1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cable Television] Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson's 'True Detective'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you want the kind of agent who can get you these roles, you're going to take the money so he can maximize his earnings and justify whatever firm resources he throws behind you. Also, HBO has a DVD and subscription revenue mandate like major film studios, so they don't get an indie discount.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I just finished reading Pizzolato's "Galveston". It's a slow burn, kind of fits the tone and pacing of the first few episodes of TD. Like the show, it mostly takes place in the past (1987) but has some parts that are modern day (September 2010, just before Hurricane Ike). I liked it and thought it was a satisfying read thought a lot of the time it feels like there's not very much action.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

4. Asian Sensation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xbO61Nd0Jlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^^

Omg. Possibly the best TV commercial ever made

Lols

Only thing that could make it better is if he had some crushed cans of beer and an ashtray in front of him. Or maybe at the end they swing the camera to the classroom doorway where woody is standing and he says, shaking his head, "kids, don't listen to him". And cut

On review, sucking soda through a straw is probBly more in character than drinking beer, since his audience is kids who he protects vs the less than true detectives interrupting his drinking schedule

#765 heypartner, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LHF? Okay to watch?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No spoilers

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i swear thats a dubbed over recording. that McConaughey impression is unreal

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

all these impersonations are getting trite.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Much better than Patton Oswalt's attempt. This guy has talent.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

Lolol they were Beaumont projects

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Filmed in Houston.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The name of the projects were the "Hoston Projects".

Pronounced how-ston.

15. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

and it was done in a single take

16. BonziWellsGOAT

I believe they were filmed in Beaumont. I know for sure that the biker bar was scene was in Beaumont

17. BonziWellsGOAT

Cleverly disguised Lone Star Beer Ad

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ike was in 2008.

I marathoned this show yesterday between 6pm and 2am (I don't recommend this for a good night's sleep), partly so I could enjoy the jokes surrounding it. I enjoyed it immensely and would put it up there with Breaking Bad in terms of quality dude-drama. I enjoyed it partly because my father-in-law and his brothers are all very Rust-esque; very very smart and very conflicted by their deep thinking (it's hard to not be a sheeple). I felt like Marty's extended woman drama took away from the show a bit and kept it from topping Breaking Bad as the all-time best. I blame HBO for always interjecting too much romance into their shows. It's their Achilles Heel that their shows are always in danger of becoming full-blown soap operas.

It was a very cringe-worthy show that tried to defy conventions of the serial killer genre while paying homage to great serial killer movies of the past. I dug the whole Illuminati theme of the show and liked that the story wasn't completely wrapped up at the end. I also like that both guys survived; it's a very brave move in the drama genre.

I can say that marathoning always gives me a clearer picture of the overall clues in the show as it's always all fresh in my head as opposed to watching it serially.

I was dying to compare notes and found a good podcast about the show.

#778 Xerobull, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. redglare92

redglare92 Member

I enjoyed this show very much. Great drama. The references to Houston via Rust Cohle's background as an HPD officer were a nice touch.

20. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'm pretty certain they weren't filmed in Beaumont (I live here, and im decently connected with our film scene). I'm pretty sure all of the show is filmed in Louisiana