1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[businessmirror]‘Big Shot Rob’ shoots straight on ‘The Dream’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/15822-big-shot-rob-shoots-straight-on-the-dream.html

When asked who was the best center he ever played with, Horry, who played the middle for the Crimson Tide, didn’t bat an eyelash when he declared former Houston Rockets’ great Hakeem Olajuwon as the top slotman.

“He was so talented and could do so many different things. I’d put him on top and Tim [Duncan] and Shaquille [O’Neal] can trade places for second and third.”

Horry then paused, smiled, and made sure he was clear with his intentions, “Hey, Shaq and Tim...I love you guys, okay?”

He let out a laugh. Clearly he was having fun. With time left for one question, I asked how he’d like to be remembered. Horry, who still looks lean and in game shape, coolly replied: “I’m just a guy who got the opportunity to knock down some big shots for a championship or two. It can’t get any better than that.”
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Horry knows.

3. shsu33

shsu33 Member

He's still one of my favorite players all-time. It says he's still lean and in game shape. Why did we sign Pops? If were in the playoff hunt, we should scoop him up around early March!

4. Asian Sensation

I loved his 1 dribble from behind the arc go go gadget arm super dunk.

5. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

he said the same thing on CP's show a couple months back.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course Hakeem was better than Shaq and Duncan. It is not even a debate.

Hakeem would make Tim Duncan look worse than David Robinson. He is a better player in EVERY aspect of the game...

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Hakeem is the best of 3, I just wish his span of dominance lasted longer than 5 years. It should have been 10.

Duncan has been great for 10 years. 1999-2008. I thought he dipped a little last year, but I expect a bounceback year next year from Duncan.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream was EASILY dominant for 10 years...

His second year he was averaging 24-12-3.

Ten years later he was averaging 27-11-3.

9. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Anyone who doesn't say Olajuwon is either too young to have seen Dream play or doesn't know much about the game.

Period.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed although I'll go a step further and say David Robinson in his prime was actually better than Duncan in his prime. He certainly didn't win as much but the individual numbers Robinson was putting up for many years before the back injury were as good as any Center in the modern era. He was Hakeem's equal until Dream flat out became a big game monster once the supporting cast was put around him.

11. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

agreed

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

In before the haterz. :cool:

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

happy 999 to you! :D

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'll give Hakeem 8 years ------ 86-88, 93-97.

He was not dominant from 89-92, and that puzzles me to this day. A fan can clearly see a difference in his quality of play starting in the middle of the 92-93 season.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's the best center ever. But from 89-92, it was like he was going through the motions.

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

My big hope from all this is that people finally stop referring to Tim Duncan as the "best power forward of all time".

It's semantics, at the end of the day, but I always felt that Tim Duncan was more center than power forward. Both positions can be interchangable at the NBA level, of course, so there's nothing wrong with calling Duncan a power forward instead of a center....

....but he's always been a better post man than anybody else on the Spurs. He and David Robinson kind of split time and roles between the 4 and 5 spots.

But I've always laughed at the idea that people rated players by the media guide.

If you wanted, you could make a case for Hakeem being just as great a power forward (at least offensively) as he was a center....

....but a lot of that is just me gushing over the Dream.....

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Horry not only just gets the job done he knows his stuff!

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

89-90? You mean the year he averaged 24 ppg, 14 rpg, and 4.6 bpg... leading the league in both rebounds and blocked shots and finishing in the top 10 in steals while being named to the All defensive team and 2nd team All-NBA?

A fan would know he didn't play a full season in 90-91 (56 games) because Bill Cartwright broke his eyesocket. Still, he averaged 20ppg, 13 rbg, and 4 bpg (which led the league)... not bad for someone going through the motions.

91-92? The year they sucked and Chaney was fired and interim coach Rudy T came into an uncertain situation? Dream still averaged 21.6, 12, and 4.3.

2 people like this.
  18. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

NiiiiiiCcccceee :)

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Horry definitely knows what's up. It's funny reading the spurs fan website and seeing their comments. It's like they can't accept the fact that the Dream is better than Timmy. One of them even said Hakeem was only dominant for 2 years. The delusion is beyond ridiculous in that website.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

YEA!

Rocket River
    . . . kids these days