1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying first car tomorrow. Need comments please!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LooneyToon, Feb 20, 2004.

1. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

Hey guys. I'm buying a used car from Gillman Mitsubishi in North Houston and its a 93' Chevy Cavalier, automatic, for $1,000. I haven't seen the car yet, but I have a hold on it, I got insurance for it today, and I'm going to buy it tomorrow. DOes this deal sound too good to be true? The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Uh, I wouldn't recommend it. See if you can find an old Honda Civic or something. Anyway, good luck.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You haven't seen the car yet but you have a hold on it??

Geez, that is something I would never do.

I know that furry was messing with you but what are you going to do if this vehicle is a lemon? I say with 100% certainty that they are selling this car to you "as is" which means there is no warranty on it.

If I was you, I would ask Gillman Mitsubishi if you could take the car to a mechanic you trust and have him check out the car. I didn't do that with the first car I bought (a '92 Prelude) and I had nothing but problems with that car.

But that was not too bright to get insurance for this car considering you have never seen it before, but I am assuming you are probably 20 or younger, so you will learn as you get older.;)

5. LooneyToon

I got a vehicle history report on it. Read it. Sounds OK.

The story of this 1993 CHEVROLET CAVALIER VL/RS (1G1JC54XXXXXXXX) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
    This sedan has had at least 2 owners. The first title for this sedan was reported to CARFAX by a California DMV in 1993.
    It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
    It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
    It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 11,315 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 09/27/2003, was 119,243 miles.
    It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).

6. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

You've made several mistakes in the car buying process:
    1. You are planning to buy a car.....without driving it! That is shocking.
    2. You put a hold on that car....for no reason. It's not like the car is going to fly away, no matter what the salespeople say. If it does, find another car. Don't waste your money like that.
    3. I can't believe you'd buy that dumbestic heap without looking at a Honda or Nissan or Toyota. American car companies do not make good small cars. Still don't.
    4. You need to take that car to a mechanic you trust ASAP.
    5. Why did you go ahead and get insurance for it?
    6. Why are you buying that car from a dealer? You will usually get a better deal on a cheaper car like that if you find an individual selling.
    When I bought my 1999 Maxima, I searched on the internet and in newspapers for the right car. I needed a commuter car to drive back and forth to work (almost 100 miles daily round trip) with a powerful six cylinder for around 12 grand. I didn't like any of the dumbestic cars (why can't Chevy or Ford build something like an Accord or Camry?), so I focused on imports. Finally, my wife found a Maxima at a Dodge dealership in Columbia, SC for around 13 grand with only 38k miles. I called them, came out to look at the car and I saw the tires were seriously worn, but otherwise, the car was in excellent shape. I told the salesman, here's my deal. I will cut you a check for 12 grand right now if you get me some new tires on this car. He went to his sales manager and they countered with 12,500. I wrote out the check. That's how it's done. It took us two months, but I have a car that I really like.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Id never buy anything from the Gillman Companies.

But thats just me.

8. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

<h1>BUY A FORD, IT'S THE ONLY REWARD </h1>

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh great, that's where I bought my TL in Houston. :) So why wouldn't you buy from Gillman companies?

BTW, I can't believe Looney is buying a car, got insurance for it, and put what basically amounts to a deposit on it, without seeing or driving it first. Good grief. :eek: FYI, I just looked it up and there were at least 2 recalls on the Cavalier. One seemed pretty serious involving brake hoses :

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport.cfm/vehicle_nmb/100010542/section/recalls

You may want to be sure that's been taken care of.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Concur..for used small cars buy only Honda's or Toyota's.

I don't have a problem buying from a dealer though. You can get some type of warranty, you can't get that from an individual. And ,You can paint "Lemon" on it and park it in the right-of-way next to the dealership if it goes bad. That will usually get some response.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Ladas never get any respect.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rule number 1, never buy a car that has been driven previously in California

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Based on both personal and profession experiences. I tried to buy two different vehicles from them, and the deal fell through both times due to some shady tactics on their part. Professionally, Ive had numerous clients that have hired me to help them mitigate sub-par repairs performed by several of their dealerships.

Gillman actually used to have a Pontiac and GMC dealer in Houston, but the franchises were pulled because of their business practices.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Seriously don't buy anything you haven't driven before, or had someone that knows a little about the mechanics of a car before buyin it. I made this mistake, and I regret it almost everyday. My check engine light comes up randomly, some days the coolant decides to drop, others the fuel injectors don't work, and on some days, the battery dies for fun.

I mean the price aint bad, but atleast drive it first

15. LooneyToon

Well I have the car. Didn't come with any warranty. The "check engine" light comes on for 5 minutes, goes off, 10 minutes later, comes back on. Yesterday driving to work by ABS light came on. I'm not sure why though. BTW, my AC blows out air, but its not cool. What could be the problem? Coolant, its crap, or what else? I need to find a friend of the family to take it to, and get it checked out. Is there a car place around town who is trustworthy in telling me parts I need in the distant future instead of insisting I get them right away?

16. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Oh, this is not good.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you sure you're not running a bit by us for AnotherBrother??

18. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Well, let that be a lesson for you, I'm surprised that your parents didn't stop you from doing such thing.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

rofl