1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[By the numbers] 1/4 into the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Dec 2, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is a difference in development, some people just want to roll the ball out there and let them learn from their mistakes...others want them to have to EARN it.

One group is entitled, the other wants results.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - even if almost all of their posts are about Green to where it looks like they are a Green over everything else fan.

@Joe Rocket will turn every thread into a Green is getting screwed argument.

DD

NewAge likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For me, it's a conundrum regarding Wood. Can he give you a solid 20/10 and a borderline all-star presence pretty much every night? I believe so. Is he a building block that we can use to get back into being a championship contender? Even at the "old age" of 26, I think he can. That being said, the belief he has in being worth of max dollars makes me cringe. I mean it's stupid to hold that against the guy because you want your best players to be supremely confident right? But, at the end of the day, I don't see Wood as the guy you can go to in crunch time. Hell, since we were talking about him, Harden had that IT factor even as a 6th man for OKC. Like we just felt that he could be THE building block (rather than just A building block) for a championship contender.

Joe Rocket and DaDakota like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Wood Tate Gordon, the 3 vets. :cool:

robbie380 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I only looked at 3 man lineups where they shared the floor for at least 30 minutes total. If we dialed that down to 20 as the baseline there are some eye catching lineups for sure.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sitting Theis and no Green makes this team much more competitive.

NewAge and DaDakota like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One difference is that James had a perfectly fine 2 year college stint at ASU.

Porter was a 1 year suspended washout at USC and Green skipped college. These kids are so young and have spent their entire life being told they are the best and not really knowing how to fit in to a larger 'system' or legacy. It's probably harder for Silas to bench them, whereas Harden was probably more mature at their age (personalities not even considered).

I really believe that when you're 18-22 you are still social undeveloped and have to be handled differently than a fully grown man. This is why I give Silas a little bit of a pass in how he handles these guys, he surely has access to more information about their temperature than Clutchfans does.

Reeko, xaos, aaquaa and 1 other person like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Weren't you talking about rookies and why some hate them?

I am pretty content with the situation, the organization should pay for what they risked.

Drafting a skinny SG with KPJ still being undeveloped fully. That is a major risk IMO. In case they cannot co-exist.

I am pretty adamant on that as well, the organization should be held accountable.

DaDakota likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So, Mobley?

;)

That is why I no longer want to tank, I think they spit the bit on the number 2 pick - and don't trust them to take the right player, would rather see development and occasional wins with this core....and draft lower in the lottery.

DD

NewAge and daywalker02 like this.
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a microcosm of the generational shift in thinking. @Joe Rocket is most definitely generation Z from the tone of his posts. He's actually trying to say that Kobe and Harden coming off the bench was bad for them when they both had/are having HOF careers. I'm gonna trust those coaches opinions over some kid on Clutchfans.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hehe, I wanted a real PG, but that draft didn't have pure PGs.

Admittedly, I did not do my homework, outside of Mobley, Green, Cade, Suggs I did not know the others.

You go with the positions that are not deep, namely SF, PF and C.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

Valid point. I wanted Wall-Gordon starting backcourt. CF in general wanted KPJ-JG, management "listened" and it has been a disaster.
    But specifically giving the job to KPJ over Wall may be actually worse than starting Green over Gordon, since it created all this Wall "situation" that’s really fracked-up.
    No shame coming off-the-bench. These kids are talented, but giving them the keys was a mistake.

12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

They are both young and will be fine with more playing time and experience but you have to give them playing time together so they grow together. I was looking forward this season to all of our young guys playing together and us not winning many games but in the end it would be worth it. Silas is slow and he over plays vets. Doing that is sort of like spinning your wheels. Youre not going anywhere. I do not agree with the decision to make KPJ the point guard but since thats where Houston is going I hope he more than succeeds there. People on this board pit player versus player and engage in flame wars as entertainment. That at times has involved Mobley too which is confusing since he's not a Rocket. I know why they hate rookies (They engage in flame wars and want to be right so they force a narrative) but I dont know why they are doing it when they are supposed to be Rockets fans, its just seems petty.

I dont like the direction of this rebuild because it seems like the FO and this coach are on two different pages.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He's a good player but I see him as more of a sixth man jj reddick type that can replace Gordon when we trade him.

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I always thought Silas was a puppet coach with limited authority.

Now it seems he is not even being a good puppet.

For his own sake and for the sake of his next job, he better post a record close to 0.50 or above.

Not aligning with team purpose.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Plus improve his chemistry with Sengun.

Win- win.

jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your thinking is too linear.

Just because Green doesn't start does not mean he will get fewer minutes.

Think how Rockets used EGo as 6th man who played as many minutes or more than starters not named Harden.

And having Green come of bench to play with Sengun actually makes sense if the goal is developing team for future.

Denovo and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Reddick was a starter in his prime.

GM is only 24.

And he plays a different role than EGo.

EGo needs to dominate ball to maximize his offense, that is not GM's best role.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

JC plays differently than Green.

JC can defend albeit too foul prone.

And JC can also finish in traffic.

Green has improved as a finisher and 3ball right before his injury so there is hope if re-inserted that the starting unit does not falter.

But I'd rather put him in best situation to succeed, surround him with Sengun and 3ball shooting defenders.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

GM just turned 25 at end of October.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Legit point.

But the last 4 games have shown how efficient KPJ can be with the right lineup around him consisting of legit 3ball shooters.

Perhaps reinserting Green for EGo does not affect offense but we know defense will surely be impacted.

Wins are important to player development and confidence as well.

Denovo likes this.