1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a wii

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Sep 30, 2008.

1. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I have an xbox 360 right now.

I'm going to buy a wii. I know that it isn't the greatest as far as graphics, but do I need to get a hdmi cable for it? Can I use the one that is connected to my xbox 360 and just switch which system it is connected to?

What about connectivity? Does it come with a wireless connection?

I know that I can find all this out when I get to the store and buy the system, but I wanted to know how much I will need to buy some of these things and how much I will be able to use those funds towards some games for the wii.

Does the wii come with any games like bowling or tennis or any of those?

I have heard great things about Mario Cart, and Zelda. I'm wondering what other games people consider must haves for the wii.

2. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Wii is a gimmick machine that only people that don't like video games and girls like.

There is no HDMI from the Wii. There is no upconversion. There is just diarrhea view with you standing up swinging a controller at a screen.

3. mic

mic Member

I'll answer what I know:

It comes with wireless connection.

It comes with Wii Sports, which has tennis and bowling (must be what you're thinking of).

For games, Zelda is great if you haven't already played it on GC. I haven't played Mario Kart... Super Mario Galaxy is awesome. I have tons of Wii games, but they get little attention, to be honest. Not because I don't like the Wii, but I just play my Xbox a whole lot more.

Also Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

4. AGBee

AGBee Member

The Wii has built in wireless.

It doesn't have an HDMI port. You will have to buy a separate component video cable if you want 480p.

It comes with Wii Sports which includes the bowling, tennis, baseball, etc. mini games.

Zelda is good but it's basically a GameCube game that had Wii controls added on.

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet but Super Mario Galaxy is unanimously rated as the top title. Metroid Prime 3 is pretty highly rated too. I've had people tell me that Mario Kart for Wii isn't as fun as previous versions, and that the Wii controls suck. Haven't played it though. Resident Evil 4 if you managed to miss it on GC and PS2. No More Heroes can be found for cheap. Smash Brothers Brawl if you like fighters with Nintendo fan service.

The only reason I've turned my Wii on recently is to hack it and put WiiWare and VC titles on it.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Cool, thanks for the info. So I'll try and get Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't actually played any of the Zelda games, so I might get that too.

Thanks.

6. mic

mic Member

The Paper Mario game is also really fun.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have found that while the graphics are not spectacular, the picture looks significanly better with the component 480P connection and is worth the investment in the cable if you have a larger TV.

8. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

I would highly recommend Super Mario Galaxy. If you are a fan of any of the previous Mario games (who isn't?) then you'll LOVE it.

Also, I like Mario Kart. The Wii controls are great for me. If you use the nunchuck and the remote, it feels great. Also being able to play online with friends or random people around the world is great.

9. Matador

Matador Member

highly rated Wii games: Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros., Okami, Resident Evil 4 (currently top on my play list...great game and got it for $18 at Fry's), Zach and Wiki, Super Paper Mario.

I own Wii Play, RE4, My Word Coach, Wii Fit.

I am thinking of getting Defend Your Castle for Wiiware for my next game. I'm hoping some of the games mentioned above will come down in price soon (like PS2 greatest hits).

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

mario galaxy is a great...great game.

ELebits is simple but a lot of fun.

RE4 (even though its not original) is a lot better with the controls

Brawl is awesome.

No More heros is very cool (weird, but cool)

they also have a several cool games on the way.

despite the overcompensation (for their small penis) some xbox/ps3 owners have, and feel the need to insult the wii....it's a great little system with some great games.

11. rocketman111gay

Well my favorite thing about the Wii is that the string that goes around your hand breaks in mid swing during your tennis match and flys through your brand new $3500 73 inch tv.

12. rocketman111gay

one thing that the Wii has that no other system has is that i can buy the cables and hook it up to my verizon wireless dare phone and play on it.

13. Miguel

Miguel Member

I...don't really think this is correct.

14. Astro101

Astro101 Member

RE4, Galaxy, and Zack and Wiki. Amazing games.

Also I played some of Steven Spielberg's game, Boom Blox. That was pretty fun.

15. rocketman111gay

Have you tried it?

16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

why would you want to do this???

17. rocketman111gay

u cant do this

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

I have one I'm looking to sell.

I have only one controller, but a charger station for two wiimotes and two rechargeable batteries.

I also have Zelda, RE4, Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid Prime Corruption, Sports, Marvel UA and couple of virtual console games like Super Mario 3, Lost Winds, and the internet browser.

Email me @ lpbman3@yahoo.com if you're interested.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I think my Wii has been a waste of money. The lack of games is pathetic.

20. Yak

Yak Member

I searched so long for a Wii when it first came out, and I was greatly disappointed when I first played it.

I initially bought Zelda, but it wasn't the game for me. I only played it for 6 hours.

Then I waited for over a year for Smash Brothers Brawl, and after so much hype, I found it to be more dulled down and simplified than Melee.

To summarize, I love video games, and I have all my life, but the Wii isn't the console for me.