1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bynum- Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktex, Jul 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, he didn't say it right then. He said it in July, after the Woj article had already come out basically saying that Yao's following season was done and his career was in jeopardy:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4620410&postcount=96

2. pass_to_Hakeem

LOL EXACTLY!!!! it's ok we still have Asik
    .. smh

3. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Guys relax , I am sure the Rockets have an idea about his injuries. This is just one doctors opinion. Besides if they do get Bynum I am sure they will give up considerably less than they would give up for Howard. He is still better than whoever we have at center right now.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can tell you I was listening to the radio and it was VanderMeer (did I spell that right) interviewing him within a week or less of the injury itself, i believe. and he said just that.

Later he got on an afternoon show and said the same thing. I remember posting about that at the time....

but I am pretty sure that the interview I heard was a morning show on 610 with VanderMeer and that it was far closer in time to the actual event.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Just curious, have the Rockets ever given any indication, even privately, that they would be willing to sign Bynum to a big contract or is that just our assumption?

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I'll stick take him, because he is miles better than Asik

Asik is an overpaid bench player

7. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Bynum>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Asik

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Max guy who is injured constantly is MUCH worse than anything else. We all remember Tmac and Yao.

I said this before I heard the report, go all our for Dwight or else tank, but now it is confirmed. No more heavy injury proned stars please.

The Doctor also said back injuries haven't proven to be a major reoccuring problem vs knees/legs for big men, so that is also nice.

9. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Didnt Asik break his fibula in the 2011 playoffs againist the Heat

BTW Bynum given the touches and not playing with a ball-hog like Kobe would flourish

Its not like Bynum is Ron Artest or something

10. MadMax

I never suggested otherwise...but Asik may come here whether we move on Bynum or not. The question is whether we want to put max dollars into a guy who doctors are already talking about the way Kenneth First just did...I'm not sure. I'm not saying no...I'm just not sure.

11. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

This coming off Bynum's most healthy season. Not buying it. If Bynum goes to Cleveland and beast Morey should be fired

12. The Cat

I'll take your word for it. But even so, I recall some misses he's had with the Texans, including Andre. The fact remains, First is giving the best guess he can with the information he has. He's a good doctor, so sometimes he'll be right - but there are limitations based on his lack of evidence.

The fact that Bynum hasn't had major issues the past two years, has learned to play (and play well) with a stabilizing brace, and is willing to be proactive in procedures such as the Germany trip gives me hope. It's far from a done deal, and he and his team will always need to be cautious. But these things can be managed. Remember, Larry Bird had an incredibly serious back problem and mostly held it off for 10+ years while becoming one of the best players in NBA history. And that was with medical technology 30 years ago! Obviously Bynum has a different set of medical problems, but the fact that he's found a routine that seems to work has me open-minded.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Never like this guy, do not know why the rockets want to have him on the team? He will lead this team to nowhere before getting another big injure or getting a big suspension by hitting someone else. Having this guy would just delay the team growth for years. I hope that Morey just uses him to low the price for Howard.

14. MadMax

You're right...Kenneth First's opinion isn't dispositive...it's just the first I've heard of this so pronounced...and just as a fan, given recent history, it gives me pause. Not that my pause matters, because I'm not part of the braintrust that has to make this decision :)

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

At least if that happens he would be in the east,also the Rockets wouldn't be facilitating a trade that could help the lakers dominate for the next 6-7 years .. There is a reason the lakers are trying to swap bynum for howard ... I swear some of you people around here just don't posses an ounce of common sense.

16. DAROckets

Get what your saying but c'mon man .. Bird's mental toughness is what kept him in the game .. Bynum seems to have the mentality of a 12 year old.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Would you take bynum if you could keep the Toronto pick???

Hmmmmm.?

18. The Cat

I think there's very little, if any, correlation between emotional maturity and physically dealing with injuries. Bird's mental toughness helped him as a basketball player and as a teammate, but it was proactive measures and hard work with his own personal doctor (read his autobiography) that dealt with the back situation.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Does anyone think Bynum will drastically improve us?

20. DAROckets

FALSE .. have you ever suffered through real pain ? I have and can tell you that it has a huge affect on you mentally.