1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls Paxson inquires about McGrady [Chicago Sun-Times]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I wonder what Darryl Morey told Paxon...
    I am posting this because there is evidence of an inquiry and not to clog the GARM with more T-Mac trade crap.

article link

Bulls need real coach, great player
    With stars like McGrady and Gasol possibly available, Bulls GM needs to make a deal — and find a bona fide coach while he’s at it

January 11, 2008
    BY JAY MARIOTTI Sun-Times Columnist

Day after day, brick after brick, blown lead after blown lead, the Bulls fade further from the Chicago mainstream. I'd rather watch the 10th-anniversary edition of the last championship team suit up -- Michael with a belly, Rodman in a thong, Pippen rippin' everyone -- than give any more time to this group of uninspired mopes. And truth be known?

If these Bulls played those Bulls, Jordan still would be the best player on the court at a cigar-smoking, lounge-lizarding, Charlotte-moonlighting 44.

[​IMG]
    Bulls general manager John Paxson reportedly has talked to the Rockets about Tracy McGrady (right), who drives past the Bulls' Luol Deng during a game last month. (John J. Kim/Sun-Times)

Consider it a shot at his old backcourt partner, John Paxson, who continues to sit idly when the laws of competition and show business demand that he do something dramatic to maintain a city's interest. When fans wait almost a decade for a flicker of hope, finally see it last spring, then watch the project regress into a demoralized and gutless blob, the general manager can't continue his conservative course and request more patience. Paxson must survey the NBA trade landscape, compile a short list of credible coaching candidates on his speed dial and gradually pump new blood into his limp franchise. If not, we're simply going to stop watching, and a lot of those faithful ticket-buyers through time will find better options for their disposable winter income. His credibility has been shredded everywhere, even by Charles Barkley, who obviously reads this column and blames Paxson's inactivity last summer for the problems.

``Ben Gordon takes a lot of tough shots and [Kirk] Hinrich is a short guy. I don’t think it was fair that Scott Skiles got fired,'' he said. ``The person that didn’t trade for Kevin Garnett last year should get fired. You have a chance to get Kevin Garnett and Pau Gasol, you [have] to make that trade. That’s the person who made a bad decision.''

To stem the criticism and point the plunging arrow upward again, Paxson can't afford to blow the two most important decisions of his executive career.

He needs to find a real coach.

He needs to find a compelling star.

And he should be searching now, not waiting for the summer, because as poorly as the Bulls have performed, they're only 3 1/2 games out of a playoff berth in the top-heavy, bottom-soft Eastern Conference.

It may have been a mistake to commit to the interim coach, Jim Boylan, for the rest of the season. You root for a guy like Boylan, a hoops lifer who paid his dues for a prime opportunity, but it's not fair to the paying customers that he's learning on the job. Tuesday, he admitted to several tactical mistakes in the fourth quarter after the Bulls gagged on a 13-point lead and lost -- again -- to the awful New York Knicks. Thursday, he sounded like a newcomer with rabbit ears who pays too much attention to what's being said. Is he in over his head? Remember, this is a man whose only prior head coaching experience was with a club team in Switzerland and at the University of New Hampshire, not exactly a March Madness mainstay.

``Whenever things go wrong and you lose a game like that, it's magnified,'' Boylan said at practice. ``Then, when you win some games, there's people who get enthusiastic about the wins, and then there's people saying, `Who are you playing, and you're not really beating the best teams.' I know, it's an old song. Everyone is saying I'm too positive; people want me to be negative. I'm gonna be myself. I'm gonna talk about things the way I see them.''

Rather than wait for Boylan to stop fretting about things he can't control, Paxson might want to find his next coach now. Most of us would love him to pursue America's next Olympic hero, Mike Krzyzewski, but face it: He's not leaving Duke and coming to his hometown team when he blew off the Los Angeles Lakers a few years ago. The buzz isn't accurate about the offseason availability of Boston's Doc Rivers, who is signed through next season. College coaches, even a terrific one like Michigan State's Tom Izzo, are pro crapshoots. And why hire a top league assistant when you're already giving a tryout to Boylan?

The pool is thin. But a sensible name that keeps surfacing is Jeff Van Gundy, an accomplished NBA coach who has dealt with every imaginable ego, knows how to handle pressure after coaching in New York and has a Finals appearance on his resume. I happen to like his work on ESPN, including the now-cultish commercial in which he yelps ``Whaaaaat?'' when he's supposed to be driving a bus. But he should be in the league, having been fired unfairly by a Houston team that look worse off with retread Rick Adelman. Rick Carlisle is another successful coach in the TV halfway house, but he is too similar to Skiles as a dictator whose voice eventually wears thin. Van Gundy won't be cheap, which brings us back to chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and his annoying reluctance to pay market value to coaches. But if Reinsdorf wants revenue from playoff games, he might want to make the Van Gundy investment now. As for anyone who actually thinks Scottie Pippen would make a good coach, think about this: What happens when a player doesn't want to enter a game?

``Get your (bleep) in there!'' Pippen will order.

``What did you say, Mr. 1.8 Seconds? I didn't hear you, Mr. Migraine Headache,'' the player will respond.

The trade deadline is Feb. 21. And how interesting that Tracy McGrady, who thrived under Van Gundy in Houston, is making noises that he's unhappy. Reports indicate Paxson has talked to the Rockets about McGrady, a legitimate superstar and scoring machine when healthy. Unfortunately, he's often unhealthy, having missed the last eight games with a strained tendon in his left knee. The joke around the league is that McGrady is ``half-man, half a season.'' The Rockets are 6-2 in the current stretch, prompting franchise center Yao Ming to say, ``The team has more confidence playing without T-Mac right now.''

Like Kobe Bryant, McGrady has a max contract -- two years and $44 million left. But packaged creatively to include Gordon and others, Paxson could make this deal within the framework of NBA trade rules. And if not McGrady, he still has a chance to acquire Gasol, the low-post scorer this team so painfully needs. The Bulls aren't wild about his toughness lapses, but they have to do something. Michael Heisley, the Chicagoan who owns the Grizzlies, didn't exactly shoot down Gasol talk when he told the Memphis media,``I live in Chicago, and all they talk about up there is getting Pau. So he must be pretty valuable. He's a great post guy. But by discussing him, I don't mean we're out there shopping them. If we trade one of our guys, we've got to get a lot back that's good.''

The patient strategy -- Standing Pax -- no longer works after 10 years. The GM has made too many errors and left the Bulls in a deep, jagged pothole. Either make the urgent shakeups or move aside for the Dynasty Reunion Tour.

#1 jsmee2000, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Another, 'gee rumors are McGrady is available, make a deal'.

Still, nothing with honest to goodness meat to the article. Nothing.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yeah, because the Rockets are just dying to trade one of the top overall talents in the league for a package centered around Ben Gordon, right?

I guess these "Trade T-Mac" threads really will never end.......

4. kidwai88

kidwai88 Member

if the bulls really do want tmac they better be trading deng, gordon, n some others wit some draft picks n some money too.

5. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I think this article confirms that the Bulls have contacted the Rockets. That's at least news worthy. But seriously, I don't think there's any package of players on that team we want. Even Luol Deng is terribly overrated. Ben Gordon is basically Luther Head, but he takes more shots. Heinrich has been terrible. Thomas is only ok. There's not a lot Chicago can offer us.

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

It's no surprise that Chicago is interested in McGrady who is one of the best players when's healthy!

It's really tragic that guy that is playing 4 seasons for us is being heavily shopped around with no logic.

Imagine if Tracy McGrady is traded, Yao is hurt then who is going to lead the team?

I mean who is leading the team right now?

Don't be fooled by these games, IT IS JUST EASY SCHEDUELE and now home games.

On the other hand, these rumors have no sense, OK you're stupid, you would trade T-Mac, but Daryl Morey isn't you!

Think, and just remember why we are in this position because of who?

Why did we even make playoffs last year?

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Trady McRiddy strikes again!

8. kwng

kwng Member

Poor Bulls! They have great history but now Celtics are coming back while they slumping back. I don't blame them, they are desperate and their ship are sinking real fast.

9. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong...I am all for NOT trading Tracy McGrady...

This is the first concrete written news of an inquiry though and not some fantasy rumor. What I think is funny is that probably all those fantasy rumors made Paxson call the Rockets to see if it is true. Or maybe GMs of teams that suck tend to just constantly be on the phone looking for a trade...who knows.

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

God damn it, next time McGrady should just shut his yap if he is unhappy and cause all the wrong damn rumours to come out. This sort of thing could unsettle the team and send the season plummeting.

11. apocclass

apocclass Member

dont you understand what is going on here ? the whole thing was fabricated by journalist sam smith to try and get the rockets to deal for their underachieving bulls, and sadly it almost worked. yea they contacted the rockets, AFTER this phoney story was conjured up and spread like wildfire. that is complete BS that t-mac told friends he would like to be traded.... how can people be this damn gullible ? IT DIDNT HAPPEN !!! the only thing that happened is they couldnt get kobe, the bulls and rockets were both struggling so this smith guy knew it would be easy to say t-mac is unhappy and wanted to be traded, hoping the rockets brass would think it was true and pull the trigger. we started out 6-1, mcgrady was having his best season as a rocket and you think after an injury and slump trying to adjust to a new offense we just wants to be traded ???? c'mon people, it doesnt take much to realize this story is BS

12. battousai

battousai Member

I think trading tmac will be unavoidable. maybe not this season, but next season or the summer tmac will be heavily discussed.

first magic said either tmac or yao has to go and hinted tmac is the one

second he express unhappiness

third morey no longer said tmac is untouchable, but rather we can't find equal value in return.

fourth chicago talking with houston, why the conversation? is it because morey would like to explore options with tmac too.

lastly, this team is playing much better AD style with Yao.

This current team without Tmac is not going to be better without tmac. that's for fact, however, if rockets willing to take a step back. we may be able to future a better team within a year or two.

tmac is going downhill at this point, rockets will gradually getting worst and worst. we just speed up the decay and rebuild.

I think a package of Deng plus filters for tmac would be something that chicago would do and consider.

deng
    wallace
    1st round draft for tmac.

wallace can be yao's backup and starting pf.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't know about you guys but this looks like some hard evidence that indicate that there were at least talks of T-mac and Chicago. How many people here said that was Rumor BS? We have how many cities talking about how Tracy is unhappy? Or that the Rockets are willing to see what kind of offers their are?

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I haven't read this thread, but we're not talented enuff to have Hayes and Wallace on tha same team. I dont want Wallace on this team. God, we already have enuff offensively challenged players on tha squad, especially at tha free throw line.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL- Imagine if they held on to Chandler and Brand....

DD

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I wish Tmac would come back sooner than later so the speculation can end.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not possible - they traded Brand for the 2001 #2 pick (which was Chandler).

However, if they had kept Brand, they might have been able to draft Chandler at #4 instead of Eddie Curry. But probably not.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

For those smart enough to be curious about who wrote this, it was Jay Mariotti. Not the greatest of writers, but one that isn't quick to write something unless it did have credible information prompting it. In other words, not Sam "Trade Machine" Smith.

Q: "Is Tracy McGrady unhappy in Houston?"
    Jonathon Feigen: "It's overblown"
    -->Notice it was not a denial.

I'm ready to move Tracy, provided it is a smart deal done with diligence.

Thorn #1: Don't let McGrady handcuff the negotiations with a list of acceptable destinations.
    This is rapidly becoming worse than the cap as far as restricting trades in the league. It's already tough enough finding a trade partner. It should be noted that Chicago is one of the places he strongly considered vs Orlando when he was a Raptor FA. They're also a near-contender and it would be easier for him to get the playoff monkey off his back in the East.

Thorn #2: Getting 50 cents on the dollar.
    You can't get equal value for upper-level All Stars, no one says "what the heck, I'll swap you Duncan for Dirk and we'll see what happens." Any change in your stars is a gamble and no one wants to be on the wrong side of a bust. The best you could reasonably hope for is one tier down: a Marion, a Joe Johnson, etc.
    Instead, you need to decide what is the clearer path to getting you further along as a team: rolling the dice that younger guys will turn into studs down the road, or rolling the dice that lesser players that compliment the team better will do the trick. Or a mixture.

The last few years a major subject we've wrestled with is whether this should be Yao's team or McGrady's. The ideal situation would have been the two blending their games to where they were a one-two punch that could terrorize the league. Unfortunately, I haven't seen evidence of that happening. Typically, one or the other takes over or one of them is injured. We can win behind either one, but the two haven't really made each other better by being on the court at the same time.

In my opinion, the best route to go if we move McGrady would be to focus on guys that could make teh game easier for Yao and/or feed off his game. Sharpshooters are one obvious target, and everyone is clamoring for a PG upgrade. Hinrich and Gordon could fill the bill nicely. If Deng was a deal-breaker in the Kobe talks, you can best believe the same will be true here. Include Nocioni, and we've got a nice crew to put around Yao.

Yao
    Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Nocioni
    Gordon/Bonzi/Head
    Hinrich/Rafer

Evan

19. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

The same people Who used to step up when Dream Got injured?

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Although I am not keen on trading T-Mc to Chicago, the trade works better with Hayes tossed in to even out the number contracts -- two players for two players + their 2008 first rounder (preferably unprotected but I'd accept a top 3 protected).