1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Weird to me that OKC/ORL are being portrayed a tight lipped and Houston portayed as tipping hand. Media bias I guess.

TriumVirate and Drift Monkey like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

what? You don t remember last year when everyone had Scottie Barnes at 3, Giddy at 6 and Primo at 12 well before the draft?!?!? Lol.

3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Stone watched this early on and made his choice. Just hope he's there at 3. Him and green will be great for young and older fans. I get the championship aspirations but I like exciting ball also.

Drift Monkey and Fulgore like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

It’s always a good thing to have a guy in his mid 20’s that knows nothing about basketball and is a product on nepotism making basketball and roster decisions.

I guess Patrick can be Paolo’s driver we he goes around Houston trying to slam hoes.

D-rock, fryjol7, BigM and 7 others like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

at least Patrick likes basketball and seems eager to learn…Tilman’s 10x worse than his son

TriumVirate, Drift Monkey and Nook like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Come on bro, give him a chance.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not writing him off or saying he won’t get good at his job… the owners son in Denver ended up proving to be very good.

However when you break it down… it doesn’t sound promising. At least he likes basketball and is ambitious.

So maybe it works but I’m not betting money on it or dwelling on it.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I have nothing bad to say about Patrick…I know for damn sure if my dad was owner of the Rockets I’d be just like him following Morey around picking his brain and trying to be in the room when decisions are being made if for nothing more than to just listen to what’s being said and learn

His dad on the other hand?

[​IMG]

Patrick can be molded and shown the ropes…Tilman is a lost cause

D-rock, jiggyfly, TriumVirate and 3 others like this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

I was thinking historically odds are most of these top 10 will be not necessarily busts but nothing more than role players. I wonder what the odds are all top 5 hit bc that seems really low as well like 2 of the top 5 might end up all stars only but last year was a rare year where it seems the top 4 are all sure shot future stars. #3 is historically kind to teams though.

11. liveguy

liveguy Member

People setting themselves up for disappointment.

Any one of the 3 is a go…

Constantly harping on Paolo only to be mad if he gets taken pick 2…well…if that’s you, you did it to yourself.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Hype yourself for Paolo or chet cause that's the only two player I see dropping to the 3rd spot

D-rock likes this.
  13. liveguy

liveguy Member

And real talk…

Assuming it ends up going Smith then Banchero….if the Rox take Ivey, that might be the move.

Trade KPJ and set up having (potentially) the best young backcourt in the Association.

But if you think KPJ is a keeper piece, take Holmgren…however you slice it, i’m good with it.

Obviously Banchero is the optimal pick at 3, but the Top 4 players are all solid.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Playoff Banchero is going to be something else.

Drift Monkey, Bo6, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I've been wanting this guy since the tournament, and everything I see / hear about him confirms it for me. I'm going to be terribly disappointed if we don't get him. I'd be happy if we got Smith instead, but I still believe (I predicted this when we got the pick) that we'll get Chet. I'll support him like any other player we have, but I'd be disappointed.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I love guys who wake up the morning of a big game and mentally prepare to show up and dominate. Playing your best in the clutch vs elite competition is what separates good from great. Paolo is far and away the best player and my preference in this draft similar to what Jalen Green was last year, but I can see a path to contention with the other guys mentioned. Part of me is preparing for Paolo to not be available at 3. The other part of me is kind of hoping Stone would move up to secure him!

jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Agreed on all points. That's what I saw during the tournament more than anything, he's a gamer. There's a lot of players with all the talent in the world that don't have killer instinct, this guy has the it factor. I also feel like he's got a variety of moves that will prevent him being an easy player to defend.

I worry about his potential fit with Sengun, but that's a problem you figure out later. I think with their ability to pass you can make the 2 work together somehow. In any case Paolo is a fantastic fit with Green.

18. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

im happy if we end up with any of the top 3. Paolos is the one I like less of them, love that he is a scorer, hate that he does not seem interested in defense.

Please, let's be mature and not pretend this is a wing scorer and a defender. He may be good and we all want him to be great, we just have to set expectations here, history is not kind with this kind of players.

cmoak1982, Rudyc281 and liveguy like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just a reminder of how blessed/lucky this team has been so far:

Had almost a 50% chance of not even keeping our top pick in 2021
    Had almost a 50% chance of dropping all the way down to #5 in 2022

Drift Monkey, Bo6, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

And we will be even more lucky when we get #1 next year and draft Victor Wembanyama.