1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. monster

monster Member

May not be a popular opinion, but I have a feeling Chet will be available at 3. I don’t know how infeel about this, but I won’t be unhappy w any of the top 3. Pick 17 is exciting to me, and I’d love to see us package Wood/Gordon/17 to move up or make some other nice. I know we need size and a solid wing, but I’d love to get a natural PG. He doesn’t have to be a superstar PG, but a floor general. The tough seasons aren’t over just yet, but they’re starting to pay off.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

???

You quoted a post about next year’s lineup and said this:

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What are the redundant weaknesses between the two? I'm not seeing it...

If it's "defense" in general, I think that is an unfair thing to say. Sengun was learning the differences in his two leagues last year, and Banchero seems to show the physical traits that would lead to him becoming a plus defender, if he wants to expend the effort.

Sengun's weakness is lateral quickness and explosion. If you think that's Paolo's weakness, well, I'm not seeing it.

Nelly, ajc123, Yung-T and 6 others like this.
  5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Is Sengun a finished product already after 1 year? Is Banchero a finished product before he even gets in the league? All this talk about fit and who can and can’t play together seems a bit premature to me. These guys are pros and they all look like they will work on their games and develop.

ajc123, darksoul35, Deckard and 5 others like this.
  6. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

There are definitely people on here who insist on equating Banchero's defensive limitations, largely centered around effort and attention, with those of Sengun, which involve athleticism. It's sort of silly but hey it's a basketballl blog.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Defense.

Specifically rim protection and switch 1-5 ability.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Effort and attitude are real issues.

Melo never learned or committed to defense, for example.

And not saying Banchero is Melo.

lkrockets likes this.
  9. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I certainly wasn't implying that they aren't issues, but I don't think that they overlap with Sengun's in a way that makes them "redundant weaknesses" in the sense used by Stone.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The redundant weaknesses are defense, rebounding, switchability and 3 point shooting.

Nook, ilias and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not going to argue.

Just look up their draft profiles if you havent watched them.

Those redundant weaknesses are not made up.

Nook likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yup.

Forgot about 3ball ability, shooting 3fficiency and rebounding.

But those are more fixable than the defense imo.

Anyone believe that Banchero is going to walk in to NBA and be a plus defender is in for a rude awakening.

Let's get him to average defender first.

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Member

You are correct and I agree with what you said about his physical profile. In fairness, he’s not a shot blocker and he does move a little slow backpedaling. I don’t know if I buy that he is really that slow laterally though. He consistently cuts off baseline drives from forwards. It’s the guards that give him trouble and he’s usually backpedaling when he gets burnt. On top of that he does make a lot of defensive mistakes like giving up corner 3s because he’s out of position. I am hoping with coaching those things can be solved. I am also counting on his effort level going up if he were to share usage with Green on offense. He did so much on offense for Duke I wonder how much of, if any of his lethargy was fatigue or conserving energy.

Two things make it not an ideal pairing with Sengun. One is defense. How is that going to work? Sengun really could use a definsive minded big to pair with. The team needs an enforcer. I could see a front court of Banchero, Garuba and Sengun working some point in the future but that only exacerbates problem #2. Spacing. To properly utilize Banchero, you need shooting around him so that he can work inside. Willl Sengun be good enough from 3 to make this possible? Will it put Sengun in a role that doesn’t cater to his strengths? I do see a world where they can work well together on offense though. I think it’s important for Rockets fans to consider that building the team around Sengun is a mistake. Yes we all love him but whether he’s a 6th man or even on another team someday… tbd. If we draft Wemby next year it would have been foolish and counterproductive to talk about who fits with Sengun.

Instead of asking how he Banchero fits with Sengun, I think the more pertinent question should be, how does he fit with Jalen Green. I believe it is a dream fit on offense. Banchero pick and roll with Green as the roll man. I’m telling you guys…. Green sets a pick and then darts either to the rim or the corner. He’s so fast he’s going to beat Banchero’s man to his spot every freaking time. And if he doesn’t, now Banchero can go to work on Green’s man. The defense has to collapse one way or another and I trust Banchero to make the right read. They just would be incredible together and that’s only just one example. Perhaps if they can lean on each other on offense, they will be more engaged and rested on defense. People keep saying that you can’t have a starting 5 with 2 bad defenders. I agree completely. The question is always followed by asking if Banchero has the ability to be a good defender. I think he has some tools but who knows. I think we should really also be asking - does Jalen Green have the ability to become a plus defender? There is a chance. That is why you take BPA this early in a rebuild. Especially when you are blessed with a top 3 pick. It’s too early to really speculate about fit. I mean we are literally trying to find players that fit our rookie players from last year. Those players don’t really exist anymore. We have a crop of 2nd year players who are already grinding in May. Let’s hope for lots of improvement. But not too much because #1 pick next year is the holy grail.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bad defense is the commonality.

The reasons for the commonality can be different.

For example, Banchero has better lateral agility and more vertical pop than Sengun.

However, Sengun is the more effective and efficient rim protector and disruptor (steals, deflections, etc.) because he plays defense with much higher effort and has much more active hands.

No matter the reasons, the bottom line so far is the same, both are limited defensively.

Same with Green.

Nook and anchel like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

When engaged and when playing with right technique, Paolo should be an average NBA defender.

But defensive motor is a trait. Not everyone has it.

And neither Sengun or Banchero will ever be plus shot blockers due to lack of elite length, only 7'0.5 wingspan.

#55 D-rock, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am down with any of the big 3...

DD

Nelly, ajc123, Rashmon and 3 others like this.
  17. Chamillionaire

Trade Wood to the highest bidder.
    Addition by subtraction.

Draft one of the top 3 guys.
    Give the ball to KPJ and Green.

Sengun
    (3)
    KMJ
    Green
    KPJ

JC
    (17)

That's the core IMO.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

Ain’t that the truth. Otherwise PJ Tucker wouldn’t have a job. Paolo looks good because he isn’t backpedaling in those clips :D Still for a 6’10 dude he moves pretty dang well.

D-rock likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Never forget that beautiful passing pair of bigs that Sacramento put on the floor: Vlade and Webber.

I've dreamt of a championship of passing bigs like them for many a year.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Orlando and OKC while having superstars in the past were never at the historic level of the Rockets for example.

It is like having the burden to prove in court.