1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is offensively challenged????

You're so much better than this.

Look up his advanced stats again.

C'mon fam, let's do our due diligence better.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not only does he look small next to g league competition, he looks small next to high school kids. At 1:35 you can clearly see him being smaller than Nico Mannion...who is listed as a 6'2 point guard. At 3:20 again he looks to be the same size if not smaller than #25 Chasson Randle who is also 6'2. Huge red flag.

#1703 CXbby, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yep

5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

He definitely looks shorter than 6'5-6'6 in that video.

Here he is in 2019, standing next to Scottie Barnes and Evan Mobley. I'm sure all these guys have grown a bit since, but Scottie was about 6'8 then.
    [​IMG]

I think he's closer to 6'5 than 6'2, but wouldn't be surprised if combine measurements say otherwise.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBA got serious about accurate measurements so we'll see at the combine for sure. I expect 6'4.75 ish in shoes. Don't they do barefoot measurements now? Last year or a few years ago they changed it and everyones heights in the NBA were redone? DRose who was always 6'3 is now 6'2 for example. LeBron who was 6'8 his whole career is now 6'9 and somehow KD shrunk to 6'10 and everyone still calls him a 7footer

I'll go out on a limb and say Mobley isn't really 7ft either. It's clearly a selling point or his draft stock due to how he plays. Mobley is like over 20 lbs lighter than KD who still super skinny. Yikes, but it is a different league these days.

#1706 Caesar, Jun 15, 2021
    Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

I agree about the bust potential. I don't think he's "offensively challenged" but Mobley will have to put a lot of work into shot and touch. I think Mobley's two way unicorn aspirations come from his playmaking ability.

He is kind of the classic #2 pick.... high variance.

Corrosion and groovemachine like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen Green 'size' is a red flag??? But Jalen Suggs is good to go??? LOL this place is funny sometimes.

9. dmoneybangbang

The weight differences is pretty significant, ~20lbs. Obviously the official measurements will be the most telling.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's understandable. Isn't Suggs considered a PG while Green is a SG? I think we can accept 6'2 or whatever from a PG more easily than 6'4 from a SG, for example. I mean in looking at Portland's small backcourt, I don't think it's controversial to say that CJ's lack of height is a bigger deal than Dame's lack of height.

#1710 Haymitch, Jun 15, 2021
    Rudyc281 and YOLO like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Cade > Green > Suggs > Mobley > Kuminga for me.

I think you can make a case for Green, Suggs, or Mobley at the #2 spot. Suggs gets a bit underestimated because he doesn't have this super high ceiling like the rest, but the kid has the size, skill, and heart to be a multiple all star (probably not a 1st team player though).

jnuge90, Rudyc281 and Bo6 like this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Watching Suggs highlights and immediately what stands out to me is how short his arms are. Another guy with a comp to a guy who was built longer - Jason Kidd had a longer wingspan than Jalen Green at 6'8.5. Suggs has only 6'5" wingspan. So like the 6'11+ MJ/Kobe wingspans compared to Green, i think were underestimating how big of a factor that is in order for these players to meet their player comp ceilings. How will they do against long defenders? How will their game age as their athletic ability fades and they can't rely on it anymore or if injury takes it away at a young age?

Cade at 6'8 220 w/ an over 7 ft wingspan meets the criteria for his comps. Great size. Great leadership. Mature beyond his years. Alpha personality. Chose to go carry and lead a weaker school instead of joining a powerhouse like most everyone else near his rank. Obviously Green taking the challenge to play in the G-League shows his confidence as well, but i feel he needs a lot of time to gain those leadership qualities.
    Our franchise has no leader right now. Unproven coach coming off a 17 win debut season? John Wall and his off court issues and me attitude? KPj and his off court issues and immaturity? Eric Gordon trying to teach our guys how to scream for a foul and flail your arms around when you get no call?
    Even Kobe had vet coaches and Shaq + guys who came into the league older like Eddie Jones and NVE + solid vets on those early Del Harris Lakers teams. Horry/Ceballos/Kersey/BScott/Blount - all vets who had been in the Finals multiple times.

The fit on our team- specifically for Green or Mobley- bad influence?

Rudyc281 and BossHogg713 like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Okay the kid won't be like Kobe BUT Green will score just as well as Kobe. As time goes on he will be able to close games like Kobe.
    Hows that?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Offensively challenged may be a bit of an overstatement but he's a mediocre shooter at best and you expect more from a top 3 pick.

30% from NCAA 3 (20'9")
    70% FT rate
    .578 from the floor.

Nothing about those shooting splits or his offensive game says "Pick me I'm special" ..... I think the projections of "unicorn" are misplaced , at least offensively.

Yeah , he's gonna be a good defender .....

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Somebody else said it here but if he is an efficient 20 & 10 player with 3 blocks and 2 steals per does it really matter if 10-12 of those points come on lobs, offensive rebounds or in transition?

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

You can tell Kobe is more polished and has a cleaner overall game. Sometimes the slower methodical guys make better players.

17. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

At this point, I think a team would be crazy to take Mobley over Green and maybe even Suggs. I just keep thinking bust when I see Mobley. He seems like he would have trouble in crunch time when things get tough.

ApacheWarrior, Denovo and coachbadlee like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

In Kobe's rookie season ( I believe he was 18 years of age) I did see a slower
    methodical person. I remember Kobe year one struggling to get on the court
    despite his good stats.

Kobe worked hard on his game (footwork, strengthening, rating right, tone) as did MJ
    once they got into the league. I believe Green will as well.

I've posted the scouting report video on Green. There it noted the wingspan
    difference between MJ vs Green and hand size of MJ vs Green. I can't say that
    Green will ever surpass MJ on either of those features; but the scout did bring
    up vertical leap. Noted MJ vertical leap being 48 inch vertical.....but the video
    cited that back then the player was allowed to take a running start. Now they
    distinguish between standing vertical and not. The scout estimated that Green
    and MJ have very close vertical leaping ability.

The quickness can be a detriment. I had to learn to slow down my game
    to avoid errors/turnovers. Allow the play to develop. Green can as well.
    It's better to be quick and adjust than slow and not be able to adjust (get faster).

This is where Green is deadly; stop and go change of direction in traffic while
    possessing elite leaping ability. Quick first step plays into the quick turns
    or change of direction, immediately going from 0 to 60 in a heartbeat.

*Sidenote: the scouting video on Green did note that MJ could dunk
    with either hand. Green will need to work on that as a pro. Comes with
    strengthening his lower extremities as did MJ and Kobe before Jalen.
    That, going from boy body to man.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , it doesn't really matter how he gets them as long as he gets them.

That said , NO player in the NBA averaged 20/10 & 3 blocks this year.

Only one player averaged 3 blocks per for the season (Myles Turner 47 games)

Rudy Gobert had 14.3 13.5 2.7

Only 4 players averaged 2.0 or more blocks per. (Nerlens Noel & Clint Capela) Capelahad the highest average ppg at 15.2

Nikola Jokic led big men in steals with 1.2.

Maybe expecting 20/10/3/2 is a unicorn .....

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ralph and Dream didn't need to put up those numbers to be unicorns.

These subjective criterias are unrealistic.

ApacheWarrior likes this.