1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chet is pretty nimble and coordinated for his size

look at what he’s able to do defending the paint and finishing at the rim while not even being 200 lbs in college…imagine if he gets up to even just 220

Jalen Duren was 250 lbs, and could do nothing against Chet…Chet fights and knows how to work with what he’s got…he may be thin, but he’s not soft

Gobert heading into the league

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gobert now

[​IMG]

but people act like Chet is the exception when it comes to improving ones body and getting stronger

Chet is capable of providing elite rim protection, and unlike someone like Gobert, he actually has offensive skills outside of just dunking…if Gobert had Chet’s current level of offensive skill, he’s 1 of the top bigs in this league easily…Chet is more skilled than Mobley too

Chet might not be killing it in the post or a beast in isolation, but all a big has to do is be able to run the floor and catch the ball to be able to get a decent amount of points…Gobert can’t do anything but dunk, and he doesn’t even have great hands, but just dunking and offensive boards was enough to have him averaging 16 ppg this year

Chet can run, dunk, shoot, and has some off the dribble game

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair.
    Paolo has a more advanced and less prone to mistake handle.
    Chet has a good handle but nowhere near Paolo’s

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mobley averaged 16, 9, and 3 in the games he played without Allen…

A rookie wasn’t able to hold up the defense for the entire team as the lone big providing any sort of defense without Allen. I’m shocked

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Sharpe is a possibility with so many unknowns, but he's a lot shorter than i had hoped for him to play the 3 next to Green

Reeko likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a controversial pick, if that happens. I have mixed feelings about Chet, and only because of his physique. He's an impact player, no doubt about it, and might end up being able to play at an elite level for years. In that case, I'm wrong to have doubts.

If he gets "broken in half," so to speak, by some creature like Draymond Green or the equivalent (my concern) and doesn't hold up for a reasonable length of time, my concerns are justified, in my opinion. Chet's more of a gamble than Smith or Banchero or Ivey (another guy I like), but could end up better than any of the rest. Who knows? That's one of the great things about the draft. The gamble, the mystery.

#2005 Deckard, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Yung-T, BigMaloe, Easy and 3 others like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Chet is just skinny, he’s not fragile.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. a time to chill

Paolo Banchero Wants All the Smoke: ‘Anybody You Put on Me Is a Mismatch’
    https://www.complex.com/sports/paolo-banchero-interview-nba-draft

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Can't wait. Hope it's Paolo.

Bonus points for Paolo giving a Clutchfans shout-out. You know how to become an instant Rockets legend on day 1.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I can't believe he averaged 17.2 points a game without being the focal point of offense

11. what

what Member

The best thing about Paolo, and what people might overlook, is that he is deliberate as opposed to dynamic.
    That could be considered a detriment, but I think that the game seems slow to him in his mind. Think: Tim Duncan.
    I really think Paolo has a Tim Duncan mentality and type of game.
    He is probably the best prospect in the draft due to his size and smarts.
    I am coming around on him.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

u literally said he was Harrison Barnes and a bland prospect just yesterday…this is some low effort trolling, do better

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chebari going 1 and 2 was never in question

the reason I lurked on the OKC reddit page after the lottery order was established is because unlike us, they actually have a choice of who to pick, so I wanted to see who between Chet and Paolo the fans would gravitate towards

D-rock likes this.
  16. what

what Member

I watched him again to see if I was missing something.
    What I think I missed was the fact that he looked bland: and I took that for being a weakness, but today I saw that he might be that Tim Duncan kind of bland. I thought you’d be happy that I see value in him.
    It all depends on how smart he is and how much of a will to win he has, but he has some good traits.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

so all throughout the college season and the months heading up to the draft, he was Harrison Barnes to u, and then all it took was 24 hours to go to from Barnes to Tim Duncan and the best prospect in the draft…

that means u were doing all that talking yesterday while having done basically zero research, or u were trolling

Drift Monkey, BMoney and D-rock like this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

HTownTmac1, Bo6 and Chamillionaire like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Woj bout to have the entire first round leaked before tomorrow.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The 24 hour turnaround is ridiculous....

But it is a bit fair to say the deliberate nature of his game is hard to scout. It works for some people. For others it just becomes an athletic impediment to them becoming the best version of threnselves.

Somewhat ironic as with JG he was always going to fast and needed to learn how to slow down the game - in his mind and on the court - to he the best version of himself.

I do think Paolo will have to learn how to speed up his game at times. He’s incredible in transition to me because that’s when he’s playing his fastest and at that size it’s kind of unstoppable. Full transition, semi transition where the half push at least gets a legit mismatch on him and he goes to work fast with a dribble drive quick spin layup type thing.

There’s definitely an element of his game in halfcourt where he slows down too much at times. This is the biggest issue with KPJ imo. You can’t just speed it up and have it work though. It’s a processing thing as much as just going faster. I think Pailo’s B-ball iq is incredibly high though and he’ll figure it out fast.

Sengun has a deliberate nature to his game too but it never feels too slow.

As everyone knows the issue will be fitting it all together. JG I think would thrive with more of a triangle esque offense. I think you can be successful with that with Alpi being that Pau Gasol big mixing in some of that Jokic esque high post offense. KPJ with the ball less in his hands and playing more off ball in that type of system makes sense to me too. So where/how does Paolo fit? That’s hebiffensive question.

The upsides to me are that all 4 can create a bit. JG and Alpi - even when he’s slow - should work to “speed up” KPJ and Paolo. Alpi and Paolo should both be incredible pick-setters. That’s a HUGE plus to me. I abhored Woods picks. Alpi and Paolo should be able to figure out a fun high-low game. Both are really good at hitting cutters or passing out to the 3 point line.

There’s no clear “this is the system to run” ala Warriors constant movement or Harden Rockets 5 out iso with 5 man PnRs.

I truly think a modernized triangle that incorporates the 3 ball better makes the most sense. It allows you to quickly unite he set and take advantage of a PnR or a deep Alpi post while at the same time having the bones of a system in place that you can revert to easily, has some movement but not too much, doesn’t rely on a pure PG attack, benefits from so many players being capable playmakers passers even if none is that Nash level maestro, has variability in ways you can score (the main clear problem with heliocentric ball it’s always the same time and again and if that doesn’t work you’re screwed).

But whether it’s that or something else who knows what silas can implement. Whatever it is he needs to take advantage of each players strengths and weaknesses a bit more than last year which often felt like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

clutchdabear likes this.