1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Business] Disney Buys Lucas Films For $4Bill, new Star Wars Movies Starting in 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Oct 30, 2012.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I think given the cinema technology these could be great. I think their best bet since the plot line has been resolved ( Why Darth Vader turned to the Dark Side ) is to focus on the origin stories of the other characters. I think Star Wars 7 will work, because we all want to know what happened next, but their best bet after that would be to tackle some origin stories for many of their characters. Easy money. And I think Lucas has seen how there are many talented folks out there who won't mess up the art he created. But it was all based on interesting characters. So they need to continue developing that soap opera aspect, but with better dialogue.

2. Nero

Nero Member

The problem with origin stories in the Star Wars universe is the simple fact that none of those original - and still extremely popular - main characters ever interacted at all until the events in the 4th movie out of 6 (allegedly).

This meant that arguably the most interesting character from Star Wars - Han Solo - was completely left out in the cold by the prequels, and instead we were focused solely on young Darth Vader.

That problem still remains.

In order to tell a proper origin story, you have to exclude the other characters, or dilute your movie so much as to make it tepid.

Honestly, if they put in serious effort to make a 'Young Han Solo' tpe movie, showing his history in the Corellian sector, and how he became pals with Chewbacca, maybe how he conned Lando out of the Falcon, some of his antics and adventures, especially in dealings with the likes of underworld types such as Jabba, then yeah, fine, that would be cool.

But I don't want a 3-movie series dealing with Han Solo as a 5 year old, in a space-orphanage with 5 year old Chewy, and how their adoptive uncle was Lando's dad, and how Qui-Gon Jin just HAPPENED to be meddling behind the scenes to make sure things go the way they go.. bleh. I say all that because I KNOW how Lucas' mind works (or fails to work) and that mess is exactly the sort of thing he would try.

NO.

The problem is, of course, that if they do it right, there won't be any of the other familiar characters in the movie. But Lucas and other empty suits will try to cram them in there somehow, and that won't work. It's like having Threepio having been hand-made by baby Anakin. WTF. Stupid stupid stupid.

Anyway, just my $.02 on 'origin stories'.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How long does it take for Disney to make back that investment?

4. Nero

Nero Member

My guess is, less than ten years, they will have made it all back.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll be 46 when the next Star Wars movie comes out, so I don't know if it'll re-stoke the nerd fire. I do hope they come up with something really good.

George Lucas poked the pooch in the prequel series. Glad he handed it over. Once he became wrapped up in new technology, movies became video games to him. You have to invest in your characters or the movie will not pay off, no matter what the box office turns out to be.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll go see them, I'm a Star Wars addict. I saw the first film at the first showing on the day of release, and was completely surprised. I'd read some about it, seen some trailers, but it was just so freakin' better than I expected. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll be good. J. J. Abrams is one of several directors that could do a good job, if they have a good script.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm a Star Wars nerd so I will of course watch them. Even if I want to gouge my eyes out after the credits like the prequels.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Me-sa Jah Jah BEENKS! Me-sa no Rastafarian rayciss wet dream, no suh!

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

All of you hard-core Star Wars fanatics bad-mouthing Lucas and Disney about this whole deal will STILL see the movies... don't lie. You want to see them anyway, and you'll spend money on buying character stuff at stores. :p

EDIT: just saw Deckard's post. :) Yes, just like that.

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Star Wars - Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flare!

Can't wait!

1 person likes this.
  11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I don't want no trekkie doing a Star Wars movie!

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Could there be any tie to the supposed title of the tv series being "underworld" and with the game "Star Wars: 1313" (which looks amazing btw) being about an underground criminal city in Coruscant have any ties with Boba Fett? And would Boba Fett or one of his clones play a big part in the movie?

PS: i <3 Boba!

13. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Why do i keep seeing Brad Bird's name pop up on other forums? I don't get it. He seems to be the favorite choice to direct. He's only directed Ghost Protocol. It was entertaining. And then he's done Ratatouille and Iron Giant. Animations....wtf. I'm not saying he can't do it. But, where is all the love coming from when you have so many others out there? Is he supposed to be a huge Star Wars fanboy?

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Guillermo del Toro.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tommy Wiseau

For those interested - Wiseau will be in Houston on November 24th screening The Room.

16. 713

713 Member

JJ ABRAMS

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nice call! Loved the creatures in Hellboy 2! Some of the best since Star Wars.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He's attached to a Warner DC comics thing. Kinda like the Avengers but with 2nd tier DC characters.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

David Fincher is the best choice for this movie and it's not even close.