1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Burned again by NBA League Pass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mattrbowers, Mar 31, 2010.

1. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Like many of you peeps, I don't live in an area that broadcasts the Rockets games ... only Spurs ... and Astros ... and Texans ... and, well the whole state shows da 'Boys. So to get my fan fix I have no choice but to pull more cash out of my wallet to order NBA league pass.

Paying nearly $200 extra one would think you could expect a quality service. BUT NO! I have already lost count of Rockets games which are supposed to show on LP but for one reason or another didn't. Granted, a couple of those times it was because the game was shown locally, and that's all good. Even when they do show up, many of them have tons of digital distortion (when the picture gets all boxy and freezes).

But take last night for example: 8 LP channels; 3 of the games used 2 channels each; one for home, one for away. Only the Rockets game had a single broadcast, and when I tuned in .... "Channel Unavailable. Your show will begin when this channel becomes available" Still not quite enough to get me mad, because they word it in a way that makes you think it's actually going to come on. Of course it never did. Oh, not to mention there was one LP channel that was unused.

And not that we have to worry about this in 2010, but don't get me started on the playoffs .... playoffs? playoffs! PLAYOFFS?! The minute the regular season is over, LP ends, including NBATV. Well, of course over the past few years Rockets 1st round playoff series have always been on NBATV! So now, after having shelled out way too much money to the cable company, plus extra for LP, I have to order the sports package if I want to watch the Rockets in the 1st round.

My bet is that if anyone else keeps up with other team forums, you'll find the same complaints. Why have we not pulled everyone together on this and demanded better service for our money? I know someone out there is good at getting their way and could help craft a letter to these stooges calling for it. Any takers?

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I did the week free trial and it was a piece of crap system. That's why I watch every game on ATDHE, ilemi, or channelsurfing

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Umm, I like NBA League Pass. Have had zero problems...

Might shoot myself without it.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I watched it last night too....the channel unavailable thing could be a weak signal.

DD

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

This this this this!

No LP issues up here in Denton.

6. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

NBA league pass broadband is great, you should check it out.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This, it's a signal issue man, not a LP issue.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Ditto

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i believe it depends on which carrier you are with. time warner doesn't dedicate enough channels for LP. if there are more games than channels at same time at one night occasionally, you might not be able to watch your favor team.

i live in austin area. i use dishnetwork. i don't have any problem to watch rox games through LP. i watched the game last nite. no problem at all. dishnetwork always use one tv feeder (either host or guest). most time, i watched the feeding from foxhouston.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree. NBA League Pass is half the price, and you can replay the game within an hour or so after the game is over. Now, when NBA League Pass is trumped by NBA-TV, you can order NBA-TV on Time-Warner a few minutes before the game and turn it back off a few minutes after the game. I do this all the time and the NBA-TV game costs me, on average, about 60 cents.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I use DirecTv. I can watch the Rox with Bill et al on Ch 678 (FSN).

12. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

I live in Wyoming and get League Pass on Dish. I am constantly PO'ed when they won't show games like Hou vs NO in NO. Why not? Somebody local bought up the rights! How should this affect LP about five states away?
    The other problem I have is that none of the Denver or Utah games are shown on my League Pass because I am in their "service area" so besides LP I have to buy the local Fox sports station if I want to see us beat up on either of those teams.
    I wrote the League office and they said they would "check into the matter". Guess what? I haven't heard anything back in about two months.
    The NBA...FANtastic!

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that's weird. you should be able to watch rox vs hornets game. it is what the LP is for.

14. white-lite

white-lite Member

if you have an Jailbroken iPhone league pass is free that's how I was watching the rockets game last year :grin:

15. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

why o why do they stick us with these garbage spurs games here in austin and still give us fox sports houston but then just black it out when the rockets games come on???? i have uverse this year and they show the games but they get blacked out and uverse does not offer league pass.

then my girlfriend who can only get grande at her apt does not offer league pass either. what a crock!!!! i have had league pass the pass 3 years in corpus on grande wtf happend??

i think in austin they should give you of choice of rockets or spurs, hell even the mavs if you like them...

very disappointing none the less.

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's one reason i've not switched over to universe yet.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

this year has been great, it all depends on your location and cable connection, my old apartment would fk up constantly, but i have not had more than 1 or 2 problems with the picture this year and every game has been available to me, unlike the previous 2 years i had lp

they need to start broadcasting them all in hd, when they show the timberwolves or other crappy teams it always seems like they have the worst picture quality

18. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

THE NBA Where not caring about Wyoming happens.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I concur. In fact with the HD package you get both broadcasts. For example, last night's game with the Wizards was carried on two channels: one with the Wizards' broadcast team and one with the Rockets' broadcast team. If the Channel Unavailable screen is on that means that the game is on NBA-TV or TNT.Plus you can still watch the game on FSN Houston if that broadcast is available. And unlike the NFL Sunday Ticket, the NBA does not charge extra for HD broadcasts.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It would be nice if DIRECTV labeled the 2 channels of the game by city so I can DVR the Houston broadcast ahead of time.