1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buy Cassette Tapes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da_juice, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

cassette is the new vinyl for hipsters. where 20 years ago you had the indie rockers wetting themselves over getting the latest release on vinyl, today you see the modern hipster salivating over cassettes (presumably whilst wearing a pork-pie hat, v-neck t, skinny jeans, a vest and an ironic mustache.

there are several indie and boutique labels now putting out stuff on cassette. seems pretty silly to me. i understand the value of vinyl, but bringing back cassettes just reeks of trying too hard to be "hip" or "vintage" - which actually makes sense seeing as how hipsters are also often referred to as "try-hards" - they put way too much effort into trying to look like a not-care-about-anything-hipster so i guess having to fastforward and rewind cassettes goes right along w/ that philosophy.

there is also a trend of forgoing digital cameras for polaroid and even in the gamer community, the hipsters are going back to the atari - its all about the 80's/vintage brah!

but to answer your question, i would go to thrift stores as others have mentioned. people practically giving them away (even in this thread!) and you can find a surprising selection at goodwill or salvation army.

i still have about 75 cassettes and a cassette player. its not a trend for me...its a way of life yo.

2. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

Half price books is were i get my tapes

3. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

Man, I used to have hundreds of those things and now i have none:(. I must have thrown them away during one of my moves. Any one else join those record clubs back in the 80's where you get 24 for a penny as long as you bought 4 more for "regular" club prices?

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my last vehicle I bought in '07 was a 1997 model that lasted until early this month with a cassette player.

it was awesome to go back to my childhood home and break out the old tape deck collection- so many old tapes from high school were brought out of retirement.

then I hit up a record store and found all these new tapes for sale for $2- it was a goldmine.

hey everyone lets talk about hipsters.

5. Bellaire Brody

[​IMG]