1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wish I could.

2. DonatelloLimestone

could be the case, but the nba has a much more open court, fast pace, and better space to where he can showcase more of his talent. He lacks foot speed and blow by athleticism, but so does luka, he’s crafty with the ball and can shoot well off the dribble. Along with his size makes him a very intriguing prospect and he can play 1-3, Is a wiling playmaker so should compliment a lot of talent.

suggs also can take advantage of the open court better then in college , but will have to work on his shot

groovemachine likes this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

rj was more athletic and explosive. He was a top pick before college even, had an incredible showing with team Canada if anything his experience in duke lowered his value a bit.
    Both are tall playmakers, Cade has a better shot and more crafty passing, rj has more raw athleticism thus more defensive potential. In any case both are high lottery top3 talents.
    nothing in the draft is guaranteed, but cade would be very exciting for Houston

xtruroyaltyx and saleem like this.
  4. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I like the idea of taking Cade if he's available. He's got good size and a good feel for the game. Body control, the ability to change speeds (not necessarily blow by people) and ball handling are key traits for a lead guard. I trust those aspects of his game to translate. Cade, Porter Jr, Martin Jr, Tate, and Wood is a nice crop of skilled young guys. Even if Cade doesn't become a Superstar, with the right veteran role players I can us being a scrappy 8 seed that could attract the next superstar that hits the market.

Houston isn't LA or NY but we've actually had decent success in getting guys to come here whether through free agency or forced trade. Of course some of those hyped moves didn't pan out the way we expected, but attracting top talent won't be an issue for us as long as a decent foundation is here. I don't think we need a multi-year tank in order to rebuild this team. Athletes like it here and the franchise has consistently had nationally relevant teams and stars since the 80s. I don't have any expectation of that changing.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Dwight & CP3 picked Houston because we had Harden

who are these stars and who in Houston would they want to play with?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

Interesting looking back at Luka’s scouting reports. Basically the same marks against him as are put against Cade except Luka was a poor iso scorer and 3 point shooter and Cade was elite at both.

Pray for the #1 pick.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

people put way too much stock and importance on athleticism...that’s why we had people thinking Luka could bust or struggle in the NBA

yet we have so much evidence of guys killing it in this league without having elite athleticism

Shai gets whatever he wants via skill and shooting ability currently averaging an efficient 24, 5, and 6 as a 3rd year player on a bad team with some of the worst spacing in the league

Shai is 6’6 with a 6’11 wingspan...Cade is 6’8 with a 7’1 wingspan

ElPigto, saleem, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Cade projects to a great player in the Magic Johnson, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, LeBron, Andre Iguodala Point forward mold. I think it is a safe bet that he will be at least as good as the current Julius Randle in the future.

Jalen green comparisons for me is maybe Lillard and DBook with the athleticism of guys like Kobe, MJ, Dr J and 'Nique

Mobley seems like a more nba ready Chris Bosh or Serge Ibaka. I would be excited to see him work with Hakeem as he has the type of footwork and explosive leaping to pick up a lot.

Not as excited about Suggs and Kuminga, but both seem like safe picks for solid nba players.

Current Rocket Kevin Porter Jr I would say could max out as a cross of Harden and Gilbert Arenas

sydmill and raining threes like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I see no harden in KPJ game

chadyang likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well you must not be looking very closely then. James Harden has always been the player most people compare him to and it's on record that Harden is the player KPJ idolizes. See a few examples:

The Cleveland Cavaliers management traded for him because they saw James Harden potential. - https://cavaliersnation.com/2021/01/22/report-cavs-saw-james-harden-potential-in-kevin-porter-jr/

NBAdraft.net noted in their scouting report that Kevin Porter Jr. idolizes Harden and has polished some of his moves - https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kevin-porter/

But, if that isn't good enough for you, maybe take it from the man himself. When asked about the Harden comparisons, Porter Jr. said, "I couldn't ask for a better comparison." - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/19/18684292/kevin-porter-jr-2019-nba-draft

And here are some more quotes of Porter Jr. himself likening himself to Harden and talking about how he molded his game after Harden's. - https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-kevin-porter-jr-compares-his-playing-style-to-james-harden/

But if after all of that you still don't see it, maybe watch this video?

D-rock and CVcrew like this.
  11. thekad

thekad Member

Porter Jr. doesn’t have the bball IQ, strength or shooting ability of Harden which are the things that make him special. He compares more to Spencer Dinwiddie.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Strength and shooting ability I agree but what profound bball iq did Harden show at 20 that KPJ isn't?

cbass and Amel like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fair comparison.

Especially since Dinwiddie's NBA comp before he was drafted was James Harden.

mikol13, Jontro and Williamson like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

LMAO @ Binkley.

cheke64, saleem and chadyang like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Literally nobody has those things (except the shooting ability). And absolutely nobody 20 years old has those things (including James Harden). I find it highly improbable that Porter Jr ever becomes anything near the player Harden is - there are easily less than 50 human beings in all of history who have done that and maybe as few as 25. HOWEVER, it's very clear he has modeled his game after Harden's and to say you don't see similarities is to say you are willfully blind.

17. BigTex

BigTex Member

Chad Ford believes the top 5....Cade, Mobley, Suggs, Green, Kuminga....all would have gone #1 overall in the 2020 draft. Because they all have high ceiling + high floor.

D-rock likes this.
  18. DonatelloLimestone

Agreed, Houston is a good destination in that its warm, good cost of living, diverse, no state income tax and apparently as morey said we have good strip clubs. Houston was typically at least wroth hearing out for free agents, I think the new issues is the rockets repairing trust with other agents and even players who may look at tillman who is going to prioritize his savings when we get up to the cap again as they saw he did with a guy who almost all the players respect in harden. As fans we may not always notice these things, but we had assistant coaches leaving, trainers, associate coach Jeff bzdelik, and more famously our coach, GM, and two stars lost trust in our ownership...not the city, not the fans, the ownership.

NBA is a small league, hopefully we learn from those mistakes and this year we’ve been even sending guys we dont need to their destinations and it seems were saying we’re going to do things right from here on out.

But that said we won’t be look at 1A talent in a while, we don’t have the team for that yet, but I could see a star or even player like wood someone who wants to showcase their talent and get a fresh opportunity always giving us a chance. Wood has been great, even an unlikely Kelly Olynk is getting showcased. Bring em all on as we fish for our next team and next run.

ceonwuka likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This right here.

Ive settled in on Cade. I think the others guys may be really good as well, but I think Cade has superstar potential. Offensively he’s pretty much the total package and the only knock is elite athleticism.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I like green a lot!

RocketOrg, D-rock and saleem like this.