1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CA Supreme Court Rules Illegal Immigrants can Have In-State Tuition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

According to my cousin's wife, who is Mexican and went to school in Mexico, you cannot.
    Relatively affluent Americans are allowed to come and spend their money in Mexico for as long as they like? Well then I see no problem with illegal immigration. :rolleyes:

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I was wondering, wouldn't it be a little difficult for someone who got a Californian college degree, but who was there illegally, to get a job? The economy aside, they would need social security or at least some kind of legal documents that states they are in the US legally.

Of course this is assuming they're applying for an "office" job, rather than the typical waiter/delivery/janitor jobs.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Federal laws require valid immigration status for employment. So college degree in the US is irrelevant.

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

wow you must be very outta touch...

6. Major

Major Member

Sounds like the answer of someone trying to avoid the question.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is not difficult at all to proves a homeowner has paid their property taxes (or had them paid for them).

8. Major

Major Member

Illegal immigrants who are homeowners would be the same. But most are renters and their taxes are incorporated into their rent; it would be the same for a US citizen who is a renter. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that illegal immigrants avoid either property or sales taxes, unless they are homeless and don't buy anything - in which case, they won't be able to afford in-state tuition for college anyway (and they aren't eligible for financial aid).

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you can enlighten me then. How does the US treat illegal aliens better than its own citizens?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

for one thing, they get free handjobs by republicans in the senate cloak room. basso had to pay for his.

11. glynch

glynch Member

Well hopefully you have enough perspective to see beyond the next few months or years and to assign responsibility to those who have deliberately tried to demonize paying taxes leading to these deficits. If folks can think clearly abut the causes of these they could be rectified.

The folks behind the anti-tax, antigovernment craze could care less if the UC system goes downhill. Just go to Stanford or USC etc. Also as Geroge Will says" just raise the tuition as the UC system to whatever the market will bear. Kids can borrow a few hundred thousand for a batchelor's or perhaps not go at all and work in the service industry for the elite. His kids if any and those of his buds can afford it, so what is the deal?

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Right on cue, UC decided to increase tuition

13. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Member

He is down for the count.