1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush I says son Dubya victim of bad advice from Cheney and Rumsfeld

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 5, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In his new autobiography Bush I says poor Dubya was misinformed by his advisors. Poor boy. We now have ISIS and have killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and spent trillions. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

As some recall Bush I was supposedly the one who wanted the hapless Dubya to have someone experienced like Cheney to help with things since he has shown virtually no interest in foreign affairs or travel in his life.

In an upcoming new biography, former president George H.W. Bush is finally revealing what he thinks about his son's former aides, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. And he's not pulling any punches.

Describing Cheney as an "iron-ass" and Rumsfeld as "arrogant," the 91-year-old Bush told his biographer Jon Meacham that he believed his son's presidency was ultimately "hurt" by the two confidantes, both of whom have been viewed as wielding an unprecedented level of authority with then-President George W. Bush.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/11/george-hw-bush-cheney-rumsfeld

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He's not wrong. Cheney and Rumsfeld sank Bush's presidency. Bush had some very thoughtful cabinet members in his first term like Paul O'Neill and Colin Powell (Both of whom would probably be labeled as Democrats today). Both were essentially pushed out by Cheney.

Paul O'Neill in particular was a big opponent of the Bush tax cuts. He even correctly pointed out that the tax cuts would blow up the budget deficit to which Cheney famously said "deficits don't matter". Paul O'Neill was a super old school Republican from the Ford administration. His tenure in office pre-dated the constant focus on how a policy might impact the next election. O'Neill's book is worth reading to get a picture of how he felt during the first two years in the White House. Eventually, Cheney got O'Neill fired for opposing Cheney's agenda.

The negative things said about Cheney dont even do justice to how bad an influence he was. Cheney systematically purged the White House of any contrarian voices. It wasn't until 2006 when it was clear that the Democrats were going to make gigantic gains in the elections that Cheney's influence started to weaken. And even then he still maintained some level of control.

Bush was a victim of his advisers. In Texas he had some good ones. In Washington, his good advisers were quickly purged.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Nope! Sorry pops! Your criminal son doesn't get a pass.

History will not look kindly on 43's time in office.

#3 mc mark, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Points for honesty but nothing we don't already know.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think it is just an attempt to resurrect the Bush name. Gulf War I was stupid also and they created ISIS and wasted trillions of US dollars and killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. Well you win some; you lose some. No biggie for the Bushes and friends really.

I view this as just an attempt to help Jeb and possibly help Jeb's son who they have installed in Austin as Land Commissioner ? IIRC as he probably tries to run for governor and president.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

These guys and James Baker were all at each other's throats in the '70s trying to get cabinet appointments or VP nominations under Ford and Nixon, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just some kind of weird residue from those old rivalries. Even if it wasn't I'd take all these quotes and comments with a grain of salt, and still commend Bush on his tact and diplomacy should he decide to deny them after the fact.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

To be fair, Bush 41 did say it's ultimately W's fault.

“The big mistake that was made was letting Cheney bring in kind of his own State Department. I think they overdid that…It’s not Cheney’s fault. It’s the president’s fault. The buck stops there.”

If Cheney and Rumsfeld had unprecedented power for their positions, it's only because W allowed it.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why did a C student who pretty much didn't do anything extraordinary get to be president of the US?

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The adult biography of W:

• Couldn't graduate high school in Texas, so he went to Massachusetts.
    • Couldn't get into public schools in Texas, so mommy and daddy bought his way into Yale.
    • Didn't want to fight in 'Nam, so daddy wrote a letter so he could fly planes in the National Guard.
    • Left the Nation Guard to study an MBA
    • Became an alcoholic shortly after leaving the National Guard, racking up a DUI and getting smashed every weekend for the next 14 years.
    • Started an oil company at age 30 despite no relevant work experience.
    • Woke up at age 40 and said "Gee, George, you can't just keep gettin' smashed every weekend. You got a wife, two kids, a mortgage, car payments, and a fledgling oil company - time to make something of yourself.
    • Yadda yadda yadda - president of the United States.

He's the victim of who he is. Dad's just trying to clear the family name.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Bush Sr. was critical of his son's Presidency while it was going on.

I also will give Sr. credit for admitting the obvious, Bush Jr. let his advisors influence him.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Because we elected him.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Actually we didn't. The SC did.

But that's another thread. :)

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because it's not a scholarship contest?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The fact that he was president pisses me off to this day and always will. It's not just the fact as stated he was not qualified, and the whole mass amounts of people dying for no reason in Iraq. But he got there in part because of his dad.

Now "I" have to deal with most likely Clinton becoming president. Ugggghhhh

On what plane of existence do people think 4 of the last 5 (6 out of 8 elections if Clinton wins) presidents should come from 2 families. It blows my mind.

How old are Obama's daughters going to be if After Clinton serves 2 terms? :rolleyes:

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We got a trustbuster and child labor laws with 2 out of 7. A couple of pre-Jacksonian abolitionists with 2 out of 5.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Old enough to still be black and female; rest easy, Will Rogers.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The crazy part is that W was a pretty good governor. Everyone liked and voted for the guy. He was smart and articulate too. Then he gets elected President and turns into a bumbling idiot who can't put two sentences together.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He was fortunate to have older, moderate Democrats in senior leadership, like Bob Bullock and Dan Morales, and Rove did a good job keeping him on message as far as low taxes and school reform. Had 9/11 not happened, tax cuts and holding the line on social issues would have been enough to keep him popular with conservatives and male independents.

I have no idea how smart (or conscientious) he is compared to his parents or brothers, he was very gregarious which is just as prudent a skill to have in his particular social circles. Any scrutiny of his intelligence probably seemed ridiculous when you consider how close we came to electing Palin, who is obnoxiously disengaged but still attention-starved.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There may not be an easier job in politics than republican Texas Governor.
    No real duties, no real conflicts, the guaranteed popularity of the State's braggadocio.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically he is calling his son a putz and saying Cheney and Rummy ran the show.

Probably would have been more insightful 15 years ago