1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BYU is going independent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Sep 1, 2010.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This is real, folks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5517305

As a BYU alum, I like the move because the MWC was going nowhere without Utah on board, (sorry TCU) and I like pairing the basketball team with Gonzaga and Saint Mary's. Next up... TCU should seriously join the Big 12.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

For what?

3. DarkHorse

Football. A la Notre Dame.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah, I knew that but what I was asking is what they have to gain by going independent? Notre Dame always has their history and schedule with some pretty good to great teams on it annually. What does BYU have, really?

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

They just signed a long term TV deal with ESPN to cover all of their home games. In the Mountain West, it was hard as hell to catch their games on TV because they were either on Versus or the Mountain West's own channel, which isn't widely covered.

6. DarkHorse

Plus BYU already has it's own TV network carried by most providers nationwide, and a state of the art broadcasting facility, but the MWC wouldn't allow them any leeway regarding airing games, even after the live event.

With their major rival leaving, the conference didn't really give BYU any compelling reasons to stay. Now they have more freedom with their schedule (they already signed a one-and-one with Texas) and they can reach a broader audience.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've read that it's unlikely that they'll show any games on their own TV network due to its licensing. IIRC, they don't charge cable/satellite providers for the right to carry the network and the license for the channel prevents them from airing commercials. Plus, they just announced that ESPN will air their home games for several years.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Utah is a sizable market?

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Really curious where this leaves U of H, the plan was for BYU to stay in the MWC, add U of H and create a 12 team/championship game conference but now they would have to invite another.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think it's worth UH being patient and seeing if the Big12(10) decides to get back actually being the Big 12. I'd have them 1st on my list of invites.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

At this point i'd agree, a waterdown MWC doesn't helpout much but I can see TCU and U of H being in the big 12(10) down the road.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A la Army you mean.

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

White girls?

14. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Okay, lets look it this way. If Utah stayed, BSU wouldn't of been recruited, and they would've still been this close to an AQ. Now Utah leaves and BSU joins, its just a complete wash, as BSU record wise (which the BCS is basing their assessment on) is just as good as Utah. So they would still be in a position to receive an AQ. So they leave that to become the Army/Navy of the West?

I'm not really sure about Notre Dame's position. But isn't it true, their viewership on NBC is declining and will most likely not receive the same lucrative deal they have now? Also hasn't it been said if Notre Dame joined the Big 10, they would receive a financial share they couldn't achieve as an independent? I'm just saying this, because going independent you give up a lot for "control". But Notre Dame has tradition, fanbase, and instant credibility (benefit of a doubt) that BYU doesn't have, that makes them viable. I just can't see BYU achieving more then if they stayed with the MWC.

Since Utah and BYU seem too always be connected at the hip, with Utah going to the Pac-10, BYU probably wasn't happy with staying with the MWC.

15. Major

Major Member

It's one thing to join the WAC, but the WCC? They just threw all their other sports under the bus for football.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

WCC is decent in Basketball since there's Gonzaga. And what other sports matter besides football and men's basketball.

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

My family all went to BYU.

Go Utes.

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The Big 12 isn't going to invite any more Texas teams as long as UT is still in the league...

19. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

As did mine. And I agree.

I think this is a SUPER risky move. If they can get decent teams to play them, that's one thing (and of course they'd better not embarrass themselves). But if they can't, this could go quite poorly.

All because Utah goes to the Pac-10, and they don't want to look like second-best in the state.

Go Utes.

20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i hope this isnt a inflexible contract that they have to be married to. Hopefully the big 12 north will pick them up.