1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush gives new reason for Iraq war

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thacabbage, Sep 5, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/08/31/bush_gives_new_reason_for_iraq_war/

Bush gives new reason for Iraq war

Says US must prevent oil fields from falling into hands of terrorists

By Jennifer Loven, Associated Press | August 31, 2005

CORONADO, Calif. -- President Bush answered growing antiwar protests yesterday with a fresh reason for US troops to continue fighting in Iraq: protection of the country's vast oil fields, which he said would otherwise fall under the control of terrorist extremists.

The president, standing against a backdrop of the USS Ronald Reagan, the newest aircraft carrier in the Navy's fleet, said terrorists would be denied their goal of making Iraq a base from which to recruit followers, train them, and finance attacks.

''We will defeat the terrorists," Bush said. ''We will build a free Iraq that will fight terrorists instead of giving them aid and sanctuary."

Appearing at Naval Air Station North Island to commemorate the anniversary of the Allies' World War II victory over Japan, Bush compared his resolve to President Franklin D. Roosevelt's in the 1940s and said America's mission in Iraq is to turn it into a democratic ally just as the United States did with Japan after its 1945 surrender. Bush's V-J Day ceremony did not fall on the actual anniversary. Japan announced its surrender on Aug. 15, 1945 -- Aug. 14 in the United States because of the time difference.

Democrats said Bush's leadership falls far short of Roosevelt's.

''Democratic Presidents Roosevelt and Truman led America to victory in World War II because they laid out a clear plan for success to the American people, America's allies, and America's troops," said Howard Dean, Democratic Party chairman. ''President Bush has failed to put together a plan, so despite the bravery and sacrifice of our troops, we are not making the progress that we should be in Iraq. The troops, our allies, and the American people deserve better leadership from our commander in chief."

The speech was Bush's third in just over a week defending his Iraq policies, as the White House scrambles to counter growing public concern about the war. But the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast drew attention away; the White House announced during the president's remarks that he was cutting his August vacation short to return to Washington, D.C., to oversee the federal response effort.

After the speech, Bush hurried back to Texas ahead of schedule to prepare to fly back to the nation's capital today. He was to return to the White House on Friday, after spending more than four weeks operating from his ranch in Crawford.

Bush's August break has been marked by problems in Iraq.

It has been an especially deadly month there for US troops, with the number of those who have died since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003 now nearing 1,900.

The growing death toll has become a regular feature of the slightly larger protests that Bush now encounters everywhere he goes -- a movement boosted by a vigil set up in a field down the road from the president's ranch by a mother grieving the loss of her soldier son in Iraq.

Cindy Sheehan arrived in Crawford only days after Bush did, asking for a meeting so he could explain why her son and others are dying in Iraq. The White House refused, and Sheehan's camp turned into a hub of activity for hundreds of activists around the country demanding that troops be brought home.

This week, the administration also had to defend the proposed constitution produced in Iraq at US urging. Critics fear the impact of its rejection by many Sunnis, and say it fails to protect religious freedom and women's rights.

At the naval base, Bush declared, ''We will not rest until victory is America's and our freedom is secure" from Al Qaeda and its forces in Iraq led by Abu Musab alZarqawi.

''If Zarqawi and [Osama] bin Laden gain control of Iraq, they would create a new training ground for future terrorist attacks," Bush said. ''They'd seize oil fields to fund their ambitions. They could recruit more terrorists by claiming a historic victory over the United States and our coalition."

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Just another Lie!!!

3. Major

Major Member

It's good to see he was making an Iraq speech in the midst of the Hurricane Katrina hell (Wednesday).

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

As much I criticize Bush I'm not going to fault him for paying some attention to Iraq. Just to stress that I still don't agree with invading Iraq and think its handled badly but we shouldn't be ignoring it in the midst of what's going on with Katrina. To the point that the President is still talking about I think is a good thing.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

FINALLY the truth!

Operation Iraqi Liberation.

What took people so long to realize this? ;)

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Black gold, Texas tea.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I seem to remember some people on this BBS trashing me for saying the War in Iraq was about oil...back in 2003.

Hmmmm.............

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i have completely given up on bush. katrina was just another nail in the coffin for him and this is just another example of the complete lack of organization and focus within the administration.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, he's actually a quite intelligent president with lots of organization and focus. He's just a dirty, filthy liar.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So Saddam's regime was doing a pretty good job of protecting Iraqi oil from outsiders including terrorists and americans.

11. Major

Major Member

I disagree - it wasn't like it was an emergency Iraq speech. It was a PR speech to boost support for the war. Katrina likely will result in more American deaths in a week than 9/11 and Iraq combined have in total. This is the equivalent of a President making a speech on Social Security or tax code reform the day after 9/11.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

"Oil? Oil? Who said anything about oil? You cookin' somethin' B$%CH?"

-Dave Chappelle in the "Black Bush" skit

13. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

The war is about OIL!?.....shock!.....AAAAAWWWWWW!

You mean the fact that Iraq sits on the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world has something to do with why we invaded? I'm speechless.

You know what I just realized?.......Bush and most of the administration came from the energy business.....hummmm?

Bush now says we are there for oil, Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves and many top people in the administration came from the energy business. I think there could be a connection.

I feel like Sherlock Holmes!

14. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

the world uses 86million barrels a day.....the U.S uses 20million barrels/day ALONE!!....

so its silly for anyone to think that oil is not a reason....

15. droxford

droxford Member

Wasn't me, man. I've always known the true reason for the war.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

And yet his recent energy bill does nothing to address our oil dependency. Great leadership.

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No Blood for Oil - The most derided but accurate protest slogan of all-time.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm not denying that it isn't a PR speech but the truth is we still have 130K US troops actively engaged in a war that for good or bad has serious implications in regard to US standing and potentially US safety. Kofi Annan said this week that Iraq has become a greater training ground for terrorists than Afghanistan under the Taliban. I agree that the death toll from Katrina may very well exceed all US deaths in Iraq easily but that doesn't mean we should completely ignore Iraq to focus on Katrina. As I said in another thread in terms of resources we're fighting two wars. One in the middle east and one on the Gulf Coast.