1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye, bye Bogans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pass 1st shoot 2nd, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

...don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. You suck, and couldn't hit water from a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Seriously, if this guy's on our roster next year I'm gonna be pissed. We have got to do better than a 40% FG shooter that thinks he's a scorer.

Who else is with me.=?

-P1st, S2nd

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well we are playing with basicly a summer league team and someone has to take shots.

I think Bogans can develop into a poor man's Bruce Bowan.

3. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

bogan's can be a decent third string player or give you 10-15 mins a game as a backup....there is no way he should play significant mins next year

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You couldn't be more off base if you tried. He's not a starter. He's only starting because of the injuries. He is the most athletic player we have, can penetrate and finish. He is cheap and can definitely have a spot on the bench next year. And as to your assertion that he thinks he is a scorer?

There is no Yao or T-Mac now, somebody has to score. He's as good a guy as any to do so.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i understand that he isn't a great shooter. but he has good form on his jumper which means his % can improve with practice.

he is a good defender and rebounder. i wouldn't rule out bringing him back as a backup to tmac.

of course it all depends on our draft and FA signing. if les and CD stick to thier word by drafting a shooting guard and bringing in vspan with part of the MLE then we will have whatever is left of it to sign jumaine jones or rasule butler to back up tmac. if all goes according to plan i don't see bogans here next year.

however, nothing ever goes according to plan in pro sports.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I am totally with you. You have to pass first, and shoot second. You've got to be unselfish on the court.

7. dream2franchise

I think Bogans was one of the bright spots to this season. We picked him up for a seldom used Lonnie Baxtor and he turned out to be a productive player who hustles and plays with energy. I think he'll be a solid back up to T-Mac next season.

We shouldn't count on him to be the sole scorer because that just isn't his game, but having him for 15 mins off the bench will do wonders for our team. He's a keeper in my books.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he can turn into a good 20-25 minute rotation player. Even Yao said that he would be a perfect fit if he could work hard on his skills and learn how to consistently hit his jumper. Its one (meaningless/tank) game. Keith Bogans is better and more consistent than anyone on this team right now take away tracy and yao. solid, cheap bencher...........

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

I dont mind havin Bogan playing backup SF for T-mac. He is cheap and good for 10-15min per game!

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yes Bogans sucks, but there really isn't anything out there that will be an improvement. Maybe if you strike gold with the 2nd rounder or an undrafted FA.

The free agency class sucks this year.

If there's only one player I want gone then it's got to be Bowen. Get his fugly mug off my team.

11. yaomac

yaomac Member

Your opinion is absolutely correct. But the problem with this Rockets team is not selfishness. They can find their open teammates. They just cannot knock down those open shots. It is part of the strategy problem, together with poor execution. Bogans is a decent bench player, unlike Ryan Bowen this year.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Bogans can be useful as a 9th or 10th man. Not a particularly good offensive player, in general, but with more talented players on the court (Yao, McGrady, and whoever else we manage to pickup) he could find a more suitable role and possibly be a more efficient player. He's an adequate defensive player at the SG position as well (a little undersized for SF, which he's currently being used as).

13. dividend

dividend Member

I think he's a solid backup and we should keep him for next year. He needs to shoot a million 3 pointers and another million free throws over the summer though :)

14. yaomac

yaomac Member

If he can do that, Mike D'Antoni will not hesitate to offer him a job. :)

15. CHC

CHC Member

I think we should keep Bogan

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Bogan, Bowen and Alston. I'd cut or trade them all. Anyone who shoots below 40% consistantly is not a player I'd want on my team. The problem is we are stuck with Bowen (1 more year - thanks management!) and Alston unless we add picks or take back a problem child or both.

17. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

At or near the league minimum, I'd keep Bogans. The problem is he's been forced into way too many minutes. He shouldn't play more than 10 min/game unless it's a blowout with a lot of garbage time. Sometimes he shouldn't get off the bench. But this Rockets team is so sorry Bogans is asked to do way more than he is capable.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think Bogans has been an absolute steal. No, he shouldn't be starting, but he could be great coming off the bench. Well, assuming we find some shooters too. The only thing that bothers me about Bogans is that his weakness (shooting) coincides with the weakness of the entire team. If that can be resolved, I think he can be a strong contributor off the bench.

He's athletic. He's a solid defender and he's good at driving to the hole and getting to the line.

Incidentally, has he ever even gotten to play with both Yao and McGrady on the floor? Logic would suggest that he would play very differently with both of those guys on the floor with him.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As an 8th man playing backup SF minutes I am fine with Bogans. But we are in trouble if he is starting or playing heavy minutes.

20. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

If only the faces I recognize next season are Yao and Tmac, I would not blink a eye.