1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

C-Spoon........."NBA Star"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zoork34, Jul 29, 2005.

1. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

So i was wondering if any of you guys watched SC yesterday or this morning and saw their little piece on misssissippi and the town where Jerry Rice was from. Anyway, if you didnt, theres a big sign up that says "Crawford Mississippi, home of NFL star Jerry Rice and NBA star Clarence Weatherspoon" I thought that was pretty funny just seeing those names next to each other. probly a big deal to those people there though. Sorry if this thread sucks, im just bored at work.

2. Toast

Toast Member

You do know Spoonman was an all star, right?

3. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

true... spoon was an allstar.
    but lets get real here... he is nowhere near the level rice is to football. rice is one of the best to ever play the game... whereas spoon is nowhere close to be the best in basketball...

4. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

But compared to tens of millions of pedestrians, he deserves to be called as a star

5. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Yeah, but using that logic, so does Jeff Ruland, Larry Kenon, Campy Russell, and Jim Paxson.

Not that it's a big deal (because what small town wouldn't want to hype itself...it's good chamber of commerce stuff), but comparing players to 'millions of pedestrians' isn't the proper measuring stick for stardom.

6. brooksstephens

to that town, he is, or was when that sign was made, undoubtedly an NBA star.

7. zoork34

yeah...i mean, if i was from a small town like that, i would definitely think of him as a star. Its cool that hes come up from such a small place and all that good stuff. I just thought it was funny to see his name next to jerry rice and have both of them labelled pretty much the same.

8. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

ok, fine... spoon is a star

9. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I agree. But that wasn't the point. I'm sure Dave Jamerson was a star to the town he grew up in, but that doesn't make him a star based on the common usage of that word. And I don't think you would argue that.

I think the point of the previous poster's comment was that it was interesting that C-Spoon was billed as an NBA 'star'. It garnered a chuckle. Kinda like if someone were to announce that next week at Barnes & Noble, signing autographs, would be 80's sitcom 'star'........Jm J. Bullock.

Is Jm J. a star? I guess if you count appearances on Hollywood Squares as the gateway to stardom, then he is. But lets be real. Is C-Spoon a star? Again, lets be real. We throw the term 'star' around WAY too loosely.

10. zoork34

Yes. So if there really is a point or a "moral of the story" so to speak, to this thread that i started, i think it would be that the term 'star' is thrown around a lot, and maybe it should be used a little more sparingly.

11. Toast

Toast Member

Come on, people.

All-rookie 2nd team when he entered the league (averaged 15 pts, 7 boards as a rookie, 92-93).

45 double-doubles in his second season (aveaged 18 points, 10 boards a game).

18 & 7 the next.

17 & 9 the next.

He had a strong start to his career, and now he's in his twilight. Let's not remember him only for what he does in 10 minutes of game action every 3rd game, when JVG decides to give him some PT.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Anyone that makes the league is a basketball star to me. If Hot Sauce can be a star. :)

13. zoork34

yeah man. I didnt really mean for this to be a thread to dog on c-spoon. I love it when that guy comes in and hits shots for us. I just thought the deal was funny with his name next to jerry rice and all.

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

wasn't he in the dunk contest one year? :eek:

15. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

At the city limits of Ashville, Oklahoma stands a sign proclaiming the town the (and I quote) 'Birthplace of Johnny "Wad" Holmes'. Yes ... that John Holmes.

Hometown fame doesn't equal greatness. Cryin' Leaf is probably famous in his hometown, too.