1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Cade reminds me of Wiggins and Barrett(they even put up similar numbers), another over hyped 6'8 guy that couldn't live up to it in college but rode their highschool rep to a high draft pick.

Suggs is another 6'4 pg like John Wall if John Wall had cp3's iq and defensive feisty.

BigShasta and arabrocket like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's not about brains, it's about strength.
    Joel Embiid
    Jokic
    Anthony Davis
    Clint Capela
    Gobert
    Porzingis
    Steven Adams
    KAT
    Myles Turner
    BamBam
    Jarrett Allen
    Ayton
    Ibaka
    Drummond
    Nurkic
    Montreal Harrell
    Vucevic
    Kleber
    K Love
    LMA
    Enes Kanter
    Valanciunas
    Horford
    Baynes
    Zubac
    DeAndre Jordan
    Brook Lopez
    Dwight Howard
    Antetokounmpo
    Tobias Harris
    Zion
    Draymond
    Julius Randle
    Sabonis
    Jaren Jackson

I would put Evan Mobley in a screen under the rim and have any of these players above pin him under the rim
    all day long. Screen on one side of the paint to allow prime territory on the other side of the paint. It's not even about being a good post up presence offensively to get Mobley in foul trouble. In essence pinning Mobley under the rim as the ball swings to allow entry pass near the rim. Unless we are planning to play zone as well.

and with Suggs I'm not saying he is a problem defensively. I'm saying Napier like Mobley is being protected
    against bigger players by the zone defense they are playing in the tournament.

I mentioned Suggs as an option but Wall/Porter are a blockade in front of him. But someone could be
    traded to make room. Cost to move All being an issue.

#702 ApacheWarrior, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Duhhhh the same way we are going to trade wood for a top 4 pick. Magic!! (No not orlando)

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mobley is a 4, his body should develop like AD's did. If a team drafts him to be their 5 then I agree there will be struggles.

I don't think you can draft that high up with players on your team in mind, you have to go for best player available. Besides, Wall is obviously not in the teams future plans so he should definitely not be an impediment to who you draft. Suggs could come off the bench for a year like Haliburton has and then you bench Wall the next year which will be the final year of his contract.

5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Not seeing that comparison having watched about every game Wiggins played at KU. He was a disinterested college player, in Cade I see a facilitator mentality but not the kind of low motor disinterest of Wiggins.

True Rocket, Amel and saleem like this.
  6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I voted Cade but now I’m leaning Suggs. Hopefully you can’t miss with either and both will be franchise players.

#706 DM'sVP, Apr 4, 2021
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Oh I agree.

Kinda why I went back to leaning Cade/Suggs.

But I don't know ****. Just a fan on a mb talking sports with the guys. Tbh if we end up top three I'll be excited about whoever the choice is.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not comparing the type of player, more the situation, coming into college with that kind of hype. Barrett was more of a facilitator like Cade though and actually put up better numbers.

groovemachine likes this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’d go Mobley. KPJ with two nice bigs down low is the way

Good insurance too if Wood leaves in two years or is injury prone. I don’t want to be looking for another big for 5 years to pair with Porter if something happens to Wood

ashleyem, groovemachine and jimmyv281 like this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

hopefully suggs doesn't get overrated because he banked in a lucky shot.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I didn't know wiggins was like that in college too. He's proved to be a low motor person

groovemachine and saleem like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know man, i kind of disagree with you a lot on this take. For one, I don't think Cade's been that hyped. He's been top of the board for a bit, but so have Mobley and Suggs. Suggs has gotten more hype in March than any of them.

For two, the key and obvious difference between RJ and Cade is shooting. It's "too easy" to condense down one's whole game to shooting... but there's a reason Anthony Edwards specifically said in an interview after a game they won against the Knicks last week that they wanted RJ taking the shot. And that's with him being an improved shooter this year. I still wouldn't trust him to shoot, he wasn't a good shooter in college, and basically used his size to score efficiently from 2 in college. And even then... RJ is young and rounding into a decent player. Will he ever be a one on a ring squad - very hard to see that, but he might just live up to his pick selection.

Cade, on the other hand, can shoot.

Then there's the talent around them. Ok St. sucked, but for Cade. So when you say he hasn't lived up to it in college... i'm not sure what you're saying?? No one thought he'd come in and score 30+ ppg and lead them to the Elite 8. He's not a 30+ppg score first mentality, and Ok State sucks. Compare it to a Simmons, who couldn't even get LSU to the tournament.

All that said...

this is as solid a comp of Suggs I guess as you can find. I don't fully see it. I haven't seen Wall speed or athleticism, or CP3 mastery of the game.

And most concerning, as with Barrett, Suggs has just been an ok 3 point shooter in his year in college. On an offensive juggernaut team like the Zags, you'd think he's been getting decent looks, too. CP3 shot 46%+ from three both years in college.

Is he John Wall's shooting without John Wall's speed... or CP3s master control but without CP3's shooting?

Im just hoping they get the top pick and pick Cade....

#712 JayZ750, Apr 4, 2021
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Suggs showed me a lot last night. Still not sure of his ceiling. Still like Mobley/Cade/Green in front of him.

groovemachine and HP3 like this.
  14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Cade is nothing like Wiggins and not close to Barrett either. His biggest selling point is his feel, which means close to a home-run prospect when you combine that with elite size, versatility and high-level skillset. I'm not calling him Luka, but as prospects there are similarities there. Both were big creators/scorers who could control the entire pace of a game. His OSU cast was incredibly thin, and had little-to-no shooting (arguably the most important tool to surround a playmaker with). Outside of Cade, his teammates shot 30.6% from college 3, making just over 4 a game. And it's not like he had great finishers either -- the whole team depended on him to set the table (and score).

Wiggins was an athletic wing without a ton of feel or passion for the game, and due to that, he never maximized/fully developed his skillset. He did have a ton of hype coming out of HS, yes, but I think most people/scouts have learned their lesson on similar prospects (with questionable drive and undeveloped skills such as ball-handling etc).

Barrett was a big-2 without standout athleticism, ball-handling and mediocre shooting. He was an awkward prospect for a top-3 guy, and while he has some redeeming qualities, his hype and numbers at Duke were elevated by Zion's presence, whose gravity/production was off the charts.

Bo6, cheke64, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

What is it, 24 more games of tanking to have the best odds at one of these guys? Let's get it

groovemachine likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a goofy list of players. Steven Adams and Zion are possibly the two strongest players in the NBA. Seen there defense lately? Strength, eh? :rolleyes:

Twig KG as a rookie was snuffing ALL that BS out.

Good luck posting up (least efficient shot in the NBA) or pinning Mobley, or attempting to throw an entry pass in that guy’s space.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

While I wouldn’t call it lucky, I agree he shouldn’t be drafted over higher ceiling players because of it. He’s obviously clutch as f... if we end up with Suggs at 3 or 4 that will be nice. Suggs and Porter could be a deadly backcourt.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

One thing that's crucial is doing a good thorough background when finding young talented prospects. Who's coaching this kid? How's the family? How's the work ethic? Some GMs don't have this feel or find this important, they preferred a stat sheet and end up getting a bust. In my opinion the best are those that are humble and feel they are never good enough so they overwork on the craft. A kid that's cocky is the biggest red flag

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I felt the same way with Nerlens Noel and Thon Maker. I would draft them but me personally, not in the top 10. Have they been able to put on weight?
    If so not much. Capela has and Giannis have, but others not so much.

.....................................O (rim)
    X (SG)...∆.............................X (PF)..........................................∆.......X (SF)

.....................∆........................................................∆

..................X (PG)..............…........................................X (C)

.............................................O (rim)
    X (SG)...........--------------->..... / .................................................X (SF)
    <--------- X (PF)

^
    ......\................................._________ (FT line)
    \........................................^
    .........X (PG)................................\
    .........(or).....-------->......................\
    .......................................................X (C) receives ball near FT line from PG (can pass either side of paint near rim)
    ...........PG passes ball to C (then moves to corner vacated by SG......or slide to where (C) was.
    Leaving open strong side for Big near rim.

What I'm saying is, I think an NBA shooting guard could screen Mobley.......leaving bad situations.

#719 ApacheWarrior, Apr 4, 2021
  20. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Jalen Green could really be special.

Richie_Rich, jnuge90, Bo6 and 4 others like this.