1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade Cunningham the next James Harden/Luka Doncic Hybrid?

Discussion in '2021 NBA Draft' started by HardenVolumeOne, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

the video above that talks about how horrid his missed shots are.

2. Milos

Milos Member

Agreed
    For a similar skillset and size, Jalen Johnson is a way better athlete

Melo, Pierce and many other wings with similar builds overcame these limitations to become perennial All-stars and top scorers ... But neither proved a true MVP-level alpha around whom a champion can be built

Cade arrives with playmaking & DEF chops to form a robust, well-rounded tool box
    Perhaps that will make up the difference for what he lacks physically

Cade doesn't have the elite athleticism to create separation for himself, blow by with first step, or explode to the rim as a finisher

Neither do Harden, Steph or Luka (except for Harden's elite first step), so not saying he cannot become a premier scorer, but his skill level must improve to get there
    Those 3 have an elite handle and deadly step back to compensate, which Cade does not have yet
    His 2way potential is what sets him apart from the other 3 more than anything

To me, among the Big4 in this class, he is clearly 4th in terms of raw athletic gifts
    He is probably first in terms of a polished skillset
    Both of those combined scream limited upside to me

He is the classic equivalent of a Saban BAMA draft prospect - most pro-ready but just about maxed out as a rookie

Of the 4, Cade has the highest floor & the lowest ceiling
    He is the 'safe' choice
    That's rarely the best method when picking in the top 5

Mobley is just scratching the surface of his potential as a Sampson-ADavis hybrid prototype for the modern big

Suggs took the reigns of a powerhouse and emerged as the best player in the Final 4
    For me he is a physical clone of MVP DRose with the team-first mental approach and 2way dedication of George Hill

Green has all the raw, explosive scoring ability and supreme confidence of classic skywalkers like MJ and Kobe
    Future scoring title winner

I just don't see the same upside in Cade

#22 Milos, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  3. DonatelloLimestone

When people talk about him like Harden/Luka, its obviously hyperbole, but he has been able to create his space and shoot in traffic off the dribble. He is also playing against a zone, the nba court will be more open and as luka said easier to score. Hes got a silky shot, high court awareness to make the big shot,and maybe a better athlete than luka too.

I think its difficult to say he has the loweest floor of the big 4 especially without seeing him in a more open game. Green and the gleague guys get to play more nba style with more possessions and pace and easier to see why they are special.

Suggs was not the best player in the final 4. He was the most talented and maybe an elite athlete, but he didn't set the pace or tone for any of the games although he hit the game winner. That said, like the above, he may flourish with the space and pace of the NBA and have more room to work
    D. Rose is far and beyond more athletic, explosive and aggressive than Suggs.

I agree with Green. He's shown a strong nack to get a bucket and has springs in his step and also is doing it against better than college talent and we get to see his work in an nba style pace.

One way or another, the top 4 is a good place to be. June 15!

RedIsen likes this.
  4. htownbball

htownbball Member

Nice that other people agree about Jalen Green, I thought I'd be criticized for that take! But I think he's a future 20ppg+ scorer guaranteed. Needs to improve his ball handling to get to that next level. My fear on Cade is that he becomes Evan Turner. A guy that dominated college with his skillset and can do a little bit of everything but doesn't have one elite skill that sets him apart.

Cade is a much better outside shooter than Turner, so that may be what separates them as prospects

#24 htownbball, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. H.D.

H.D. Member

Cade has neither Harden's first step nor his speed. Poor man's Doncic is the best comp.

6. HardenVolumeOne

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member