1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Neither look is bad given they're both in the finals! However, we have to add more defense to help us get to that level, but I like how you're thinking. So you believe there is no chance Chet falls to #3?

D-rock likes this.
  2. Tadow

Tadow Member

I didn't see too much of that out of Paolo either. Admittedly i didn't whole lot of it

3. MystikArkitect

I guess there's always a chance. I can't see the Thunder drafting Paolo (and I really do think Paolo doesn't want to go there). The Magic could in theory draft Paolo and then the Thunder take Jabari which would drop Chet to the Rockets. In the scenario that the Thunder take Ivey and the Rockets are left with Chet/Paolo I think they'd draft Chet for fit. I wouldn't mind it but still prefer Paolo.

We'll see how things pan out but if the Magic pass on Paolo I think the immediate returns will be bad for that fanbase. And unlike Green last year, neither Jabari nor Chet will offer what Paolo does in year 1 (or year 2). Going to be 3-4 years probably though I don't think Jabari will ever have the offensive game Paolo does. Chet is just such a wildcard. He could be Dirk-lite on offense and a menace on D. He could also just be a total stiff that makes your whole offense awkward (like he did a lot at Gonzaga).

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who is Smart on the Rockets in your Brown-Tatum-Smart model?

Heck is Horford or Timelord for that matter?

And I assume Green is Steph in your Steph-Klay (-Draymond-Poole?) model.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not only does he show great vision, but those passes were right on the money and with great touch, which is why he reminded me of Lebron.

Yeah, I said it!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, I didn't see the comparison but looking at that video it's a wow moment.

Tatum is just longer and seems to be more slippery.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

Could Josh Christopher develop into a Marcus Smart type impact player? Stone has consistently envisioned his role as a Jrue Holiday. The way I see it, with KPJ's off ball success and his on ball leaving a lot to be desired, I'd think as currently constructed Green and KPJ would be Steph and Klay. You need a playmaking forward to unlock them and that would be Paolo. Their numbers with and without Draymond is quite significant. It can be argued that Jabari could play an Al Horford role but keep in mind, Al Horford wasn't always a 3 point sniper. It took him 8-9 years in the league to even attempt 1 3 point shot a game. That is why I am adamant that it is a skill that can be learned. I still have yet to find a player who has developed the skillset Paolo has over the course of their NBA career. At this point in time Usman Garuba is already a better shooter from 3 than Horford was as a rookie. Maybe in time he can provide some of the things those front court guys are giving to Boston either with his switchable defense or rim protection or improved shooting over the course of his career. Still hoping we can get a legit defensive big. Would love Mark Williams. If we made a trade with the Hornets and Duren was still on the board, even better imo. Also important to remember that Boston signed Horford in free agency numerous times. We dont have to draft every role player and if we have enough in place, the role players will follow. The pull of star power is a very real thing in free agency.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Spooner

Spooner Member

Granted KPJ - Paolo is the opposite of Klay - Green on defense at this point and defense is a big component of the greatness of Klay and Draymond and the Warriors succes. I’m not sure it would work. KPJ will likely never have trade value that we feel would be adequate. He could still be utilized off ball in a bench role. My hope is that as the team gets more of a clear direction, he takes a 6th man role or he can continue playing hero ball for the Shanghai Sharks.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jaygup ceiling is Jrue, just not even close defensively at this time.

But even Jrue is not Smart level defender.

Rockets may have to create their own model because Green-KPJ-Banchero is nowhere close to Steph-Klay-Draymond, their play styles are just so dissimilar.

With some great defensive coaching, the Celts model may be the more achievable for current Rockets players and anticipated picks.

Green < Brown
    *Banchero < Tatum
    *Eason < Smart

Need to find our versions of Horford, Timelord, Grant Williams and Udoka.

Sengun & KPJ are either trade bait, rotation players or improve to be similar or better players to above.

*Anticipated 2022 draft picks

18pbr likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Member

I've always been of the belief that originality works better than imitation. That isn't to say we shouldn't look to other teams for what works and doesn't work, but I wouldn't want to build a team strictly on imitating something we'll never truly have. Golden State had success as a dynasty not because they imitated the status quo but because they took the league by surprise with originality. Now we have an emphasis on switchable defense even more as a reaction to the way they play. The NBA is constantly changing and we always look to the victors to dictate the best way to play. Those victors however more often than not, got where they are with an original game plan that caters best to their personnel. My sincere hope is that Stone learns from history but instead of conforming to that history, tries to innovate. If we truly want a dynasty we need to think like innovators.

I like Green quite a bit but its important not to view him with rose colored glasses. He could be a scoring champ in time but I'm doubtful he will ever be James Harden as a playmaker. To me he's more of a hyper athletic scorer than anything else and I have more faith in his defense improving than his playmaking ability. I think he will get better in this regard but he needs to come a long way and his game feel leaves a lot to be desired in this department. I am intrigued by pairing him with a forward who can be an engine on offense. Green can put a lot of pressure on a defense with his speed and Banchero in a faster paced system can put a lot of pressure on a defense going down hill at 6'10 250. It is well known Green has always been best suited as an off-ball guard. Whether we hold onto KPJ or not, this seems to be the case with him as well and I think forcing him out of his natural position and expecting him to be a point guard isn't ideal. Maybe he can be Jordan Clarkson for us. The fast twitch ability to score in Green and the methodical scoring and playmaking from Banchero could be an ideal fit. People think Cade and Ivy are a good fit for that very reason. I'd want to do everything I could to explore that angle and build an original concept that could fit these two guys to a T.

Most teams wouldn't have the luxury to do this if they were to draft Banchero, but the Rockets are really in such a unique position with very little in place. I feel we'd give him more of a chance than most teams could at becoming who he needs to be. I really like the fit. Jrue isn't Smart on defense, but between the two I'd rather have Jrue :) Let's hope JC can be at least half of one of those guys. I hope the Rockets prioritize him over KPJ.

ilias and D-rock like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i honestly think Paolo is the better prospect at the same age. Bear in mind some of that is just profession of the sport. Paolo has seen Tatum and has specifically said he’s modeled his game after him. And Paolo is bigger. And there can be the downside of that being too big or slow for SF… but to me there’s the upside of that he’s bigger. His inside game is better. His passing is more advanced. All compared to Tatum at Duke. And it’s nice to worry about defense and VERY valid… but Tatum wasn’t exactly a lock down defender in Duke either.

A good 65% of my preference for Paolo does rely on this ability for him to be Tatum like but also a bit Randle/Blake like but immediately day one much better bball iq, ballhandling and passing. I think the nba openness and speed will benefit him a lot.

but I could be wrong. He just looks exactly like a Tatum in the way he plays to me ….

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope one day Josh Christopher can be at least half of what KPJ is. He'd be a very solid backup if he improves that much.

Spooner and D-rock like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Chet still my guy.

Should try and swap picks with Orlando.

ilias and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love an innovative HC and GM like Rockets had under D'Antoni and Morey.

Love them or hate them, there is no doubt that both were constantly tweaking roster and system to gain an edge. Morey's analytics team was the best in NBA at one time and he was a notoriously shrewd and creative with player trades.

But neither Silas or Stone are innovators. Stone is using essentially same system template and/or player profiles from previous FO. Silas has admitted to immersive study of teams in this postseason for better understanding of successful defense. Neither Silas or Stone have proven any special ability to adapt on the fly.

The likelihood of Rockets creating a new model by accident (unlikely) or improve upon an existing successful postseason team model (more likely) - I'd lay grester odds on the latter.

To do so, Rockets will need luck and/or chemistry with existing players, FO and coaching staff.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat but there is only one way with max efficiency.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah, I'd love to go back to inefficient step back 3's and a gimmick offense... "GSW have two of the best 3pt shooters of all time so lets do what they do but moar" -Morey at some point probably.....

Hopefully Rocket don't ever have anything like those two frauds.... Never done anything in how many years?

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

If he's half the backup that KPJ is next season then he's on the right track.

17. Spooner

Spooner Member

Sadly this is probably truth. And you didn't even mention the guy who owns it. I'd still like to see what they can do. For the most part I've liked Stone so far. He hasn't made any terrible deals that affect our future, but Morey is a visionary. Same with D'Antoni. I want highest IQ players possible and an established coach. Not too soon though because Rockets chemistry seems positive and there are too many hot heads on the team to fire Silas too quickly. Let's hope stone does well in the draft. If he can repeat the impact we got from last year's draft it would be a good start.

D-rock likes this.
  18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Paolo moves like a SF and has the prototypical body of a 4. He also kinda reminds me of a more agile Christian Wood that can (and likes to) pass. Hopefully he tries more on D on the NBA level…

If he had shot 38% on his threes I believe he would be talked as the clear #1 prospect this season. And with his shooting form I do believe he can reach that percentage. I just hope he is a gym rat like Green!

D-rock, jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I have read that he’s a gym rat big time !!

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member