1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. mario_v

mario_v Member

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

From Rashard Lewis to KD

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Similar to Julius Randle to Lebron James

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

These guys are just tired of the draft cycle and are choking on their own fumes.

The concerns about Sengun and Banchero being the defensive duo in a playoff series ate legit but anyone whos watched Banchero should pretty clearly see a stud.

jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

KD can shoot it from anywhere on the court self created at an elite level…it’s unfair to Jabari to mention KD

JayZ750 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Jabari gets hype as the next KD or 6'10 Klay, Chet gets labeled as a unicorn that we never seen before, then the media gets to Pablo and it's just he is there and exist... Until the rockets start winning the media will never hype or care about our players.

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Nice flashback to the time when Memphis, led by current Houston Rockets director of scouting Chris Wallace, pulled out of a 3-way deal that would have landed them Kelly Oubre for Mar'Shon Brooks and Wayne Selden, a seeming steal of a deal that was only complicated by the fact that both other trade partners thought they were trading Dillon Brooks. And considering that Ernie Grunfeld and Chris Wallace both lost their jobs after the season, such a fiasco definitely brings a reputational loss...

Interesting to see that this was not that uncommon in the early 2000s; it's a bit amusing to me to think about these highly paid GMs acting exactly like the caricatures in "Moneyball", and randomly tinkering with protections or extra assets like the most annoying guy in your fantasy league...

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  9. Chamillionaire

A 6'10 Paul Pierce seems like a good ceiling. I can't believe we're gonna end up with Green & Banchero.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

TM—Tim MacMahon
    TB—Tim Bontemps
    BW—Brian Windhorst

TM: Magic have not had Banchero in to this point.

TM: It’d be a surprise if it’s not Jabari to Orlando, Chet to OKC, Paolo to Houston

TM: I’ve read about the Rockets maybe being enough in love with Banchero to trade up. That would shock me. The way they look at this, they got the 3rd pick, there’s 3 guys they consider stars in this draft and they’ll take whoever’s left.

TM: Tilman is not that hands on. Patrick is.

How sure are we the Thunder are going with Holmgren?

TB: Chet is the perfect fit and would be stunned if they don’t pick him.

BW: There’s rumblings about the Thunder wanting to move up from 12.

TM: With the Thunder, I’ve heard was they might be high on Ivey but take him at 2? You hear so much right now. Holmgren is the most fascinating prospect. If he weighed 220, there’d be no questions.

TM: An interesting comp is Draymond Green. The exec I was talking to who came up with the comp, beside physique, the one question is will he ever be a primary scorer? They didn’t know but said he’s going to be an impact guy as a defensive presence. They felt his floor would be an extremely high level role player and talked to someone in Holmgren’s comp who said I like that comp but we also think he has some Brandon Ingram. (BW: I’ve heard that)

TM: Stone has made no bones he’s going to swing for upside. Last year, Green vs Mobley. He felt the ceiling was higher for Green. Banchero, the upside is high. He is probably most ready to be a primary offensive guy coming in.

TB: He’s going to be my ROY.

TM: He’s a guy they think might be a perennial all-star, 25+ PPG, maybe a less athletic, better shooting version of young Blake Griffin would be a comp. 6’10, can put in the floor, score…

TB: I’ve heard some Ben Simmons comps as well. Not the defensive player but similar offensive game.

BW: That’s what I want. Ben Simmons offensive comps. That’s who I’d pick. (LOL dripping with sarcasm)

TB: 6’10 guy who can run point. He’s a better shooter than Ben.

TM: Simmons did win ROY. The questions with Banchero is yes, he can be a primary offensive scorer but can he be efficient.

TB: And can he guard anyone.

TM: And can he be a part of quality defense, a defense you need to be a contender. I’ve heard people say “Oh Banchero came in for a visit and then they traded Wood.” That timing was coincidental. You know when they traded Christian Wood? When someone offered a pick. They tried to trade him before the deadline. No one offered a pick. They had no picks, not even a 2nd round pick, on the table. Mavs came up with a deal that makes sense for both sides. …

BW: There’s been rumors about teams interested in Eric Gordon. I’ve heard Philadelphia and Phoenix. Philadelphia I heard offered something around the 23rd pick. I’ve heard Houston is not interested in another pick in this draft. They got 3, they don’t want 4.

TM: Houston, they are absolutely certain that they can get a 1st round pick for Eric Gordon. I’ve got information that they have choices on the table right now. Perhaps they’d prefer a future first rounder. They value Gordon as a role model, his professionalism. Spaces the floor, doesn’t need the ball in his hands. He can also help a bunch of playoff teams. Can still guard.

BW: Good contract. 2 years left, 1 year team option, not fully guaranteed.

TM: I talked to Gordon when I was down in Houston. Essentially he said, they could guarantee his (2023-24) $20.9M salary next year bare minimum if he’s on the roster he wants that to happen. He told me he likes being in Houston, he’s happy there but he said we’ll see what kind of commitment the Rockets want to give me. It’s up to them. He’s not extension eligible until ?September? 3rd. “So it sounds like you want an extension if you’re going to be in Houston?” He said it’s going to have to be something like that. It’s a tough situation. When you do a rebuild, it’s a long term type thing. If it’s a long term plan for those young guys, I have to know there’s a long term plan for me too. It makes sense for everyone. Whether it’s before this draft or before the season, the Rockets need to cash in that Eric Gordon chip, get a 1st and give him a chance to be on a playoff team.

Brian Windhorst: We’re talking to Brogdon to Washington and Brogdon to New York. Another scenario I’ve heard is Brogdon to Sacramento in a deal to swap the 4 & 6. That’d enable Indiana to get off money and take Ivey, who is a big local name which would sell tickets and a running mate to Haliburton.

Tim MacMahon: Portland is a strong possibility to move that pick.

BW: My latest intel is Portland is now interested in keeping the pick. Jonathan Givony has them looking at Shaedon Sharpe.

BW: Another thing we’re hearing is keep an eye on Charlotte. They have 13 & 15 and a roster that expensive and about to get more expensive with Miles Bridges as a FA. He’s looking for a max contract. I do think there are teams with cap space who may give an offer sheet. Detroit, possibly San Antonio, Indiana if they can clear space. I can’t see Charlotte letting him walk. I can see them trying to play hard ball with a max. They have to prepare for their payroll to go up. It wouldn’t surprise me, people are telling me, Charlotte is having conversations about using that pick with one of the players to reduce salary. There’s been a number of names floated out who that player could be. Could it be Rozier or Hayward. Let me give you an example. Hayward and the 13th pick and made an offer for a player like Jerami Grant. I would be surprised if Charlotte drafts at both 13 and 15. If they do a move, part of it will be to reduce salary.

#1871 J.R., Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Patrick being more hands on than Tilman is a good thing I guess

D-rock likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Thanks for this. Paolo already a someone’s ROY and being billed already as a 25+PPG guy is insane

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

They said the same thing about green and we saw how that turn out.

Drift Monkey and zeeshan2 like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

someone check on @D-rock right now
    [​IMG]

D-rock, jiggyfly and Drift Monkey like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Holmgren was the focus for Presti/OKC all along. — Woj

They’re locked in on Banchero in Houston. — Woj

D-rock and red5rocket like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. larsv8