1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bynum- Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktex, Jul 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I think that is the smart play here! Speculation has been we have positioned ourselves with the ability to offer 2 max contacts next summer, and if you couple that with our own lottery pick (top 5), Tor lottery pick (top 10), and our current crop of youngsters - we should be just fine!!

Envision this next year:
    PG Lin
    SG Lamb
    SF Shabazz Muhamaad (currently #3 on nbadraft.net)
    PF Josh Smith (Unrestricted FA)
    C Al Jefferson (Unrestricted FA)

That and you still have White, Jones, DMo, Parsons, Patterson, Lull(rights), and Morris for depth and trades.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If I remember correctly it loses its effectiveness. I need to refresh myself on that therapy.

1 person likes this.
  3. da_juice

da_juice Member

That actually makes sense. Why help conference rivals AND give up assets when Bynum will hit the market as an FA anyway? Plus, I don't get the whole philosophy of Houston giving up everything and getting Bynum. If Orlando liked what we were offering, we would have already completed a trade for Howard. Further, I doubt they're waiting on an extension for Bynum, because they don't seem too concerned with getting one for Howard (someone who's more likely to leave Houston IMO).

My guess is Dwight gets traded to LA in the winter with cleveland and a 4th team involved, or for brook lopez and picks (although that's extremely slim).

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

oh lawd his knees are junk. Murrey needs to just hang up the phone unless we can get Bynum for Martin and Morris only - then it could be worth the gamble.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I'm totally fine with gambling on Bynum or Howard, but I don't want to put my life savings on Bynum.

6. daytripper

daytripper Member

There is a reason the Lakers want to upgrade to Dwight. Bynum has knee, attitude, and maturity issues. Bynum's current contract has had team options every year which further tells you they've had doubts about keeping him long term.

It will be very discouraging if Morey gives up Lamb, Parsons, Jones, and/or White or even the Raptor pick while helping the Lakers acquire Dwight. Watch Howard go on to win 5 rings in LA over his career while Bynum's knees flame out in 2 years. It would be Houston's luck.. :(

If Les and Morey really want to rebuild find a way to be bad enough for one season to grab a Noel or Shabazz in the draft. A top 5 pick is very feasible if they give all the minutes to the kids while calling it a developmental season.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Lopez is a giant boob.

This is from his FB page.

[​IMG]

8. T_Chan

T_Chan Member

It should be VERY troubling to us that a player that young is going to Germany for orthokine treatments... from what I know, that treatment is just to take away the pain, not help the injury in any way. If he needs to play through pain at this point, what will happen in the future??

please correct me if i'm wrong about the procedure, but that's what I saw on tv.

9. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

Can someone confirm, but i thought the prthokine treatment was to help already developed arthritis? Also the treatment is just to help woth pain not with structural damage. I also have other reservations about bynum.

In this day and age the NBA primarily is live or die by the pick and roll. Bynum can neither defend nor br involved with the pnr. People want to attack bynum in the pnr because he cannot defend it. Thunder abused the lakers using this premise. With bynum its a throwback to the old school keague. Where you dump down to the post and wait for a kick out. However bynum is terrible at the kick out. Hes a black hole and has no vision of his teammates. With lin on our team and mchale wanting to up the tempo, bynum would be a terrible fit with the roster.

10. ktex

ktex Member

This all is a giant red flag.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Oh man

I was all for Bynum, but this freaks me out.

12. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

That looks scary. It's much closer to 2004 Detroit than 2012 Miami, but so much young talent/ depth. After Yao/Tracy injury era, I prefer this to Bynum.

13. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

14. conquistador#11

he's been a guest before if it's the same dr. kenneth. and he was correct about how severe that last strike by the gods on yao's foot was**. So I'm taking his panic and staying away from bynum. Don't do it Maury! I'm sure that's why it hasn't been done. Contrary to what the maury haters like to believe, maury is always thinking ahead and has every variable in his big head. It's all dwight or play young, either way I like it bill!

** was wrong about andre as he was able to regenerate and put a pounding on the bengals in the playoffs.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

a wheelchair

2 people like this.
  16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There's a lot of speculation here from a doctor who hasn't seen the specifics of Bynum's examinations. Reminds me of the panic on a few Texans blogs over Schaub's foot (some of you know what I'm talking about). There are huge discrepancies in outlook based on the exact nature of his previous injuries and the procedures done. I'm sure the Rockets would get a look at those medical records before completing any Bynum deal, and they'd only go through with it if they're comfortable.

Here's a good article on Bynum's knee situation, which includes the ligamentous laxity discussion:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/segundo-351963-believes-bynum.html

Between the Germany procedures, the braces Bynum wears and the fact that there's not as many unnatural movements in basketball as with Prior and the baseball comparisons, there's absolutely a chance that this can be managed for a long time. I don't think it's any more troubling than Howard's back. Just something to monitor.

1 person likes this.
  17. ktex

ktex Member

....kind of...Andre clearly wasn't himself against the Ravens.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You guys are high-maintenance.

Busted knees. Injury prone. Incosistent and dissapears for long stretches. Terrible attitude. Selfish. Idiot on and off the court.

What's not to like?

1 person likes this.
  19. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

I hope our franchise is patient instead because with how young our guys are we have a very good shot at a top 5 pick. Include the toronto potential lotto pick and maybe the late dallas pick youre looking at an awesome rebuild.

Jlin, lamb, white, parsons, dmo, jones, and asik. Cap if you want it with martin, brockman, livingston, forbes expirings and renouncing of cap holds on ppat, morris, douglas. Throw in 3 picks. The rebuild will be fast and exciting with lin selling tivkets.

Bynums injury concerns and lack of cohesion should dissuade us from his services. And dwight being in his prine doesnt fit with our core.

If houston plays its cards rights it could get a top 3 talent with their pick. This could be a big like zeller or noel or muhammad. Imo you go all out for cody whos got sick post moves and great hops. This could be the lineup next year

Lin
    Lamb, tor pick (kyle anderson?)
    Parsons, white
    Dmo, jones
    Asik, zeller

Plus cap savings from all our guys being renounced or expiring. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

Thats an awesome core with everyone being in the same age range

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To be fair, this is the very same doctor who said, right after he went down in the LA series, that Yao would never again return to logging the kind of minutes he played in previous games...and that he thought it was fairly likely that his playing career would be over. He hadn't seen the specifics from that exam either.