1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush First One to File Suit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman95, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They've filed suit seeking an injunction against the perfectly legal manual recount.

Why not let it play out and then start fighting if the Gore camp foolishly starts filing lawsuits after all the votes are received and recounted.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, the legally mandated recount has taken place. The fact that there is a manual recount going on is because the Gore campaign asked those counties to count again. One could say that the Bush campaign is simply trying to end the endless challenges by trying to stop recount after recount. The votes have been recounted, how many times are we going to have to count them before we can accept the results? Keeping the nation in chaos by continually challenging the results is probably not good for the country (and this is a challenge by the Gore campaign. The votes have been recounted like the law requires. The Gore campaign wants them counted again. It's a re-recount in this case). Even Richard Nixon knew that (he had ample reason to challenge the 1960 results, but he chose not to for the good of the country. Too bad he had less respect for what was "good for the country" later on).

I'm not saying I necessarily support that line of reasoning, but I suspect that is where they are coming from.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I guess Bush realizes that the manual recounting will show that he lost Florida, and he is too scared to face the facts. Looks like Bush will do anything to win.

------------------
    2000-2001 Rockets Game Formulas:
    End of 1st quarter: "They're playing so well!"
    2nd: "What a great game!"
    3rd: "Theres no way they can lose now!"
    4th: "What the ******* **** happened?!!"
    Revote! Revote! Revote!......
    Rocket's Championship 2001!!

4. DUDE

DUDE Member

If AL GORE really gave a damn and really cared about EVERY vote. Then he would have had a hand count in Bush counties also. Why only do it in Four Gore Counties? Because he knows he is going to steal this election.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because these are four counties where people where complaining about irregularites immediately after they voted.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

6. DUDE

DUDE Member

Not true Rocketman.. It was because Gore's lawyers did a better job. They made the complaint first and took the front page headlines. Then Bush's lawyers let the deadline to declare Hand counts pass, while Gores jumped at it.

Do us a favor... who did you vote for? With all your objective and unbiased posts it is hard to tell.

------------------

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What would be the point of having a hand recount in a county where no irregularities are reported? Those were the main 4 counties that had significant irregularities in the voting. It just so happened that those 4 were primarily Democratic counties. I haven't heard of any significant irregularities in Republican counties, thus no hand recount. And for the record, RM95 is a lot more unbiased than you Dude.

------------------
    REVOTE! REVOTE! REVOTE!

Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'd put my money on Nader for RM95's vote. Dude, who did you vote for?

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. DUDE

DUDE Member

I tried to vote for Bush, but the ballot was screwed up so I ended up voting for HarrY Browne.

CAT,
    You havent heard about DUVAL county? That is a Republican county where there were 26,000 votes thrown out. Below is the story. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20001111/aponline130619_000.htm

------------------

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What irregularities? Ballots being thrown out for double votes? Same thing happened in another county as has already been mentioned. Happens all the time. Just because people in one county decided to throw a fit (after coaxing from party members) and not take accountability for screwing up a ballot, while another county decided to accept that they already had their chance to vote and messed it up, doesn't make one county worthy of a recount and not the other.

Who cares if the deadline for reporting irregularities for a recount has passed? The deadline for voting was Nov. 7th, yet nobody seems to care about that.

------------------
    People like to slam Bush's education record, but at least Texans know how to punch holes.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

TheFreak,

[​IMG]

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited November 11, 2000).]

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak,

People being turned away at ballot places, people going to ballot places and finding out that the address they were given were incorrect, people being told they couldn't vote because they were dead, people asking for help and being refused.

All that, plus an ILLEGAL ballot. (I don't give a **** who approved it, save it. If a judge approved murder, would it be legal?)

The fact is that asking for a manual recount is legal. It was granted. I'm sure that if Bush would have asked for a manual recount of any states, he would have received them. But based on the outcome of the first recount, he probably wouldn't want to risk it.

Dude, shut the fu(k up. I've never claimed to be unbiased, like you've been trying to insult everyone's intelligence on this board by saying you are. Ask Clutch, TheFreak and SamCassell, and they'll tell you this, I am quite open about my bias in this case.

BTW, I voted for Nader.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

13. DUDE

DUDE Member

ROcketman,
    You sure are tough. An internet tough guy. I never cursed you out, and I think it shows your intelligence to curse me for no reason other than the fact that you have nothing else to say.

I am a Bush supporter. But I dont vote straight republican. I actually cast this year for Democrats and Libertarians as well.

------------------

14. DUDE

DUDE Member

By the way, everyone is saying the ballot is illegal. Have you heard anyone mention that the last day or so? Nope. Dont you wonder why? According to Congressman Joe Scarborough of Florida, the ballot was INDEED legal. If you have a WRITE IN ballot the names have to be to the left with a box where you place a 'X' to vote on the right of the name.
    But, once again, according to the Congressman, a Manual or computer ballot can have the names on the Left or right of the boxes to punch.

I havent read the law, but I did hear the Congressman say that on Hannity and Colmes. I just wonder why, if it isnt true, why havent we heard any more talk about it being illegal? Maybe because it isnt?

------------------

15. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The legality of the ballot is apparently not going to decide the outcome of the race though DUDE.

The recount, and seeing whether or not the choad, I mean chad was removed from the ballot seems to be the key. I heard earlier from a guy today (I haven't seen or heard it confirmed anywhere) that it isn't definite that the famous 19,000 ballots failed b/c of a double punch, that they could have failed for some other reason. Is this true? Anyone?

IMO though, if the ballot isn't illegal AND the computer wasn't at fault (i.e. these guys really double punched) then Gore should concede. I say that as someone that voted for Gore... and someone that despises Dubya with every ounce of my essence. It's ridiculous that he, of all people, could be president (I digress [​IMG]). But, if the people spoke, the people spoke (I guess the argument could be made that the people did speak... and 200,000 of them liked Gore over Bush, I guess I agree w/ that).

By the way, if we did away with the elitist electoral college, can anyone imagine any sort of bs like this? Only, I suppose, if the entire outcome was within a margin that might be covered by some disputable area. It seems less likely that that would be a problem than in a situation such as the electoral college could allow (merely b/c of the big states) and that there would be more incentive for the entire voting population to turn out, that there votes would actually count (and that the Buchanans, Naders, et. al. wouldn't have been voted for during this election).

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Somebody better notify the Gore campaign that he needs to mount a legal challenge in Texas, too:

Potter could face new vote
    Election staff altered some original ballots with transparent ink

Potter County election workers altered some original election ballots by highlighting voters' ballot choices with transparent ink, a situation that could spark a recount or void the election if it is successfully challenged by a losing candidate, officials said.

Potter County Clerk Sue Daniel said county election workers encountered problems election night because the county's ballot counting scanner was unable to read the choices voters made in some cases. The problem delayed election results for several hours.

Elizabeth Hanshaw, a spokeswoman with Secretary of State Elton Bomer's office, said in lieu of duplicating the ballot, the state allows election workers to place a piece of transparent tape over the voter's mark and then place special stickers over the tape.

"That is a procedure we've authorized," Hanshaw said. "The tape on the original mark with the sticker on top of that, so you always retain the original mark.

"If you mark on the orinigal ballot, that is altering the original ballot. There's no way around that."

Daniel said the county issued duplicate ballots in some cases, as the law allows, but the county began running out of duplicates.

County workers attempted to stick labels on some ballots, but some of those would not feed through the ballot counting machine, she said.

Daniel said Thursday that election workers, in some cases, then used a blue highlighter to highlight choices indicated by voters on some original ballots."

"The blue highlighter, in my opinion, showed we could go and just go over the oval where the voters had actually voted, because the scanner wasn't sure that they had filled it in or not," Daniel said.

The move allowed ballots to go through the ballot scanning machine after it rejected them initially because the machine was unable to read some voters' picks.

"We too the blue highlighter, it was a pastel color of blue, so you could still see the voter's mark," Daniel said. "We felt like that was the best option, as well as the only option we felt like we had, given all the circumstances, that the voter intent never would be questioned."

Daniel was out of town Friday because of a death in the family and could not confirm whether ballots were taped over.

"If there is a recount or whatever, we will have to deal with it," Daniel said Thursday. "We felt that that was our best option at the time."

Under the state's election code, only a losing candidate can request a recount or seek an election contest, Hanshaw said. A losing candidate can either ask the county judge for a recount of file an election contest.

"A losing candidate has until Thursday to file for a recount with County Judge Arthur Ware, the officer who presides over the Potter County Commissioners Court. The commissioners court will canvass the election results Tuesday.

Or, a losing candidate can file a formal election contest with a district court, Hanshaw said.

"An election contest is basically a lawsuit. The deadline for that is 30 days after the canvass," Hanshaw said.

In the case of an election suit, a judge can order a recount or void the election and order another one.

In 1994, a Beaumont appeals court affirmed a lower court rulling that voided and election in which election workers "overmarked" ovals indicating voters' choices.

Randall County purchased the smae optical scanning machines used in Potter County, but its counting went more smoothly.

"We did not have any problems. We used exclusively the recommended pencils," Randall County Clerk Sue Bartolino said. "We very carefully handed everybody a pencil."

Of course, I don't think the vote would ever favor Gore up in the Texas Panhandle. Even Lyndon Johnson lost Amarillo in 1964.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page