1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CA Supreme Court Rules Illegal Immigrants can Have In-State Tuition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Was that CA? When I went to Cal in the early 90's you could get in state tuition while you were in school. All I had to was get a permanent CA address and get a CA driver's license and after two years I was a CA resident even while in school.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Texas

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

They are in the system and the system accommodates them. I would not extend those accommodations to those not in the system because it would potentially be unfair. If somebody wants to make use of our public services as a citizen would, they should be a citizen.

Again this is not an axiom or anything and it's not the judge's fault for making his ruling based on the law as written. I just think it's counter-intuitive at best and outrageous at worst to extend benefits to anyone outside of the populace that directly subsidizes them. Even if only sales and property taxes paid for the schools I'd still be offended by the idea, because it still emboldens folks to avoid honest participation in the society - that's a bad precedent that is ripe for abuse.

Really, what you bring up above is actually a seperate issue entirely.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That is a good argument but at the same time when CA is having to jack up tuition and make cut backs in the UC and Cal State systems can they afford to expand in state tuition? At a time when many legal Ca residents are struggling to afford tuition at a UC as is I'm not going to fault them for tightening up the requirements for in state. I don't know if they have changed the requirements since I was there but I would also do away with the ability of out of state students to get residency while in school.

One compromise solution I could see is expand the eligibility for community colleges and from there allow illegals to work towards residency but for the UC system I think its more important to keep them as world class universities than expand eligibility.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Its not as CA residency isn't the same as US residency. You can be a CA resident and not be a legal US residency since they are different systems. Anyway as noted the law didn't address legal residency. Your argument is one of taxes not residency status which I am addressing.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to hear how the US treats illegal immigrants better than its own citizens.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Well, we just let them come over here, without trying to stop them and they take everything from us. Leaving us poor and defenseless.
    Signed,
    [​IMG]

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I look at the Batman Jones incident when he was in Holland. BJ was not a citizen and they did not provide him with anything other than the most basic care. You can't ask for much more than that. If they had taken complete care of him at the expense of the Dutch taxpayers, how is that fair? What did he do to deserve that care?

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Yes, Cali is having all kinds of budget problems, but I don't think that's a good excuse for being short-sighted. They have millions of illegals who won't be going away, so the state state needs to do something with them. They can save a penny now by disenfranchising illegals, but they'll pay a pound later.

The budget crisis is a separate problem. The whole population needs to shoulder that burden. If you shift that burden onto a particular defenseless subgroup, you'll get trouble later.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Rereading that I agree. Lousy dyslexia.

What I was trying to say was that CA residency isn't the same as US residency. As noted CA doesn't enforce who is in the US legally but decides who qualifies as a state resident. Technically you could be in the US illegally but still be a CA resident.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I believe a good number of state schools have an international tuition rate that's higher than in-state or even domestic out-of-state.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Correct but immaterial.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Huh, as far as I remember F-1 students can get in-state tuition as long as they are in California for more than one year and pay income tax. I don't have the code with me right now, but I think that's the case.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

If I read it correctly, there are two laws here. One is the California law giving tuition breaks to whoever attend high school in California for 3 years. The other is the federal law prohibits giving benefits to illegal immigrants not available to US citizens based on state residency. Federal law trumps state law b/c of the supreme clause, but the CA supreme court rules this particular state law complies with the federal law b/c state residency is not a contingency and therefore the federal law doesn't really control.
    So which is it are you fighting about? The CA law, federal law, or the CA court's ruling?

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, maybe Texas is different from California.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, that's the key. I would rather have them in school than out there on the street doing illegal stuff and pay for police protection. Not giving them tuition breaks isn't going to have them leave. Tax payer money for state resident, yada yada, that's all moot if we have a illegal immigration problem to begin with.

18. glynch

glynch Member

Perhaps you should start all your posts like this or make it your signature? :)

19. glynch

glynch Member

As an aside do you know for a fact that you can't?

BTW virtually any American can live in Mexico full time on easily renewable 6 mos tourist visas. My parents moved there and put my bros and sisters in Mexican schools w.o. additional charges, but I think they might have been private schools.

20. glynch

glynch Member

This is a good law. Funny how some who proclaim states rights so strongly at times don't at others.

The reality is that these folks will be staying here. Sorry immigrant phobes. As an older Anglo I want the folks paying my social security to be educated and productive. Sorry social security haters it is here to stay, too.

AS noted these folks pay taxes. How do you prove that an individual US citizen pays enough to support the public schools. Sorry public school haters. The public schools are here to stay too

I've been watching the ABC News series on China and how the millions of young hungry workers flocking to the cities are one of the major factors making their economy explode. Similarly the millions from Latin America help our economy.