1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building the Perfect Power Forward Next to Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 30, 2010.

?

PICK 4: What are the 4 most important traits in a PF starting next to Yao Ming?

1. Height/Size

293 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Speed/Athleticism

405 vote(s)
    62.4%
  3. Position Versatility: Ability to play both PF and Center

219 vote(s)
    33.7%
  4. Terrific shooting range (Ability to pull defenders away from post)

401 vote(s)
    61.8%
  5. Terrific post scorer (Back-to-the-basket game)

65 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Terrific rebounder

407 vote(s)
    62.7%
  7. Terrific shotblocker

270 vote(s)
    41.6%
  8. Terrific passer

93 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Terrific post defender (one-on-one defense on PFs)

246 vote(s)
    37.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In the past I've always felt that we had a good idea of what was next for the Rockets, that we knew what they needed to add. This offseason is a bigger mystery to me. With Yao coming back, the Rockets are a strange mix of halfcourt/strong defense types along with sleek, efficient scorers that are matador defenders in a slowdown game.

Still, you would think the Rockets go into this offseason looking to upgrade the PF and/or SF slots, and could "maybe" even consider something at PG, depending on what comes up.

So with all due respect to Luis Scola (who I think fits in a lot of ways), if you're looking at the PF spot, what are you looking for? Past or present, who is the perfect power forward to put next to Yao Ming? What are the most important traits that this PF has to have to be the ideal fit next to Yao?

If you were to pick the four most important traits of the Rockets starting power forward for 2010-11, what would they be from the list below?

Height/Size
    One thing that has been consistent about the Rockets power forwards since Yao Ming came on board: They're undersized. A guy pushing 7-feet could add a lot.
    Examples: Kevin Garnett

Speed/Athleticism
    Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza... the rest of the Rockets lineup seems to be designed with running in mind.
    Examples: Chris Bosh

Position Versatility: Ability to play both PF and Center
    First, Yao almost assuredly will see decreased minutes this coming season. The wear and tear of playing 35+ minutes a night combined with being engaged in international hoops in the offseason has taken a toll. So there will be available minutes at the center spot. Secondly, the Rockets can't be held hostage by Yao's health any longer. Similar to previous seasons where they were able to switch styles by plugging in Dikembe Mutombo and still succeed, the Rockets need someone who can excel for them on at least one side of the ball when Yao is out.
    Examples: Amare Stoudemire

Terrific shooting range (Ability to pull defenders away from post)
    If Yao's bread and butter is in the post, you would think having a PF at 15-18 feet who can knock down the mid-range shot would either unclog the lane for Yao or become easy money on Yao kickouts.
    Examples: Karl Malone, later in his career

Terrific post scorer (Back-to-the-basket game)
    On the flip side, Yao has a terrific mid-range game. Does playing Yao more at the high post and combining him with a guy who can operate down low make more sense?
    Examples: Charles Barkley

Terrific rebounder
    Yao is a good but not great rebounder, but I think he's really good for his size (people think because he's 7-6 he should be getting 15+ boards a night, but his size actually limits his mobility). Would having a glass cleaner next to him be one of the most valuable traits?
    Examples: Dennis Rodman

Terrific shotblocker
    Yao is a decent shotblocker, but it's really more of his "big" presence in the paint that has more of an impact defensively as he alters a lot of shots. Adding a weakside shotblocker could make the Rockets' interior defense near impenetrable.
    Examples: Marcus Camby

Terrific passer
    Among the starters, there is not currently a traditional point or a high-assist guy to be found. Point forward, anyone? OK maybe not, but how critical are outstanding passing skills?
    Examples: Chris Webber

Terrific post defender (one-on-one defense on PFs and possibly Cs)
    It's hard to say who will be on what team next year, but the West has its share of dangerous PFs (Duncan, Jefferson, Boozer, Gasol, Stoudemire, K. Martin, Aldridge, Randolph, possibly Blake Griffin).
    Examples: Chuck Hayes, former Rocket Otis Thorpe

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I picked

Height/Size
    Speed/Athleticism
    Terrific rebounder
    Terrific post defender

I think this underscores one thing... just how incredibly versatile Yao is. I mean we already knew it. But the great thing is, we can take a good post-up PF and play Yao at the high post as a jump shooter. We can take a shooting PF and play Yao in the low post.

I think height and size are enough to be a presence with Yao to not require an elite shotblocker.

Rebounding is absolutely key given Yao's still limited mobility with the quick hops and all (I think most of us know what he is and isn't good at in rebounding)

If you give me height, quickness, and post defense.. I think you have a taller Chuck Hayes. Basically a guy who can play the pick and roll and who can play the post as needed. It'd be much harder to hurt Yao with a single matchup.

I think the passing isn't necessary. We have guys off the bench who can run the high post plays to perfection. I'm sure these others can run it at least as well as Scola/Hill/etc.

#2 kaleidosky, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

I would have to say a very good rebounder and with good size like ROdman.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I would say Dwight Howard...

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I voted for the ability to play both center and power foward, shooting range, rebounder, and shot blocker. I believe all of those are self explanitory if ya ll have seen Yao play.

6. Guru

Guru Member

All those qualities in one player = Hakeem Olajuwon!

Man, the good old days... :(

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Need a combination of a weakside shotblocker, a mid-range jumper and an athlete next to the slow footed Yao. Oh, forgot to add high motor.

#7 jump shooter, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. joesr

joesr Member

Shooting range to spread the court and either stop the doubling or give up the easy basket is priority with meh.

but also added weak side blocker and hieght to the mix.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

oddly we had a bunch of those qualities in a guy that did play PF next to Yao

[​IMG]

but seriously if i had to choose:

height/size
    speed athleticism
    shooting range
    rebounder
    passer

oddly enough i would believe that lamar odom would have been a good cheaper option (compared to the amare/bosh scenarios) to have next to Yao of course consistency has always been odom's issue not ability/talent

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Antawn Jamison wouldn't be a bad complement to Yao. (shooting range, length, rebounding)

Or Luis Scola with more athleticism and three point range. Although he would probably be the best PF in the league if that were the case.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my four choices were speed/athleticism, shooting range, rebounder, shotblocker.

a hybrid of bosh, malone, rodman, and camby :grin:

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I, honestly, would love a Charles Oakley/Otis Thrope type PF next to a healthy Yao. A tough, physical brute who can score while being the enforcer of the team. If Yao is not the same player he was before give me a long/athletic Chris Webber type that can play the high post and provide scoring in the Adelman system.

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I picked

Speed/Athleticism
    Great Rebounder
    Height/Size
    Outside shooter

It is going to be tough to get a top tier PF this season, there are choices, but with those choices are the risks involved, especially Amare or even Boozer.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A better rebounding Robert Horry.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hey, he a a PF playing out of position... at least that's what they thought when he first got drafted and played. ;)

I'd say Chris Bosh is the only current players that fits the system we plan on having overall, run & gun with the ability to post up and get buckets in the halfcourt. A terrific passer, with length and athleticism, fantastic shooter, and can run like a gazelle(sp?) as most put. IMO

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Rebounder, back to the basket scorer, with a mid range touch, and good passing.

But I'm happy with scola

17. redao

redao Member

God or how about building a winning team around that perfect PF?

18. skamal4484

skamal4484 Contributing Member

The perfect power forward next to Yao? Rasheed Wallace in the early 00's.

Could shoot, had size, defense (good weakside shotblocker and man-to-man), high basketball IQ, could play spot minutes at center.

He had great post-up game when he wanted to, so that would be ideal since Yao (when healthy of course) usually is on the block. He could post up when Yao was on the bench, keeping him fresh.

His fire and tenacity would've been nice too, now its just sad seeing him play. He's fat, lost all his athleticism, and his attitude and inability to adjust to his diminished skills is just killing him and Boston.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I say Speed/Athleticism. Hill is a perfect fit to Yao if Yao can play long enough to wait Hill to be developed. Chis Bosh is another example if we need win right now.

20. LifeisButaDream

This is a cleverly disguised Hill should start next season thread ;)