1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Business School Decision (MBA)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Member

I will be starting MBA school in the Fall and have narrowed my choice down to the following two programs:

Indiana University (Kelley Direct)
    UH

Indiana is a top 25 program that I can do 100% online. However, I'm not sure how much career help I will get from a program based in Indiana that is totally online. Also, I'm afraid that I will miss out on the MBA experience.

With UH, it is not ranked as high as Indiana. However, I will benefit from going to an actual class. Also, I think going to a local school may help me find a job in the Houston-area post graduation.

Any opinions or suggestions on which I should choose?

For what it's worth, IU is $55,000 and UH is $33,000. I would have applied to UT's MBA program in Houston as well as Rice, but the expense is what deterred me from applying.

1 person likes this.
  2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

in-state tuition at UT is 60k. same as IU basically

I'd pick UH...half of what you get out of school (prosibly more) is involved with actually being there and interacting with your classmates

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

What do you want to do after you get your MBA? I think it depends on your goals.

Full- time or part- time?

Do you currently have a job?

4. juicystream

juicystream Member

I do the Georgia Web MBA (through University of West GA, but there are other participating schools including my alma mater, Georgia Southern). Graduating in the spring. Cost is $20,000, so a lot cheaper than the programs you mentioned.

http://www.webmbaonline.org/

In the end, it really isn't that important where you get your degree from. Nobody will know you got it online unless you tell them. If you are looking for networking opportunities, it is obviously better to stay local. Because I live in Georgia, most of the students and administrators that I have met, are from GA/FL (though there are international students, and students from nearly every state have been a part of the program).

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I really wish you'd at least considered applying to Rice. I interned at a financial consulting firm that does fairness opinions and business valuations, and everyone there had UT or A&M bachelors and UH MBAs; but that was back in 2000 and I just don't know how much the job market might have changed to affect its value.

Go ahead and go to U of H but be prepared to just box out some undergrads for Credit Analyst, Retail Buyer (Macy's/May Company), Corporate Trust Administrator or salaried/draw Financial Advisor positions on Post Oak. Don't hold out for an energy trading gig either, that's where all the smart kids went after all their "VC, PE????????" threads at Vault.com got flamed.

6. BetterThanEver

What kind of networking opportunities are available when you do online study?

Remember it's not just what you know, it's who you know.

You would be surprised the number of lonely bookworms that can't find jobs, while average students have jobs waiting upon graduation.

If you have lots of career experience currently, then you don't have to worry.

7. g1184

g1184 Member

If you're planning on staying in Houston, I'd go with UH. I'm willing to bet there are more local businesses with ties to UH than those with ties to IU. My girlfriend had to make a similar decision three years ago. She choose the lower ranked school in San Diego, where she envisioned looking for a job/living, and networking within the school landed her a position here after graduation.

8. huypham

huypham Member

Echo the point of looking at rice - know lots of folks that gotten sizeable scholarships there. they're really trying to improve the program.

your boy Sanju is also there for the Rice weekend MBA

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Already have a corporate job, want to move up within the corporation? Indiana.
    Want to expand your horizons, land a better job? UH.

10. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Why is this? I'm a senior and I'm about to take the GMAT in a couple of weeks. My plan is not to go to grad school right away but work for a couple of years since my GMAT score will last for 5 years.

Any advice?

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Option A you're padding your CV for a promotions committee (in house). This option can be done at your leisure from the comfort of your own home while you have also have a full-time job.

Option B you're making (crucial) contacts to get you a job. Networking is always important but is somewhat moot if you already have a job and just need to advance up the ladder. It would be networking for your next, external job.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Devry is easier.

DD

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Agree, but I think The University of Phoenix offers the intimate "virtual classroom" environment which encourages individuals to learn in a more collaborative environment. Not to mention the tremendous career opportunities that come from the Phoenix MBA alumni network.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Doing a evening MBA at Rice, I hadn't realized going in how much of the MBA experience was in club-life that I missed out on because I wasn't a day-timer. If you're going to be a full-time student, I'd say definitely UH to get the full experience.

Also, I'd say you take whatever format for a Big 7 program. Short of that, you won't get more than a regional reputation. I don't think Indiana will give you much recognition outside the midwest. If you intend to work in Houston, UH's reputation is serviceable around here, and you'll run into other UH MBAs all over the place.

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

For me personally, I had an opportunity to meet personally with fellow members of the program, the faculty, and the administrators during a weekend long orientation. Then the program is group based, so I communicate frequently within my group.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

My MBA included two web-based courses (out of 18 total). Based on my experience, I would not recommend an online program. The classroom is where the action is.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Classroom experience is what an MBA is all about, unless you simply need the resume booster to move up within your current corporation.

18. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Whatever you do, don't go to northwestern. :)

19. LFE171

LFE171 Member

^ jk. I'm going to UH evening MBA while working full time. I made the decision to go to Bauer because of local networking and business modeling classes. I've interviewed at a few places , and my "excel acumen" (as little credit I give myself) is deemed pretty high to others. Rogers class is pretty damn legit. Not sure if IU has excel modeling classes. Good luck wherever you go!

20. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Member

Thank you everyone for your help and input.