1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyers Guide: Rudy Gay...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Updated: June 25, 2010, 6:57 PM ET

Buyer's Guide: Rudy GayGay is young, talented and jumps out of the gym, but that doesn't mean he's a top target

Email

By Tom Haberstroh

Special to ESPN Insider

Archive

ESPN Insider is analyzing NBA free agents not named LeBron James (we covered him pretty extensively a few weeks ago, and there's even more coming every day on the LeBron Tracker) to determine what they're really worth to the teams chasing them this summer. To follow the entire series, click here. We continue Friday with Rudy Gay.

OVERALL ASSESSMENT
    Even after four seasons of NBA ball, Rudy Gay remains a slab of marble. Before the Connecticut high-flier was drafted eighth overall in 2006, the words "upside" or "freak" were sprinkled heavily in every scouting report and projection. This summer, expect more of the same.

ESPN Insider is analyzing NBA free agents not named LeBron James (we covered him pretty extensively a few weeks ago, and there's even more coming every day on the LeBron Tracker) to determine what they're really worth to the teams chasing them this summer. To follow the entire series, click here. We continue Friday with Rudy Gay.

OVERALL ASSESSMENT
    Even after four seasons of NBA ball, Rudy Gay remains a slab of marble. Before the Connecticut high-flier was drafted eighth overall in 2006, the words "upside" or "freak" were sprinkled heavily in every scouting report and projection. This summer, expect more of the same.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5327302

Can someone post of this insider article please. He's the free agent that the Clippers are most likely going to target...

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope Rudy Gay likes New York.

3. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

The Knicks gunna suckkkkkkk

4. Dei

Dei Member

To be fair, he was playing in Memphis.

5. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5327302

6. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I kind of would like to see him sign with the Clippers...

A line up of: Davis / Gordon / Gay / Griffin / Kaman with Butler / Aminu / Bledsoe off the bench. They could compete now and in the future.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I'm interested to know what people think about this question. Would you rather have Kevin Martin or Rudy Gay (all else equal)?

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Definitely going to have to go with Martin because he's still much more efficient than Gay is, Durability's an issue but its fine if we can assume that you're just comparing skill set. Gay's main problem is that he lacks the motivation to get better, or to become more dominant. He seems like he's adapted Vince Carter's attitude in that he'll go for 20 pts and a few rebounds but contribute nothing else. At least Martin will give you points, draw fouls (slow down the tempo of the game, therefore controlling it and forcing teams to play to our pace) and hopefully be able to spot up and knock down 3's. And don't they play different positions too? I thought Gay was a SF and Martin was a SG? In any event I would definitely choose Martin over Gay, durability in question and all. :)

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Martin for sure. Far more efficient.

Gay is overrated but will get a big paycheck because he scores 20ppg and has "upside" no matter that he does things that hurts his team.

10. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Kevin Martin is a better basketball player than Gay... Gay is bigger and more athletic but Martin will help us win more games

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I was thinking the same thing. It's like the old school Clips from years back when they had Q, Miles, Maggette and were a young team with lots of athletes. It would be a fun team to watch.

Gay going to the Clips though...will the owner pony up the cash? I doubt it.

12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

fixed ;)

I think hes like Joe Johnson hes really good but wont get u over the hump and he can easily be taken out of the game and they lack a Kobe-type mentality, more like a McGrady mindframe

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am really not a fan at all... Hopefully he goes to the Knicks as someone said...

14. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I would love to see rudy gay in a rockets uniform. Maybe slide over to the 3 spot and have ariza playing backup 3 would be sick.

G-brooks/lowry
    G-martin/buddinger
    F-gay/ariza
    F-scola/Patterson
    C-yao/hill

15. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

nah he has none of the qualities u need to be a Rocket, pass

16. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member