u combine that with his physical tools, or never find one and become Josh Jackson

if you’re a perimeter player that can’t shoot, then I’m not high on u at all, but that’s just me

39/25/63 shooting splits in the G-League? He was also a trash shooter in the Nike EYBL. Red flags everywhere when it comes to his potential as a shooter, but maybe he proves me wrong. I’m too scared to find out.

Corrosion, cheke64, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  7. H.D.

H.D. Member

Kuminga's comp (to my eyes) is Ben Simmons. Kuminga at the 1 has highlights that will make your jaw drop. Also, Green is not as tall as people are saying- watch the highlights and see him often the shortest person on the court.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah...i'd pass on a big at this point. Banchero and Holmgren look like more exciting prospects, especially with securing a perimeter player in Cade,Green,or Suggs first.

Obviously at #4, i'd take Mobley. #3 Suggs. #2 Green. #1 Cade.

saleem, cmoak1982, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

lottery on Tuesday…basketball jesus, please don’t fail me now

Denovo, Rudyc281, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agree that Banchero looks legit. I am just not confident Houston loses next season the way they did this past one. They'll be a lottery team but odds are they'll pick 5-10 is my guess.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm so happy to see this!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post of this thread. I also feel the same way.

Rudyc281 and Caesar like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was thinking watching Booker today that Cade kind of reminds me a bit of Booker offensively.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMHO adding Green or Cade to this team puts us in the mix.

Caesar, Bo6, Denovo and 1 other person like this.
  16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

To me, choosing between Cade or Green depends a lot on KPJ. Do you truly see KPJ as a cornerstone piece? If so, is KPJ better at SG or PG, and is he better than Green or Cade in the respective positions? BPA is a tossup between those two.

The highest floor is Suggs. I get CP3 vibes as far as command, composure, and IQ. He’s not flashy, but he’s very solid. His work ethic will determine if he burrows a niche effectively like CP3 has done with the mid range.

Maybe it’s a recency bias, but I’m not excited about Mobley. It just seems hard to win when your star is a big man. That’s why I’d be open to trading Wood, too. He’d probably be too expensive by the time there are a couple players clearly above him in the pecking order. Mobley and Wood would be an intriguing pairing if Cade, Green, and Suggs are gone. I just don’t think it’s a wining formula, which is ok as the Rockets continue to rebuild.

Caesar, coachbadlee and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In the mix of what, chocolate cake?

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The playoff mix. With another full season of play together plus new additions this team can make the playoffs.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude, worst to team to playoff mix, you'd be expecting cade/green to be instant and durable top 10 players.

Nothings impossible, but with those expectations, you're setting yourself up

I think we'll be in the mix for a top 5 pick next year regardless of whether we get this pick or not, regardless of trades or FA.

20. Denovo

Denovo Member

KPJ can play PG with Green or SG with Cade/Suggs. Fit isn’t a problem tbh.

I agree about Mobley. I’d also be open to trading Wood if we fall to 18. In that scenario our timeline would be even further back so it would definitely make sense to flip Wood.

Caesar likes this.