1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush passes milestone: LEAST. POPULAR. EVARR!!111!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Oct 7, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He is the most popular and least popular all by himself, that's really impressive. I don't think this record will be broken within our lifetime.

3. SamFisher

He has terrorists to thank for his popularity. Ironically, if terrorists posted on a basketball BBS - they could post "I helped america's C-in-C more than anybody!" in their signature and it would be true.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

To put things in perspective, has any Congress job rating been lower than this:

10/4-5/08, Approve 13%, Disapprove 78%, Unsure 9%, Approve minus Disapprove 65%

http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

5. pirc1

What exactly could the congress do when Bush vetos just about anything? This is a do nothing congress, but sure beats the rubber stamp congress previously.

That's part of the reason I want a Democrat congress along with a Democrat president, so they can fix this mess we are in, they better or they will be cast aside like garbage next time around.

#5 pirc1, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. SamFisher

Oh wnes did you start us out on the 'Congress' tangent?

Unlike the president's approval rating, which is pretty personally tied to the President himself, Congress' approval rating is a vague institutional rating that generally shows a long slow downward trajectory for the last 40 years regardless of who is in command - it's not really comparable to a presidential approval rating (if so the Republicans would be poised to take over congress when instead they are going to get badly pounded

END TANGENT

7. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

"It was like finding a vein on a failure junkie."

<embed FlashVars="videoId=185196" src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

"You're saying the president here won't be satisfied until American children are eating roadkill?" suggested Stewart.

"Until they're fighting over roadkill," Oliver emphasized. "Until roadkill is the prize for the strongest."

When Stewart asked why Bush would possibly want this, Oliver explained that it was a matter of "legacy. ... We all know he'll never be ranked as the best president. But he could still, if he works hard enough ..."

"Be the worst?"

"The last."

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all....

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

We'll see.

The only distinction here is the individual vs institution, but if you think Bush himself, alone, is responsible for all this mess, your partisanship is beyond reproach. The Dem-controlled Congress had nearly two years of opportunity to avert the crisis, but they did next to nothing.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got your tangent...
    [​IMG]

hangin'.
    [​IMG]

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm going to nitpick. Bush isn't the least popular President ever. He's at 25%, and Nixon hit 24%, and Truman 22%. He is the most unpopular ever, though. There's a difference.

12. SamFisher

wnes, sorry but we saw the last of your *special* political acumen go out the door when you rather hilariously promised that you were going to "nail" Barack Obama, right here, on this BBS, with your postings, and derail his momentum - which happened to coincide inversely with his upward trajectory during the primaries. :D

The distinction about individual vs. institution is humongous. It's like saying "I love Yao Ming" but "I hate China's Authoritarian Government and its policies" - the two are apples and oranges.

PS - basso, wnes, I will make sidebets with you as to the Republicans re-taking control of the least popular congress ever. Please let me know the terms and how long you two wish to take off the BBS.

13. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congress approval rating

This is the only historical data I could find, because I know you like accurate information - but I don't see that slow downward trajectory you see............

However, I do agree that the poll is useless in comparison...........

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

To be fair -- wnes has been overwhelmed recently with the Chinese milk scandal.

15. SamFisher

You would if we ignored the post Sept-11 spike.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

17. pirc1

That's low! Do not bring China into this please.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The only thing less popular than George W. Bush is Chinese milk.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that, my friends, is a bet we can believe in.

basso, aren't you confident that the public is on the verge of realizing the significance of the Ayers story? And that a newly surging McCain will sweep the Republicans back into power in Congress because the American people hate the "Democrat" Congress so much more than Bush?

20. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Melamine-y! :mad: