1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

burglary, need advice on door security ....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 16, 2009.

1. dafranchise0309

We had a problem sort of like this but instead of breaking into homes, they were breaking into our cars. I woke up one morning to get something out of my car and found a whole the size a of a grapefruit in my passenger window, but lucky they did not take anything because my alarm scared the thieves away. As precautionary measures my dad set up a flood light right above the driveway which would make it harder for a criminal to commit a crime when there is a huge light shining down on him. About 45 days later, the crooks came back and this time they got what they wanted. My sister parked in front of our house...after being told many times by my dad to ALWAYS park in the driveway, but she didn't listen. Thieves took her brand new in dash/touch screen head unit which she had for only 5 days...

My advice is to get your alarm and set up a surveillance system..there is only so much one can do... :rolleyes:

2. what

what Member

Yes, I was actually on vacation & my apartment complex notified me. You also cannot break your lease. The Apartment Lease Contracts these days explain something to the effect is all they have to do is provide a mininal amout of security, such as security officers on regular patrole, dead bolts, etc. If they've done that, you can't move without violating the terms of the lease.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

15 seconds? You are telling me he can get a huge HDTV in and out of the house in 15 seconds?

4. what

what Member

Yes. Actually it doesn't take that long. If you kick in the door, is 1 to 3 seconds tops. Big screen is 3 steps away, boom, unattach, lift and go. 15 seconds is generous. it could take less.

5. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I third the poster who says move. And not just out of your apt, out of Memphis. That place is a ****hole.

6. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

well I'm with the guys who say put in an alarm...i've read about 80% less burglary in an alarm home. not sure if this is accurate, but considering that even insurance companies give discounts on alarmed homes - and those companies study the hell out of statistics before giving discounts - i'm sure there is some truth to the fact.

you can buy DIY kits for less than $100 for your apartment

7. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

If you are only going to be there for 7 more months, I just wouldn't replace the TV until you move. Then, when you get the new one, don't put the box out for the trash advertising you just got a big, honking TV.

I have no specific advice here but you should follow a principle called Defense in Depth (or Depth of Defense). Basically it says that there is no one thing that will keep you secure (everything can be overcome somehow) so you stack a lot of small defensive things together which, in total, make it very difficult for you to be compromised.

So, make sure your exterior is well lighted, have a good lock, have an alarm, have a dog, motion sensor lights, make sure pricey things aren't visible through front windows, change your schedule up, get some web security cams, etc....

Sure, a burglar can break your door and an alarm won't stop that but it may prevent the guy from spending 20 minutes in your house. He may just grab the obvious and go.

Also, I have heard that it is not uncommon to be robbed and then re-robbed a few weeks/months later since the burglars know you probably got an insurance check and replaced all your stuff....

8. updawg

updawg Member

I would think being robbed twice in 7 months would be good enough to get out of a lease - if not, you are living in a ****hole.

If thats the case, then you need to be spending money on a better place, not tv's

9. what

what Member

How old are you? Have you ever signed a lease before? Look at one when you get the chance. Since you make an assumption on where I live, let me make one on your credit score, got a few non-paid credit cards don't you? But hey, it was free money and the CC companies are scum bags anyway right?

10. updawg

updawg Member

lol, what are you talking about?

I've had many a lease, but never at a place that was robbed luckily. If it was twice, I would me talking to mgt / finding a way out of that lease.

a lot of cities have a lease arbitration entity, see if you do and if they can help

Or suck it up for 7 more months. Its an apartment, you can't make too many changes, like installing alarms or constructing stuff.

But, I still think you can get out of that lease.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not if the TV is mounted. And chill out..people are just trying to give you suggestions.

My friend had his car and apt broken into and the apartment complex did allow him to break the lease without any penalty.

Btw, this doesn't just happen anywhere. For example, my friend that I just mentioned lived in the city (close to Westheimer and Voss)..I live in katy where crime is much lower. I know you aren't in Houston so I'm not sure where the safer areas are but I would do everything I could to get out of the lease.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

The people stealing from you very likely live in your same complex. That or they live very nearby.

Talk to your landlord. Tell him the situation. Tell him that you hope you could work this out without lawyers. You may be surprised. Contracts only mean as much as the judge hearing your case interprets them to mean.