1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cade Cunningham experiment

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Nov 2, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Barring some weird injuries and bad play Cade can only shoot for the 2nd place in the ROY running.

If nothing extraordinary happens, it is Evan's award to lose this season.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's good. Originally I wanted him first then Green.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I always wanted him 1st, and I’m still salty

I was hoping and praying we could trade with Detroit

Cade has it all…he will be very good

BallaDoc and cheke64 like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well he was rated consensus no 1 over all for a reason. I think he is ok but isnt a generational talent as he isnt putting crazy nos in a bad team. In fact his nos are just 1-2 stats away from much maligned Jalen Green lol.

I'd say both Cade and Jalen disappointed a lot of people this season compared to Mobley, Barnes and Wagner, its just that Cade has better branding so they gloss over stuff that they hammer Green for.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade is significantly better than Jalen Green, they’re not in the same tier

Cade hasn’t disappointed at all…he had no training camp or preseason due to injury, and he started off the year horribly…in his last 21 games he is averaging 18, 5, and 5 on 44/40/83 shooting splits, and his defense is already solid as a rookie…Pistons fans are quite happy with what they’ve got

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't believe the Rockets didn't draft this kid.

i3artow i3aller and Salvy like this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Agree. I would have taken Mobley 2nd and most likely first but if we had landed the 1st pick I would have had a hard time between Mobley or Cade (probably would have gone Mobley though). Green is a 3rd great prospect. I'm hoping he develops and becomes Ja Morant 2.0 which is definitely possible.

Reeko likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was a Cade guy, President and head of the advisory board for the Cade fan club, so I would’ve taken Cade 1st, and even with the way Mobley has played, I’d still be very happy and satisfied with Cade

scoring, passing, shooting, rebounding, defense, high BBI, and leadership…Cade has it all

I have no doubt he will be averaging 20+ points, 6-8 rebounds, and 6-8 apg soon

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

So getting injured is better than not getting injured is that what you are saying? If you get injured and miss training camp then you automatically get a pass for the entire first half of the season amirite? But if you get injured after the season starts then nah, that doesnt count.

Jalen also started the year horribly, he also got injured, and he also picked it up since his injury as that infographic showed. Thats why I said that Cade just has better branding Piston fans are happy while Rox fans arent when the 2 kids are around the same.

Cade: 15.6 pts 5 rb 5 ast 32% 3 pt 0.5 TS% 1 dws 26% usg
    Jalen: 14.4 pt 3 rb 2 ast 30% 3 pt 0.506 TS% 0 dws 23% usg

So Cade is "significantly" better than Green but he is just slightly better on defense, marginally worse on offense and gets 2 rebs and 3 ast more on more usage rate? Thats your version of significant? You cant even use contributing to winning as an excuse as Detroit has the worst record in the L.

I get that Cade is better than Jalen at this point but the difference isnt significant, they are literally in the same tier. Its just that like I said Cade hss better branding so people automatically put him in the upper echelon of the draft class when objectively he belongs in the same tier as Green.

13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um no you are just terrible at evaluating bball players if you think Green is playing as well as Cade. Lol fail

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tf? Your 1st paragraph was useless. U really thought u had something with that?

No, getting injured gives context to why he started out so badly. Please work on reading comprehension

Cade’s last 21 games and Green’s performance since he came back from injury don’t even compare…

Jalen Green since coming back from injury on December 23rd: 13, 3, and 2 on 38/33/85 shooting splits

Cade meanwhile 18, 5, and 5 on 44/40/83 in his last 21, and if we just take Cade’s performance since December 23rd instead of his past 21 games, he’s still at 17, 4, and 5 on 44/36/83 shooting splits

Slightly better on defense? Lol, no, Cade is a lot better defensively, and he’s much better offensively as well. The only thing Jalen Green does better than Cade at the moment is get to the line.

Contributing to winning? U do know Jalen Green has 1 of the worst net ratings in the league right? Nah, u probably don’t. The Rockets have a -18 net rating with Green on the court. With him off, it’s 0. Meanwhile, the Pistons, who are a worse team than the Rockets and have a worse record, have a -9.9 net rating with Cade on the court.

Better branding? Lmao, no. Cade is significantly better than Jalen Green, only someone who isn’t paying attention would think otherwise. They are not in the same tier

just stop…

#134 Reeko, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    YOLO and blahblehblah like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cade having a great game

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

34/8/8 with 2 steals and 4 blocks

freaking draft gods ugh

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade with 34, 8, and 8 with 4 blocks

Stone should’ve offered up everything to Detroit

GotGame15, tinman and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3093022/202...ne-why-cade-cunningham-is-on-cusp-of-stardom/

You know one when you see one.

No matter the outcome on a particular night, a team’s record or an errant performance sprinkled in among a series of stellar ones, a star is a star. Stars tend to rise above the rest, becoming visible to the naked eye. Sometimes they sneak up on you. Sometimes you can spot them from a mile away. Regardless of their path, you know one when you see one.

In Detroit, a star is being born. His name is Cade Cunningham, and he’s been on a nationwide hushing tour for critics who were so eager to call him a “bust” just one month into his NBA career. On Tuesday, his latest performance was back home in a nail-biting 110-105 loss to the Nuggets. It’s one that puts him in elite company, among the game’s greats, and is just the latest in a string of moments that underline why the Pistons made the right selection with their No. 1 draft pick.

Cunningham put up a career-high 34 points (14-of-26 shooting from the field and 6 of 9 from 3), eight assists, eight rebounds and four blocks in the defeat. Michael Jordan is the only other NBA rookie since 1974 to post such a stat line. At 20 years old, Cunningham became the youngest player in franchise history to post at least 30 points, five rebounds and five assists, surpassing Pistons legend . He has five games this season with at least 25 points, five rebounds and five assists. Over the past 10 years, only Luka Doncic (15) and Trae Young (six) have more. Furthermore, the rest of Cunningham’s rookie class has two such games combined.

It won’t be this year, and it might not be next, but sometime soon the Pistons will return to relevancy. Why? Cade Cunningham.

“He’s going to continue to ball and do his thing,” teammate Frank Jackson said. “It’s been fun to watch him grow this year. It’s a blessing to play beside him. He’s a talented kid. He’s someone I’ve grown to really love.”

The way Cunningham goes about his business is deliberate. Always at his own pace. He reaches into his bag of tricks and pulls out his oh-so-comfy in-and-out dribble to break down defenders. He straddles the baseline, putting a defender on his hip, just before putting up an awkward reverse that tends to perfectly kiss the glass and drop through the net. He likes to turn a spin move into a turnaround, midrange jumper, canceling his first move like he’s being moved by a video game controller as his defenders’ knees buckle and a shot drifts through the air.

There’s nothing Cunningham can’t do, as evidenced by his stat line Tuesday. That box score was the best of his young career, but he’s been flirting with such statistics over the past few weeks as he’s become more comfortable with the NBA game. Since Dec. 1, Cunningham is averaging 17.9 points, 5.8 assists and 4.6 rebounds while shooting 44 percent from the field and 39 percent on 3-point attempts. The Pistons have won six games in January, exceeding their win total (five) of the previous two months.

Cunningham makes the plays that liven up a building and pump life into a team knocking on death’s door. In the third quarter against the Nuggets, Cunningham chased down Aaron Gordon and blocked his shot off the glass before hitting a 3 on the other end of the floor. It was a sequence that ignited a comeback from the Pistons, as Cunningham scored or assisted on 11 consecutive Detroit points starting in the middle of the third quarter

It was the type of moment stars create.

“You can feel when things get stagnant,” Cunningham said. “It’s hard to predict I’m going to get a block and hit this 3 and that’ll get us going. It’s about staying engaged and ready when the opportunity does come.”

Cunningham has gone toe-to-toe with Kevin Durant in crunch time. He has stared down Giannis Antetokounmpo. On Tuesday, Cunningham traded buckets late in the game with the reigning MVP, Nikola Jokic. Cunningham scored nine of his 34 points in the final frame, the most by any player on the floor. He even turned Jokic around with a pull-back crossover that ended with the ball tickling the net as it went through the hoop.

“I’m happy with how much my teammates trust me with the ball, more than anything,” Cunningham said. “They want me to make plays for us, they want me to be aggressive. I’ve worked really hard to be where I’m at in basketball, so to have guys trust me with the ball, trust the work that I put in, that means a lot to me.

In the game’s most chaotic moments, Cunningham is at his best. At 20, he’s shown that routinely. Performing in the clutch is the most common fabric among the league’s stars. For Cunningham and the Pistons, it’s not leading to wins right now, but it will eventually. One day. I’m sure of that.

“You have to have a guy who can get his own shot, no matter who is on him,” head coach Dwane Casey said. “I thought they semi-blitzed (Cade) and tried to get him from turning the corner, and he figured that out.

“He’s a gamer.”

20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Jalen Green da real mvp
    He jump so hi

Downtown Sniper likes this.