1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

cable/dsl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by calbear, Jun 2, 2004.

1. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

My friend just moved to Sugar Land and needs to find a cable modem or dsl provider. What's the cheapest/best in that area?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

i live in sugar land and earthlink or roadrunner cable is the best...i tried dsl, but its way too slow...

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Don't even think about DSL anymore. That has dropped in quality and speed so much that it's not worth it.

Cable technology is moving much faster and getting better each day so i would highly recommend that.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I agree with everyone else. I had southwestern bell dsl and it sucked bad. I've since switched to cable through Earthlink/Timewarner and I've been very satisfied with everything.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

ditto!

But now I've got to pay those bastards at att $200 just to get out of my dsl contract!

Yeah! I'll pay em'! $5 a month (maybe)

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

i had good service with SBC DSL - 1.2 Mbps

i have even better service with RoadRunner - 1.8 - 2.6 Mbps

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

SBC Yahoo DSL has a deal for 36.95 - 1.5Mbps to 3Mbps/s down and 384kbps up. If not, try the 26.95 deal - 384kbps-1.5mbps down and 128kbps up.

9. Stack24

I doubt that is garaunteed like Cable is, becuase from what i ahve seen DSL fluctuates really bad sometimes.

I not sure what the downtime for DSL is compared to Cable. I have been very fortunate with my Cable. In the 5 years i have had it i have only been down where they had to come fix it only 2 times.

Other times were just normal area outage due to maintanence.

10. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I have DSL through SBC (but not in Houston) and I am always connected at 1.536 mbps (down) and 256 kbps (up) for $35/month. I have the option to go into the 1.5-5 mbps range for an additional $10 /month. Thinking about it but don't need it.

That's wierd b/c a cable connection is shared with others on the line. (neighbors' connection). You neighbors probably don't use a lot of bandwith.

Chances are the reason that you had a bad experience wih DSL is because you live a distance awy from the carrier's splitter. If so you can ask your carrier exactly how far away you are.

11. Stack24

I understand that i share with my area but the thing is with Cable they have been upgrading it year after year adding fiber optic lines and increasing bandwith through out this time so you don't feel the effects of it. I have never had it dropped below 1.5mb

When i had DSL i was within a couple hundred feet of the splitter and my service sucked really after a while.

12. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

Thanks for the help! We went with Earthlink.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My cable company hasn't upgraded anything (except the prices they charge customers) since roughly 1984. So, it was DSL or nothing for me.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What kind of deal did they have?