1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cable TV in Houston

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GBRocket, Nov 6, 2006.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Hello

I am buying a house in Houston with my family in December and, among many other things am looking into TV options. I have no clue about the comparative merits of satellite or cable or who the major providers are or what channels are available.

Obviously I want to be able to watch the Astros and Rockets games as well as the English Premier League soccer.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I just switched to Dish a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Same channels and picture quality as Time Warner, plus I get Sirius Satellite Radio, and it's cheaper than cable.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with this post on every point...except my picture quality is a lot better with Dish than it ever was with cable.

4. windfern

windfern Member

If the weather is bad, dish network is bad...

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That is rarely the case. Does it go out in bad weather sometimes? Yes, but it isn't like it goes out everytime it clouds over or rains? It is rarely an annoyance.

6. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I just had to cancel my dish because they were going to have to send someone to my house for the 3rd time in 10 months to fix a problem. My dish would go out at random times and be fine the next day even when there was not bad weather. I had many problems with dish, and nothing is worse than when it is nasty outside and all you get is a searching for signal message on your TV screen.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

only if it's a really heavy storm.

but i don't have the random, unanticipated, "oops, cable's out!" problem, anymore.

8. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Time Warner is leaving and Comcast is coming. I don't know if Comcast is any good. Rockets and Astros game are fine with Time Warner digital cable, and they also have a Soccer channel. Nothing but soccer, all the time. But I have no clue on how Comcast operates and the changes that will be made.

By the way, if you need any Realtor help, let me know. Email me at Brianvn13@yahoo.com

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When are our Astros and Rockets not to mention the Texans (screw you CBS) gonna be broadcast in HD for EVERYGAME?

Its so stuipid. I know it would cost more but its FSN!! Come on you have all of Houston as a viewer base. Dallas has every game of the Mavs in HD (although I have to believe that Cuban has something to do with that).

10. windfern

windfern Member

My cousin in IL uses COMCAST and they said it's the bad..

11. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

The bad? Is that bad or good?

Thanks for everyone's replies!

12. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Time Warner Digital is only 40 dollars a month for a year

Too bad Charter operates my area

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Time Warner has always had a decent rep. when it comes to customer service. They're pretty good about helping you out and getting people over. You can't say the same about Comcast which has dreadful service and performance.

Also, there will probably be some price hikes with Comcast. But you do get NFL Network with them.

I say go satellite.

14. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Ahhh, that's not good to hear.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

mine works when its raining hard...rarely does it go out

16. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Having had Dish network and Time Warner over the past year, I choose satellite. Mine goes out when it rains though, and it doesn't have to rain that hard. With Time Warner, EVERY TIME I've made a change to my service, they've screwed something up. Plus, sometimes the channels freeze, like every odd numbered channel. It's bizarre.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not my experieince. Dish crapped out if one frikkin drop of rain was in the sky.

Now I just watch the rockets at Carlos' beer garden. :D

18. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Not sure what the deal is with satellite. Some people say theirs never goes out, but then others say that with any hard rain the service goes out. My experience at sports bars and at friends' houses has been with every hard rain, you can expect it to go out.

19. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

sorry typo. it's bad.

20. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I have TW cable, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone. The only time mine has gone out is when i didnt pay the bill, or if i didnt pay the elec bill =/

It all depends on location and your bandwith. If you have good bandwith on your line your digital channels will not break up, if you do, then you will have a problem with Internet, Cable and Phone.

I'm in the Jersey Village area, had good service in Willowbrook area as well.