1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

GREAT POINT !!!

People who want to TANK and rebuild dont realize that recovering from tanking/losing is extremly difficult and takes years to fix

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not true. Reggie's stats are a lot better than Richmond's.

Career TS% Richmond: 55.7, Reggie: 61.4
    Carrer Off Rating: 110, Reggie 121.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millere01.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/richmmi01.html

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

We have no choice but to build around Martin, what is the alternative?

4. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Don't know. It all depends on what Morey can do. Do we scrap everything and rebuild? Do we gamble on a 'superstar'? Do we go for someone like Iggy and Wallace and hope that a lineup of Lowry-Martin-Iggy/Wallace-Scola - C to be named can help us compete?

I really like Martin. I don't want to come off like I don't. I don't agree he can be our centerpiece. However, I wouldn't trade him to get a 'superstar'. He is the perfect complimentary piece. Someone who can really do wonders next to a viable 'star'.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

So you're saying that Martin already isn't doing wonders? I don't see how Martin could possible play any better than he already is.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

Reggie is more efficient, I wouldn't say better.

Richmond has more points, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks. He was in more all-star games as well and he played consistently on worse teams with worse coaches which would definitely affect his efficiency.

My point being that Reggie is universally acclaimed as being a big star and clutch playoff performer, whereas most people forget that richmond even existed.

7. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Don't mix up my words. I didn't say he was playing like crap. I said he could do wonders with someone else to his side. Maybe he could be more effective with someone like Iggy next to him. Martin is playing great. However, I just said 'wonders' to illustrate the chance he could be better in that situation. Nobody can see the future.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

That's the point of my post, building around Kevin Martin means that Iggy/Wallace trades are a bad idea, instead we should be pursuing Varejao, Nene trades.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Very good observation. This is why I feel the Heat don't dominate. Wade and James work best with the ball in their hands so they take turns. I don't know if the defense of Wade offsets Martins better balance with James but it is certainly an intriguing idea.

10. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Why would it be a bad idea to get Iggy/Wallace and have them at the SF next to Martin? Just curious on your view point.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What about the 14 years since 1997 of not even coming close to reaching the Finals -is that long enough for you? This team has maybe rolled out 3-4 teams (2005, 2007, 2008, 2009) that had a somewhat reasonable chance of making noise in the playoffs, with only one of them winning a series. That's not a good ratio in 14 seasons of "reloading"

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Welcome to mediocrity.

13. trugoy

trugoy Member

The reason you want to get iggy and Wallace is to get better offense while still getting good defense.

Iggy takes 12 shots a game, wallace 13.

Battier takes 7.

So you have to come up with 5-6 extra shots a game from somewhere? Most likely it is coming from Scola or Martin.

So by trading for Iggy/Wallace, you've decreased our offensive efficiency by taking shots from our most efficient players and giving to less efficient players. You haven't really improved our defense either, since Iggy/Wallce defense is at best a lateral move from Battier.

14. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Building around Kevin Martin? Ehhh....he is a very good player but he isn't the traditional "centerpiece" player. Does that mean we need to gut our roster for one? Not necessarily. With the pieces they have now the Rockets are fairly close to contending. They are MORE than good at the guard spots (probably best in the league with Brooks, Lowry, Martin, and Courtney Lee). They need to upgrade at the 3 and 5 spot buts that's about it. They need to play Terrence Williams and bench Bud.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

More like 7 years of "rebuilding" and 7 years of trying to win. They got plenty of lotto picks in the years leading up to 2003, including a #1 pick, a #2 pick and a #7 pick. The #1 pick produced until he got hurt. The #2 pick mostly stuffed stat sheets. The #7 pick is now dead.

16. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

On the extra shots, to get those players we would have to give up a player or two. The shots those players took would be given to the incoming players. And even so, that is up to the coach to designate and what plays to run and what roles to given. Mind you Iggy is a focus on the 76ers, the main guy. If he were to come here, his role would change.He wouldn't be forced to take as many shots. He wouldn't be the main offensive weapon. His job would probably be set up, defense and do the little things. However, that is just guesswork. I'm not a coach.

As for the lateral move in defense. I respectfully disagree. Iggy is a much better defensive player at this point.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First, that is one team in the entire history of the NBA. And while nobody in their lineup may have been elite, EVERYBODY in their starting lineup was all-star caliber.

More to the point, WHAT IS YOUR POINT? You're clearly just arguing with me to argue with me now. Because that wasn't an era. It was a single championship. And it occurred during the era of the Kobe/Shaq Lakers (which the OP mentioned as one of the reasons that the Miller led Pacers shouldn't be expected to have won a championship). And, personally, I think it was a bit of a fluke.

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

Iggy is 3rd in shot attempts on the Sixers behind Brand and Holiday. But the point is we don't need his offense, we are very good on offense already, and adding him will not significantly add to that.

In terms of defense, regardless of whether you think Iggy is a big upgrade over battier or not, adding a SF is not going to have the same impact as adding a C.

So when we have limited assets, trading for a defensive C is a much bigger priority than upgrading the SF. Especially since the assets used to do so would likely be the same, as in if we do get Iggy we won't have any more assets to get a C.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I disagree on the Spurs. Detroit actually beat the Pacers to get to the Finals that year. MAYBE Miami but that's a big MAYBE. And I think they'd have been slaughtered by the Kobe/Gasol Lakers. Gasol may be no Shaq, but that Laker team top to bottom is much stronger than the Kobe/Shaq Lakers.

20. trugoy

trugoy Member

I think the point is that we don't have a Shaq or a Kobe or a Duncan, we don't have the assets to trade for one(not that any are available), the only option right now is to build around our best player.