1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye Bye Qualls, Burke; Hello Valverde

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Major, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2326595&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

PHOENIX -- The D-backs are close to completing a deal to acquire right-hander Dan Haren and another player from the A's in exchange for six prospects, MLB.com has learned.

In addition, the D-backs will send closer Jose Valverde to the Astros in exchange for infielder Chris Burke and reliever Chad Qualls.

Both deals are set to be announced later this afternoon.

Included in the trade to Oakland are pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland along with outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Aaron Cunningham and first baseman Chris Carter.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So whats the story on Valverde? I know nothing about him. Stats look good though.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

4. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

espn says gutierrez is part of the deal too...

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just reported on SportsCenter. Looks like we've got our closer. Now will the SP (behind Roy) be enough to get him a ton of save opportunities?!?

I think I like this trade to shore up the back of the bullpen. Here's hoping he gets a shot at a ton of saves.

6. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Very good closer, I like his the passion and emotion he shows. But more importantly... more color!

7. htownbball

htownbball Member

sweet

hopefully we can sign him to an extension because that's one of the reason's the DBacks got rid of him...he was looking for alot of money

didnt give up all that much either.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Had 46 saves last season with a 2.66 ERA

man, the astros are aggressive. i really like this deal a lot.

Valverde is 28, by the way.

sign a couple of starters and tell me why this team can't compete for the NL Central.

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I LOVE that Wade is trading away most of our crap. We weren't going anywhere with last seasons team.

Going somewhere now? Who knows ... but at least there's a chance.

No Everett, Qualls, LIDGE ... less Ausmus.

NICE off-season, IMO.

Now take a chance on Prior if the price is right.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I believe that Valverde is under club control for another two years.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

12. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

46 & 2.66?!? :eek:

Suck it, Cat.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Not a bad deal. Valverde is not significantly better than Qualls (he strikes out more hitters, but walks more, but still has a better K/BB ratio), but Burke is probably a reasonable addition to bridge the gap.

14. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of this trade initially. So we traded our prospective closer for another with pretty similar ERA and WHIP numbers and then we throw in Burke and a prospect for nothing? Burke's trade value must be zero.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What are you talking about? The Astros picked up a very good closer... am I supposed to be disappointed? :confused:

16. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Nice, Qualls was a liability. It seemed like he always gave up the long ball in clutch situations. I like what Wade is doing so far, he's the anti-poopoo.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Meh, save totals are pretty meaningless, IMO. The last time Valverde posted a mid 2's ERA, he followed it up with almost 6 the next year. Looks like Valverde is on the Bret Saberhagen career progression - a great year followed by a horrible year followed by a great year, etc.

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

outstanding deal. valverde is better than qualls and you gave up a zero in burke and gutierrez who is nothing special.

I like ed wade.

19. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I figured you would be. I'm sorry. :(

GO ASTROS!

20. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Diamondbacks | Valverde avoids arbitration
    Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:13:46 -0800

Steve Gilbert, of Diamondbacks.MLB.com, reports Arizona Diamondbacks RP Jose Valverde avoided arbitration when he signed a one-year, $2 million contract Monday, Jan. 15.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nov. 29, 2007 - 9:41 a.m. ET

Jose Valverde's agent denied Wednesday reports that his client is seeking a four-year contract extension worth $50 or $60 million, including $10 million in 2008.

The reports came out of the Dominican Republic. "There are a lot of great reporters out there, but I guess between the lines things get taken out of context," agent Bill Rego said. Valverde is under the Diamondbacks' control for two more seasons and figures to make about $5 million for 2008 in arbitration. According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks "might consider a trade" for Valverde "if they are blown away by an offer."

#20 T Rex, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2007