1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cable TV going the way of newspapers? ESPN layoffs coming

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GageD, Oct 20, 2015.

1. GageD

GageD Member

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/20/media/espn-layoffs/index.html

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They need to up their Curry exposure.

clos4life likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

As somebody who is business oriented, I've always thought ESPN paying millions of dollars to athletes for them to show up in ESPN commercials is a colossal waste of money.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the internet has taken over. walking into a store and cable tv a thing of the past??

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good. Lakers aren't good anymore so what else is there to talk about?

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If/when ESPN offers streaming in the USA for all of it's content, the sea change away from cable packages to streaming will occur.

It's inevitable. It will be massive and radical.

With Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and now HBO GO out there, the final straw is ESPN. Once live sports is disconnected from the major cable providers, see ya!

I think it's gonna be while though because it has to make economic sense for ESPN. We aren't there yet.

7. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Yup.

But, I will say, I already am a cord cutter and get ESPN (as well as 10-15 other basic channels) for $20 a month via the Sling TV app on my Roku.

So they may have to get dragged there, but they will go there, like it or not. You can't fight progress forever.

8. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Cable needs to die.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Is Screaming A Smith and his 3MM+ dollars a year going to be cut?

I hope so.........

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Live sports is literally the only reason why I pay for cable. And that is the most basic package so I can watch the Rockets and Astros.

11. Cranberry_Juice

If i get the nba streaming package will i be able to see rockets games in houston or will they be blacked out?

12. dragician

dragician Member

watch out ballstreams.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

They forget to mention it's competitors making better product and viewers changing the channel. I haven't been a regular watcher of sportscenter in well over a decade. If I want coverage on basketball, baseball, or football I watch their network. Also Fox Sports 1, BEin, NBCSN and probably a few others have taken away from the product that ESPN can broadcast. That and the amount of channels ESPN has probably plays a role.

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Just remove ESPN the Ocho and they will be fine. I think 6-7 ESPN channels is more than enough.

I don't watch any of them unless they have a game on. Their sports coverage is pathetic.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

ESPN is going the way of MTV.

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

League Pass will blackout the games. You'd have to go through some sort of proxy to get around it.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Get Ballstreams. It's cheaper and a much better product imo. I have ROOT now but I still subscribe to Ballstreams to watch all of the teams, and I like the option of choosing home or road announcers.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not surprising ESPN has been pretty mediocre in much of their coverage - their NBA programming is so far behind when compared to TNTs and even the shows NBATV has. NFL Primetime was something I used to watch for highlights but that is gone now and their MNF coverage is ok but I feel that CBS/NBC/FOX do a better job with their broadcasts. Their college sports is good when they have their broadcasts from various campuses.

Their product took a huge hit when Simmons left - he created a lot of things that made ESPN relevant of late - grantland, 30 for 30. But their bigger issue is just their programming and on-air personalities. Its so painfully obvious that they are trying to push agendas/teams and i think a lot of people are just tired of it. There is no reason to keep showing so much coverage on the Lakers when they suck. No reason to keep shoving down our throats the NFC East when that whole division is garbage this year. I mean my dad is probably as casual viewer as possible and I remember last year he was complaining that they keep showing the same teams for NBA games and he wanted to see other teams on games.

I think its a good thing to be honest - their live sports coverage is really the only thing that keeping them alive if that slowly starts going away they will be in serious hurt.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really miss this show. It was the one show on ESPN that I would watch religiously.

Despite Berman's annoying commentary, the rest of the package was (and still is, IMO) unmatched. Highlights from every single game in an hour. And the timeslot was perfect - right after the late games ended and before the Sunday Night game started.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The biggest thing with Streaming is that it is not for the casual fans
    Most times -- Streaming shows have built in audiences

I think network TV and Cable has the advantage of 'channel surfing'
    Someone might 'discover' a new show or event

I think if you go STREAM . . then why have ESPN at all
    Why not have the NFL go Direct and make all the dough

Rocket River