1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Cade is G.Hill 2.0 and id honestly like to see him in Detroit.
    Green has all time great level first step explosion and if that shot really is consistent which i think it will be because he has great form- he's got incredible potential. I see a Beal/Morant mix. Retro wise- Latrell Sprewell/Ray Allen mix. For some reason I dont see him as his listed 6'6 or 6'5. Looks 6'4 tops to me for some reason.

Suggs- I see Deron Williams in him. Id like to see Suggs use that crossover to open up some mid range daggers like Dwill.

Mobley- i see Bosh in terms of body type and demeanor and the way he moves, but if Bosh was in this draft- you take Bosh without hesitation. Bosh was just so much more polished offensively and with his footwork. Mobley has a long way to develop but can help anchor a defense while he develops on O.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

What does Cade have in common with Ben Simmons bedides height and skin colour? They play entirely different

Denovo, arabrocket, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

They don't even have height in common.

One is 6'7 and other is 6'10.

6'9 Scottie Barnes is more like 6'10 Ben Simmons. Point forwards with killer defense, deadly in transition and horrid shooters.

Caesar and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Cade Cunningham (hope it hasn't been posted previously)

same with Jalen Green

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Cade or Mobley for me at this moment.

Could Mobley and wood form a combo similar to Robison and Duncan?? I know the answer is hell no but trying to think of a 1-2 big man combo that these two could be.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cunningham would’ve averaged 7 apg as a 6’8 freshman if he was playing for Gonzaga

ApacheWarrior, D-rock and saleem like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

It's Cade #1 no doubt. If the Rockets get Cade then we have a floor general (where Wall was unwillingly) who can actually put teammates in good positions.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm going to change my mind again and say I hope we get Kuminga. He's a year younger than everyone else and it seems like the only thing he's lacking is some work on his 3pt shot and quite a bit of muscle. Seems to have a consistent motor. His G league efficiency was bad and that's largely because teams sat back and dared him to shoot and he wasn't good enough yet to make those shots. Clearly he has the explosiveness and aggressiveness to attack the rim and get to the line efficiently.

He's not as NBA ready as the other prospects and would need an extra year of development. His ceiling seems to be higher though because he looks like he can be a good to high impact player on both sides of the ball, which is a great recipe for a franchise piece. I think his year 2 could be better than any in his draft class, while Cade looks like he may be a lock for ROTY.

Would be happy with Cade or Green too but I don't think their ceiling is as high.

OTOH, Cade allows you to have a solid base for free agency 2022 when paired with Wood and hopefully an improving KPJ. Tate and KJMJ look like they will be extremely solid role players next season and especially after a summer of work on their game. Might Cade/Wood/KPJ/Tate/KJMJ be good enough to attract a big FA signing in 2022? If Cade and KPJ develop reasonably well, it's certainly possible and I think if that FA were top tier we could contend for home court right away. However, I'm not confident about Tilman and his reputation's impact on our ability to acquire FA's so I would rather not bet on that. Harden, Morey, MDA, Bzdelik, Melo, Paul, Westbrook: these guys have been pretty clear about how they feel about our organization. We can't be looking great right now.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've made the Jalen Green to Kobe/Jordan comparisons.

Video making the Green-Jordan comparisons

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have a similar comp, but slightly different

Zach LaVine

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I'm more familiar with MJ path.

MJ at 19 and now Jalen Green as he turned 19 this past Feb. Still room to grow on pure maturation.
    I posted MJ playing in his second year of college championship game. Similar body types as far
    as height and weight. Jordan played at North Carolina from age 18, 19 and 20 (3 seasons).

I would like people to keep in mind late bloomers.....David Robinson was 5'9" his junior year
    in highschool. Age 16-17. His senior year (age 17-18) grew to 6'6". Then shot up to 7'0" tall
    at the Naval Academy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Robinson

My understanding was David Robinson was suppose to be assigned to a submarine after
    the Naval Academy. Not when he passed 6'6", though.

Kuminga is listed as 6'8" in places...still 18. D.O.B. is October. He might still grow an inch or two.

#1233 ApacheWarrior, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I feel like all these plays should be able to run by a PG in a good college program.

Maybe its just me or maybe we have too many dumb players learning to play the game.

bmelo and ThatBoyNick like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It seems like every year all the players listed in the top 5 or 10 are all compared to superstars, HOFers and all-time greats

Cade is Grant Hill or Tatum or Doncic

Mobley is Bosh or KG

Suggs is Jason Kidd or DWill

Green is Jordan?

Kuminga is Kawhi?

I just think it's really silly. The 2003 draft isn't every draft. Most drafts will be lucky to have 2 all-stars produced out of the top 5, and the NBA is usually lucky enough to get blessed with a true bonafide superstar/HOF player once every 2-3 drafts.

I remember Harrison Barnes and Dion Waiters drawing MJ/Kobe comps, it's an awful thing to do to a young player lol

dmoneybangbang and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Most do, but most are junior/sr and 6'1 170

A 6'8 220 freshman doing it is interesting

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Other notable players with late growth spurts:
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Pippen
    Dennis Rodman
    Dwight Howard
    Duncan
    Westbrook
    McCollum
    Ginobli
    Zion
    Cadillac Anderson (what the heck Spurs)
    others

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right, but how many non-notable players with late growth spurts? :D

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly....that's the possible prize in the cracker jack box called "one and done" college player
    or Jalen Green, Kuminga, Isaiah Todd and others as one year G-league players out of highschool.

The possible growth spurt weight gain in the form of muscle mass.
    Going from boys to men.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I agree with this...people are setting themselves up for major disappointment with these comps

MJ and Kobe has been getting thrown around a little too loosely when talking about Jalen Green. Jalen Green is a generational level prospect now?

dmoneybangbang likes this.