1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying prescription drugs-need advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ldg, Oct 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

One of my close relatives back in China has diabetes and is having trouble keeping the blood sugar level low. There are several new drugs on the American market that can potentially help (like Januvia) but are not yet available in China. Is there anyway to buy such medicines without a prescription legally? Or should I just talk to my own doctor about it? Any suggestions? Thanks all in advance!

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I do not believe your dr will give you prescription for a friend in China.

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Just go to any high school in the Houston area, and ask any student there, I am sure they can get you some. I remember when I was in high school kids had all kinds of medication, it was like a pharmacy.

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

i can't think of a legal way to do it. your doctor can't ethically prescribe medication to someone he/she hasn't seen.

now i'm not an endocrinologist, but i do know quite a bit about diabetes. my sense is that if your relative has late stage diabetes, Januvia, a DPPIV inhibitor, isn't really going to do that much. It's more of an earlier stage drug because it's effect on blood sugar is modest, but might have some beneficial impact on pancreatic cells and weight loss. my grandmother in china has diabetes, and she has access to metformin and sulfonylureas, which are arguably the 1st and 2nd line treatments in the US anyway. something like Avandia might help, but maybe you're aware of the recent controversy surrounding it. so i might just suggest considering going to insulin injections early, a lot of patients in china don't like to become insulin dependent, but over the long run, the earlier you get your diabetes under control, the better the long term prognosis.

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

btw i stress again i'm not a doctor and don't know the exact situation, so you def. want to verify with a professional opinion

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Try the internet.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I can get my hands on an assortment of benzodiazepines and amphetamines, if that helps.

Medical mar1juana and white castle burgers are a little beyond me, though.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We need to exchange info. :)

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yep, and then I imgaine shipping it staright from there would work (just hope they're not knock-offs).

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Progreso, Mexico
    to be exact

that lil border town
    pharmacies and dentists everywhere!

13. Locke

Locke Member

Canada.

14. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

Thanks for the input! It's a quite complicated situation. She's using metformin/sulfonylureas and they are not working too well. She's also overweight so she doesn't want to pick up any more weight using insulin, and because of some other health issues she can't exercise much, so using insulin would almost surely mean weight gain. I haven't done a lot of research on other drugs, but Januvia seems to help reduce weight while sensitizing insulin receptors, so it may be worth trying out. I'm not aware of this Avandia drug. Do you know anyone who has experiences with it?

15. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

I did the search but couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm just not using the right combination of key words...

16. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I guess I'll see if Mexico and/or Canada is an option.

17. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

ldg,
    this is a very complex issue that can not be solved by just adding pills or changing doses. She needs a primary care doctor who will follow her labs, weight, sugars, etc... and then prescribe adequate treatment based on individual case by case basis. I would not just blindly start medications, if you have no experience in prescribing them.