1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bulls.com/Sam Smith] T-Mac takes his spot on the NBA Trading Block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 4, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock if necessary, thanks.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_100104.html

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Good read, nothing in there I havent heard before though in terms of trade scenerios. Geez, this gets more interesting by the day. When will the saga end?

3. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does it seem like writers say things like we only have a few teams interested, and then they list like 8 teams with possible deals?

I know they're just speculating, but I'm just saying...

4. RedRowdy111

Yeah that seems to be the flow of articles coming in. We get hit with, "Mcgrady could gain little attention", and then the next day, they talk about us getting Iggy or Caron, followed by a " Houston could just do a sign and trade in the summer". WTH?

The Rockets have always played their cards close. I have said it all along, we aint doing jack untill Feb. Our team is winning games we shouldnt on paper. We are on the verge of finally having a good home stretch of games. They are going to let the team before us battle it out untill the deadline, and then make a spash....well unless they are hit with a mega deal they couldnt turn down.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Beezy!;)

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha I saw that too. That'd be somewhat intriguing but not sure if there would be room for him here.

7. Asian Sensation

Sam Smith T-mac article. It must be that time of the year again.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt this would happen, but the board would have a bunch of pryuens back.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You know, of all the deals that Sam Smith threw out there, I think the one that Morey would be most likely to make (hypothetically, of course) would actually be the first trade idea that he, himself, came up with.

Getting Javale McGee and expiring contracts in exchange for McGrady is EXACTLY the kind of package that Morey is looking for, unless he can somehow get a guy like Kevin Martin without having to take on other long term contracts (a Martin/Thomas package would be amazing but unrealistic). Sure, it would be nice to get an Anthony Randolph, but GSW doesn't have the expiring contracts to pair with him, nor would the Warriors even be interested in giving up Randolph without being able to dump some lousy contracts.

Just saying. If there are no "bowl you over" trade offers on the table come February 18, I would be quite pleased if Morey could pull off a McGee + expirings for McGrady deal. That would provide the team with a shot-blocking presence and long-term backup to Yao, along with keeping the Rockets' salary cap flexibility fairly open.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has looked pretty good lately, can they throw in Brook Lopez?

;)

DD

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Yi would be a role player if he ever came here. Basically Matt Bullard.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he needs to stay somewhere like NJersey where he can grow as a player for a bit.

DD

13. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i took a break from clutchfans because of all the insanity about tracy, and i have to say it's nice to come back to a world that finally makes sense.

now you all KNOW that the team has no interest in keeping him. thank god for that. now there will be no more threads about tracy being some kind of savior and you can focus on his only real value as an expiring contract.

i thought the rockets did him a huge favor by playing him in that 7 minute cameo role. they didn't need to do that, and it only reinforced the fact that he is a shell of his pre-surgery self, and a mere shadow of what he was at his peak. it probably hurt his value to do this, but i'm guessing they did it to appease tracy. now he's gone for good as a rocket, and the only remaining question is whether the rockets can do better with his contract than simply let it expire.

nonetheless, reading all these headlines about trading tracy mcgrady makes me smile. i have been waiting for this time for years.

the worst part about this whole situation is that morey should have moved tracy years ago. imagine what this team could have been. oh well, better late than never.

14. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

more like that time of the month.

15. RedRowdy111

Thats it, nuff said. Bima is by a mile the most realistic poster on the board, and my new fav.

16. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Naah.. we would be called 风扇离合器

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sam smith is just as clueless as steven a. smith, only without all the yelling and cheeze doodles

18. RedRowdy111

:grin: I agree :grin:

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What's Washington's motivation for doing this though if they are only giving expiring contracts and not dumping anyone?

I am thinking that in order to get a "young talent," the Rockets will have to take on at least one somewhat bad contract expiring in 2011 (i.e. a Salmons or Jefferies, not a real albatross like Arenas or Maggette).

A more realistic "baseline" scenario (i.e. one that both teams should be motivated to do, and one that the Rockets would pursue if, as expected, no team threw them a fastball down the middle fo the plate) would seem to be something more like a Salmons + Brad Miller + Bulls First Round Pick with some protection (I believe they actually the 7th seed in the East if Playoffs started today, the suckiness of the East!).

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

if we cant get an all star in return from the wizards like say, and caron butler, then at least give the rockets andraey blatche to go along with mcgee.