1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying clothes online

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by torque, Sep 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hardly have time to go shopping (and hate to do it), so I want to start buying my clothes online.

I'm looking mostly for dress / business men's attire. Any suggestions on places to start looking online?

Rep for helpful suggestions.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They got some nice tru religion pants for sale online.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends on style. Here are some places to skim, figure out what works for you, that's your problem.

Jos A Bank, LL Bean, Lands End, Brooks Brothers, Macy's, Nordstrom,

J.Crew, Banana Republic, Gap, Lands End Canvas, LL Bean Signature

Zara, ctshirts.com, Billy Reid

Other than that there's only like a billion other places.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

On an slightly related note. When in the heck did undershirts get so expensive? $14 for a 5 pack at Wal-Mart?

6. JD88

JD88 Member

Any store in a mall will have a website. Usually you can better discounts online as well, and be sure to search for coupon codes before you purchase.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Don't know what you're looking for in terms of brands or style, but I have found that looking at men's clothing blogs can be helpful. The ones below are more on the preppy side, but most of the time have lots to offer in terms of dressier items such as ties, jackets, etc. They will ususlaly offer their review of the item and link to the website where you can purchase it. Sometimes they also offer giveaways on certain items (I have won a few things including two bowties and a prizepack with a polo and hat). They also sometimes give reviews of clothing stores and link you there, which can also be helpful.

May not be quite your style, but it doesn't hurt to give them a look and see what sticks:

Great Lakes Prep
    Southern Gent Gifts
    Bowties & Boatshoes
    Red Clay Soul
    Oxford Cloth Buttondown
    Gentleman South
    Social Primer

8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Arright, It sounded interesting, I signed up.

1 person likes this.
  10. VanityHalfBlack

11. Felixthecat

Yeah I'm signed up with them too. Just got the 10 crack commandment tshirt.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I highly recommend shopping online at TM. Lewin and/or Charles Thyrwitt for your dress shirts/business attire collection. Craftmanship and material are not as good as Thomas Pink but they wont break your bank either. I would recommend getting one or two good set from Thomas Pink for special occasions and several others from TM Lewin and Charles Thyrwitt.

http://www.tmlewin.com/

http://www.ctshirts.com/Default.aspx?q=|||||||||||||||

I like their fitted shirts and you can get your sleeves tailored for a perfect fit.

They ship directly from UK at very reasonable costs and they run sales frequently as well.

Free returns (including free return shipping) if you are not happy with your purchase.

13. Felixthecat

Thanks! Rep.

14. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I posted this to one other board I frequent so some of the advice is pretty general. This might or might not be good advice for you as it requires some time and effort and also pretty high amount of interest in men's clothing.

Also, most people should probably spend some time studying the subject to really have a good grasp what a great quality dress/business attire is and what is the correct cut and fit for the look you are going for. Don't forget the accessories (ties, pocket squares, cuffs etc)!

No need to go to brick-and-mortar clothes stores though!

Anyway, here goes for anyone interested:

Shirts:

These are pretty cheap so you can have them tailored for you for a reasonable price.
    www.moderntailor.com is one of the cheapest options and more than enough for most people not looking for handmade Italian shirts that cost you hundreds of dollars a piece. Requires some measuring and you have to know pretty exactly what you are looking for for best results.

[edit] Zboy mentioned TM Levin and Charles Thyrwitt in an above post. They are also popular choices, particularly for us Europeans, and are probaly more than enough for most. You can't change every detail, but they offer a pretty wide range of fitting options. The "sales" that they seem to have on constantly are not sales at all, as they never sell the stuff at their "original" price, though.

Suits:

Ebay.

The prices you can get good stuff at are often absolutely ridiculous. We are talking about discounts from 50% to 90% even on really high-end brands.
    If you are into vintage or otherwise have no problem buying slightly used
    but mint stuff - the prices and assortment are even better.

1. If you have a tailored or otherwise great-fitting suits - measure them.
    Here's a pretty good guide: http://www.styleforum.net/t/1463/hof-how-to-measure-for-ebay/30#post_5321905
    If you don't know how a suit should fit, you better google that first for best results.

2. Only use sellers with good reputation who list the measurements of the clothes. Most good sellers have them always listed on the item description.
    Have patience - this is not a overnight makeover! (Those cost much more)

3. Ebay lets you set the search parameters pretty accurately but don't set them too tight. Also, don't trust the manufacturers size tags that much - use the measurements to find the correct fit for you. For example, euro sizes are different from the US ones with most brands.

Saved searches etc. can save you some time.

4. Start with something cheaper. Buying a 5000$ luxury suit for 1000$ from Ebay isn't a as good idea as it might sound unless you know exactly what you are doing and are familiar with the brand. When you have a better hang of it, you can move the more luxurious stuff.

5. Some sellers also accept offers instead of normal bidding or buying now -options. Some you can lowball pretty badly and still get them to sell it to you sometimes.

6. IMPORTANT When the clothes arrive you should usually take them to tailor(/somebody else who does this stuff) for little adjustments. If the tailor has to change many things - then the measurements weren't probably right for you in the first place.

7. Profit. If you do this right and with some patience and luck, you can have a great suit for every day for a fraction of its original retail price and you most likely will look better than 90% of your colleagues and acquaintances, depending of course on the place where you work or do business at.

Other than Ebay, there are of course more good places for men's clothing online but there are too many variables at play for me to make good suggestions for you. Shoes are also pretty difficult to recommend since this also depends on many things - mainly your correct fit that is impossible for anyone else than you to know.

So there's that. Also, in before the "Wow, that's gay!" and "No homo, but.." posts. :grin:

#14 saintja2, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

16. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Yeah, it's usually on sale right next to Ed Hardy gear.