1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Business] Disney Buys Lucas Films For $4Bill, new Star Wars Movies Starting in 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Dei

Dei Member

Marvel. I have absolute faith on whatever team envisioned the Avengers.

I'm almost sad for George Lucas. He sounds like a broken man.

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Shameless money grab.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

You just blew my load.

4. Nero

Nero Member

The first two were masterpieces. Not coincidentally, those were the two where Lucas did NOT have total creative control.

But with the massive amounts of money and power brought on by the successes of the first two, from that point, Lucas was able to surround himself with yes-men and had total creative control, and it is apparent on the screen. Heck, Lucas had not even finished a FIRST DRAFT of the script before shooting had started on Return of the Jedi.

He is a horrible writer, a horrible director, he doesn't like doing either job, he doesn't like actors, and he has no integrity or understanding of the universe he inadvertently created with Star Wars.

The good news is, Disney did not just spend 4 BILLION dollars just to sit on its hands and do nothing with the property, and with that kind of investment, they absolutely won't be half-assing it either.

Hallelujah!

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Meh, Episode 3 was really not bad at all...the other two were trash though.

Any ways ah well. We'll see what they do with it. I wonder if they are going to just go off in their own little universe though or follow all the stuff from the books and what not.

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

The original plans for Return, had Solo dying and instead of Ewoks-wookies. Those plans changed with marketing plans for toys, etc for kids.

7. Prince

Prince Member

I'd like to see jedi Goofy.

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

because 7 ate 9

9. rtsy

rtsy Member

ew.

But there is also this

"The deal includes plans for Star Wars: Episode VII, which is in early development, aiming for release in 2015. Walt Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced in a shareholder conference call that the studio also plans to release Episode VIII and Episode IX. “Our longterm plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years,” he added, noting that the deal came with “an extensive and detailed treatment for the next three movies.”"

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film/

10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

No entiendo.

11. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Better than the prequels, these new movies will be. Hmmmmmm.

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

So... might Disney now do that release of the original theatrical versions of the first trilogy on blu-ray, like everyone has been asking for?

13. rtsy

rtsy Member

14. Dei

Dei Member

OH I"M SORRY DID I JUST HEAR YOU SAY THAT RETURN OF THE JEDI WAS BAD!?!?

[​IMG]

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That would be a bummer to me. I heard a while ago of a possible Episode Zero, showing the Sith Wars and how Yoda came to earn his legendary status.

And whatever happened to Kevin Smith directing 100 episodes for a TV show about the 501st Legion? I was excited for that, too.

Anyway, I'm a sucker and will probably pay to see these in the theaters no matter what.

::EDIT::

Oh and by the way I own a jacket that is a replica of Luke's X-Wing jacket. Yes I'm a baller.

#75 Haymitch, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  16. Nero

Nero Member

No way he has done that, he hates writing, he hated the idea of being forced to do any more writing or directing on Star Wars, and if anyone has done a treatment, it absolutely was not Lucas, even if that bearded Jabba has his name on it.

And if it sucks, which it probably does anyway, into the trash can it will go.

17. rtsy

rtsy Member

I think you're right - I guess more would have been said about that if so. Hopefully I'm reading too much into it.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm excited. I was badly hoping for a new trilogy.

I wish the latest 3 could be undone. LOL Reboot Star Wars?

Nero is right, Lucas had no idea what kind of universe he created when he made Star Wars. And then the book writers came a long and expanded it into something brilliant and beautiful and it was like Lucas hated that they made so much awesomeness so he took a brook and swept it all away with the 3 abominations.

19. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

This is great. Don't have to wait 10+ years for more Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is awesome news -- finally American Graffiti 2.